TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Dermatographia

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hope808 Posted - 09/19/2005 : 07:36:37

This is a skin condition that seems similar to hives. I developed dermatographia 1.5-2 years ago just before I saw Dr. Sarno. My understanding is that most of these skin conditions are TMS equivalents. However, a doctor not familiar with TMS recently told me that it is genetic. Not surprisingly, it has flared up since I heard that news.

Has anyone else had dermatographia? Do you think it is a TMS equivalent?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
drziggles Posted - 09/19/2005 : 20:17:39
Actually, as Hope mentions, dermatographia would be more akin to "hives," which can be an allergic symptom but also part of anxiety or TMS. It can be seen in some inflammatory conditions as well, such as lupus, so a full medical work up would be wise. I don't think you can label it genetic, necessarily, but obviously I don't know all of the details of your history.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if, like hives, it can be part of TMS. If you have other TMS stuff, that would make sense.

Naturally, you should consult with your doctor before making any medical decisions.
Tunza Posted - 09/19/2005 : 14:58:27
Hi hope808,

I found this abstract:
quote:

Increased neurogenic inflammation in fibrositis syndrome.
Littlejohn, G.O., Weinstein, C., Helme, R.D.

Monash University Department of Medicine, Prince Henry's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia.

Mechanically induced vasodilatation or flare on the skin, known as dermatographia, is a common clinical observation in fibrositis syndrome and is thought to be a neurogenically mediated axon reflex response. In our study, mechanically and chemically induced flares were quantitated in 13 patients with fibrositis syndrome and 14 control subjects. There was a reduced threshold for chemically induced flare response and the area of flare was greater in patients compared to controls, although there was a wide range of responses in both groups. There was also a significant positive correlation between mechanically and chemically induced flares, and the number of tender points in all subjects correlated with the size of the chemically induced flare. We suggest that exaggerated neurogenic inflammatory responses in patients with fibrositis syndrome reflect increased activity of polymodal nociceptors of unmyelinated primary afferent nerves. This increased receptor activity may also contribute to the pain and tenderness experienced by these patients.

Fibrositis is another term for fibromyalgia which Sarno has stated is TMS. So my interpretation of the above abstract is that dermatographia is a related symptom and therefore is TMS.

Tunza
holly Posted - 09/19/2005 : 14:09:21
I don't know exactly about your exact condition but I can assure firsthand that skin conditions are indeed another form of tms. when I hated my job I couldn't touch paper without my fingertips burning. I also had eyelid flareups in the past. All are gone but that finger/hand skin problem was a doosey. It is gone now and so is that business I owned and eventually hated! Iwas told all sorts of things by a dermo. but it was just tms. so what else is new?

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000