TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Directly from the spine surgeons mouth....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Newmom Posted - 09/07/2007 : 09:35:38
I need to share this, it's more proof..

I had a lengthy discussion with my spine surgeon a week ago. This discussion occurred professionally, and I have not treated with him in almost 1 year.

Anyway, after our meeting, I figured that I would run the mind-body theory by him to get his thoughts since it was the last time that I would work with him & I don't plan on going back to see him for useless treatment.

Wow, was I suprised. Not only has he heard of Dr. Sarno, he had read a few of his books (and other doctors, literature, etc.) years ago. I was stunned, shocked, etc. This is a surgeon who is very well known, well respected, and takes over 6 weeks to get an appointment when everyone else in his practice takes 1 week.

I spent about 10 minutes with this doctor discussing TMS and Dr. Sarno. He has had patients over the years tell him about TMS and Dr. Sarno (among other doctors) and he was even aware of this forum.

Bottom line, he is a spine surgeon, and that is how he makes his living. He was firm to tell me that he is a doctor and he is helping his patients medically and sometimes surgery is necessary. While I couldn't get him to agree that surgery wasn't necessary (I only discussed herniated discs because that is what I had), he did agree with me on the theory that if there was still pain after the surgery for any unreasonable length of time, it was not being caused by structural damage most times, and that it could be coming from the mind!!!

I asked him why he didn't tell me about this, when I was sitting on the exam table at his office in so much pain and telling him that I was afraid of the surgery and asking him for options other than surgery, for the pain I was in. Afterall, when I first treated with him, I had worked with him before and we had a comfort level with one another, and I expected the truth beyond a medical diagnosis.

Guess what he told me - He said don't you remember when I told you that I had three herniated discs in my back and that I did not have surgery and he is able to function normally and has no more pain.

I REMEMBERED THIS FROM MY APPOINTMENT. AT THE TIME, I THOUGHT HE WAS CRAZY. HE TOLD ME THAT MY BODY WOULD HEAL ON IT'S OWN & TO QUIT FOCUSING ON THE NEGATIVE AND PERMANENT DISABILITY. (This was pre-conditioned in my mind because of my work.)

Image that, a spine surgeon with herniated discs and electing not to have surgery, interesting,huh.

That was his bottom line to me...Is he a believer in Sarno's teachings.... YES! YES! Will he ever become a treating practitioner for TMS, NO! NO!

There it is directly from a spine surgeon.

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikescott_98 Posted - 09/11/2007 : 11:31:29
I seem to remember a surgeon that contributed to TDM said he tries to suggest TMS, but sometimes preforms surgery because patients will not accept the TMS theory. Does that sound familiar or is my mind playing tricks on me?
Lizzie Posted - 09/11/2007 : 03:45:08
Before I heard of Sarno and was in unbelievable pain and diagnosed with herniated discs, I went to see the spine surgeon/consultant in my area. He surprised me because at that time I think I would have done anything to relieve the pain including surgery. He told me he used to operate on backs but he hardly ever did anymore and preferred not to now. He also said when I asked if I was doing the right thing seeing my PT, that he did not understand how traction used by PTs made any sense at all but that it seemed to help some people. I am grateful to him now for helping me avoid surgery at a vulnerable/painful moment but it took me 3 1/2 more years before I discovered Sarno's theories. I am still trying to put TMS into practice with mixed successes but at least I feel more in control of my health.

Lizzie
marytabby Posted - 09/10/2007 : 07:25:26
My primary care doc had put me through all kinds of treatments, meds, you name it, and one day I had the same conversation with him, talking about Sarno, etc. He said he was very familiar with him and his work. I asked him, then why didn't you mention it to me?
His answer was: "you were the one who wanted all the tests, MRI, etc."
DUH! Cuz I didn't know any different.
How's that for an answer?
weatherman Posted - 09/09/2007 : 00:13:08
quote:
Originally posted by justme

Weatherman-

If you dont mind my asking where do you live? You mentioned something about "Montana 100 miles away" I am looking for comrades in the area of Montana in which I live.

Justme

I live just outside of Butte, only 5 minutes from Montana as people like to say. The knee doc I saw way back when was in Ennis.

Weatherman

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
carbar Posted - 09/08/2007 : 23:44:05

I guess it's interesting that the TMS sufferer's mind has to be in the place to accept the TMS concept. Jowever, I don't think a surgeon's office is a conducive environment to accept TMS diagnosis.

He sits you down in the clinical exam room after you had to wait for an appt coz surgery ran late, and then tells you a message that could EASILY come across as: "well, me, mr. SuperDoc, clearly better and more educated and healthier than YOU because of my Superior knowledge and Expensive Education gets by just fine with three herniated discs. So, I mean if you think you are equally awesome, brilliant and wealthy as me then MAYBE you could do the same."

Sarno sits you in a comfy room (possibly your living room if you are just reading his ideas) and tells you there's nothing to worry about anymore, just stuff to figure out. He tells you I don't DO surgery on patients like you. And he reassures you that there are MILLIONS of patients like you.

justme Posted - 09/08/2007 : 12:22:44
Weatherman-

If you dont mind my asking where do you live? You mentioned something about "Montana 100 miles away" I am looking for comrades in the area of Montana in which I live.

Justme
weatherman Posted - 09/08/2007 : 00:36:29
I can't say I've run across any conventional docs who have said that pains can be emotionally based. However, I have run across a few over the years who have said that certain pains were nothing to worry about activity-wise, and to go ahead and do what you want. One in particular was a famous knee surgeon who treated lots of NFL players and happened to live in Montana about 100 miles away. I saw him many years ago when I was dealing with bad chondromalacia, and was trying to psych myself up for some kind of surgery. To my complete surprise, he said he wouldn't think of doing surgery, and that basically I could go out and do whatever I wanted without really hurting anything. Astonishingly, he was right and my pain was virtually gone in a month. The appointment lasted nearly an hour, and was only somewhat more expensive than the typical assembly-line, get-em in and out orthopedic practice. If he's still around he's very old and long retired - but definitely the most impressive doc I ever dealt with, very laid back and down to earth.

Weatherman

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
armchairlinguist Posted - 09/07/2007 : 18:27:41
He seems to be in a similar state to the one I was in when I first found Sarno: Fix the physical, and maybe the rest of it is emotional. Unwilling to acknowledge that maybe the whole darn thing is emotional. It's a strange state. I have to wonder if for him it gives him just enough peace of mind so that he doesn't have to give up his multi-hundred-thousand-dollar job...

Still, better than most surgeons!

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
skizzik Posted - 09/07/2007 : 16:38:37
newmom, great post! I was happy to read it.

why did you go back however? Just for more re-asurance? Did you have a flare up?

Did he mention just how the body heals up?

And yes, I can't help but think you need a new line of work.
art Posted - 09/07/2007 : 14:53:19
Back surgery is so iffy I don't know how those guys can sleep at night...They have to know a goodly portion of what they do is bogus...
Littlebird Posted - 09/07/2007 : 13:44:21
Wow, great post! This should be encouraging to anyone with herniated discs who is unsure of the TMS concept.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000