TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cjbdrm Posted - 05/26/2006 : 09:11:56
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/03/2006 : 07:05:34
Note that this curriculum in "conflict resolution" and "violence prevention" may also encourage emotional repression as children will be encouraged to behave or react in a certain way and any other way will not be considered socially unacceptable. This is the stuff TMS is made of. The fact of the matter we will repress no matter what curriculum we offer and in many ways if we did not repress we would not be able survive in the world. But telling children that their feelings are invalid or they should not do this or that is indeed the beginning of the repression process in a child.

The thing is with children is you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't. One can never predict the overall outcome because we may never know what goes on inside any child.
carbar Posted - 06/02/2006 : 22:33:22
quote:
Originally posted by Special One

But how could we, as children, have helped ourselves? How could I have avoided the autoimmune response or change it now? How can we help our children avoid tms? These are some of my questions lately. Any ideas?

I have been asking the same questions, too. Having recently discovered TMS and having developed pain while still a teenager, I am definitely angry that the adults in my life didn't know about TMS or offer medical/psychological help that would have saved me from being in pain for 7 years. But, repressing emotions definitely starts young, so where do we intervene as adults. I am in school for early childhood education, and having worked with kids 3-6, I can definitely see TMS even in kids so young. The stomachache is the classic one. I had a few students who processed stressful days by feeling physically sick. While I could see that some of my students were making this association, I didn't really know what to say to them or have the time in the classroom to sit and talk it out with one student. I remember when I was in first grade I used to get really bad headaches, and I also remember not liking first grade or all the tests we had to start taking.

On the bright side, young kids today have curriculum in "conflict resolution" and "violence prevention" which basically teaches the language of talking about feelings and solving problems through dialogue. Anger is obviously a big one and there is a lot to tell kids about how sometimes when you are angry or scared you feel hurt in your tummy or butterflies in your chest, etc. Since I had none of that as a kid, I hope I am helping raise a generation that will be more skilled in processing emotions and being intuitive about the mind-body connection since they've been exposed to it since Pre-K.

Here's a link to one of the curriculums I have worked with, called Second Step: http://www.cfchildren.org/cfc/ssf/ssf/ssindex/

Thanks for listening!
Special One Posted - 05/31/2006 : 17:37:30
You mentioned that you had tms since childhood. I was thinking back to physical things that went on as a child and I remember having a few asthma attacks in fifth grade when I had a mean teacher. I got out of her class and the attacks disappeared. In high school I was always trying to pop my back on the desk chair because if discomfort. During basketball tryouts I got shoulder pain that I assumed was from inflammation. Most likely tms from the pressure of competition. My autoimmune thyroid condition was noticed around age 12. I wonder if that was due to anything going on in my life and not just some unexplainable physical oddity in my body. But how could we, as children, have helped ourselves? How could I have avoided the autoimmune response or change it now? How can we help our children avoid tms? These are some of my questions lately. Any ideas?
joli Posted - 05/31/2006 : 15:18:26
thank you for your story. amazing and inspiring. we are lucky to have and share the knowledge we gain through our work. thanks to Sarno and people like you.
Joli

namaste!
Tunza Posted - 05/26/2006 : 17:36:33
Yes, thanks for posting your SuccessStory to the forum. You sound a lot like me, with all your TMS equivalents (esp anxiety, and pain in multiple areas).

Like you I've had success with some TMS equivalents but other ones are more stubborn.

Keep on posting your progress!

Tunza
tennis tom Posted - 05/26/2006 : 09:36:07
CONGRATULATIONS Chris and THANK YOU for posting your TMS success story! It's an inspiraton to me and I'm sure will help others.

Cheers,
tt

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000