TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 disc extrusion and foot numbness

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dharmabum253 Posted - 04/26/2007 : 08:47:09
I had an MRI four years ago that said I have an extruded disc at L4-L5. This means the disc material has leaked out. It is not simply bulging. I have had pain down the back of my legs off an on for about 7 years. My right foot has ben numb constantly for the last four years. Has anyone else had this issue and recovered from it? Perhaps I can believe that the sciatic pain is related to TMS, but the foot numbness is constant with an anatomic correlate. I would appreciate anyone's insight on this. Thanks so much!

David
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
skizzik Posted - 04/27/2007 : 08:27:33
I suppose the acute pain from an extrusion w/b worse at first, but then thru dehydration and body absorbtion the liguid would have to dissapate. Thats the opinion I get from everything I've come upon. If the liquid (or toothpaste material as Sarno calls it on the audio tape) was still present, then infection would've been certain.
According to Sarno, unless the nerve is severed or "severly" compressed (by a tumor, or fracture) then the numbness, elec shocks, tingling w/b TMS. He even goes as far as to say that bone spurs are harmless (w/ few exceptions). I would think an extruded disc is nothing compared to a hard fixed bone spur.
sonora sky Posted - 04/27/2007 : 07:41:28
quote:
Originally posted by wharrison

The next thing the doc said almost 2 years ago was if you do not get surgery immediately that I would lose involuntary control of my lower body....Later I went to a PT who told me off the record that this doctor had a reputation for being very knife happy!

Welcome, Will. Wow, aren't you glad your PT devulged this info! And it sounds like you already had some doubts about your MD's diagnosis when you came to Sarno's book. This is a great story. You really saved yourself from a lot of unnecessary suffering. Always trust your instinct.

best,
ss
wharrison Posted - 04/27/2007 : 05:04:35
I have had back problems for a few years now and I have been told the exact same thing; herniated disk at L4-L5. The adjective used was "enormous". The next thing the doc said almost 2 years ago was if you do not get surgery immediately that I would lose involuntary control of my lower body....Later I went to a PT who told me off the record that this doctor had a reputation for being very knife happy! I had read Dr Sarno's book Mind over Back Pain and had a hunch that it was TMS all along. I am about 50% convinced now. I went to Dr Schechter's website and took his questionaire. If this is true, I am TMS 100%.

It is so great to hear that someone else has the numb foot/lower leg, severe butt pain and is now in remission.

I was able to recover a few times, so I know I will again, but I want to make sure I control my anxiety/tension to really manage TMS.

After I read Dr Sarno's book, I noticed that every time..I mean every time I have a flare up it is related to stress in my life. This has me more convinced.

My mother also has back problems and other issues that I believe are TMS. I think we are both sensitive to stress. I get my TMS honestly..ha

Thanks for the posts and I am glad to have found this forum.

Will
Dave Posted - 04/26/2007 : 15:37:45
I suggest you re-read Healing Back Pain more carefully.

It is common for TMS to target symptoms precisely. Your MRI shows a herniation at L4-L5, and you've been told a common symptom is foot numbness. TMS may choose a symptom likely to convince you that a structural "abnormality" is to blame, because it has a high chance of being a successful distraction.

It is imperative to accept that certain symptoms can be psychogenic despite so-called evidence of a structural problem.
dharmabum253 Posted - 04/26/2007 : 14:28:10
Thanks, Lori! I'm really glad to hear you recovered! Yes, I have read a couple of Dr. Sarno's books. As far as I know, according to the conventional wisdom, a rupture at L5-S1 would give you numbness in your foot rather than your butt. According to the medical community, the numbness in my foot is where it would be expected. So, if it is TMS my subconscious is probably going to need a little more convincing!

I'm hoping that someone else has had a similar experience and I look forward to hearing more feedback!

David
mizlorinj Posted - 04/26/2007 : 14:17:37
Hi David. Have you read any of Dr. Sarno's books? Numbness is definitely a sign of TMS. I have a large herniated disc at L5 S1, so just below yours, and on the xray it's clear there is no fluid left in the disc. I had very bad butt cheek pain and bizarre numbness in the cheek and just above my thigh. Burned, felt wet, was numb all over the area. But I no longer have any pain or weird numbness because the herniated (and quite empty) disc was not the cause of my pain!!
When I went to the emergency room in pain in November, the doc said it was sciatica. Other docs said it's the herniation causing the pain blah, blah, blah. Surgery could work, but might not. Thank God I found Dr. Sarno's books and the doc himself before I did anything drastic. Following Dr. Sarno's treatment plan, I am pain- and numbness-free.
-Lori

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000