TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 U.K. newbie with some questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elorac Posted - 08/15/2008 : 10:39:28
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here so please excuse me if I am asking questions previously asked. I have been looking on here for a few weeks since I discovered Dr. Sarno's books and found out about TMS. I have been following the advice in the books and can say that my symptoms (mostly low back related) have definitely improved. I am still a bit stunned by this revelation about TMS, I knew a long time ago that my symptoms had a psychological connection, but didn't know how to get control over it, and I never in a million years would have imagined that my mind could be the actual CAUSE of the original "injury" (bulging disc after a seemingly innocent bending incident). Like most people I was freaked out at being told I had a disc problem, and things went downhill from there, 10 months ago. I think I'm at the point now where the only thing holding back full recovery is the fear of resuming normal physical activity. I haven't been formally diagnosed with TMS yet, but I hope to see Georgie Oldfield in Huddersfield soon. When I read Healing Back Pain, I felt like Dr. Sarno had written the book just for me, it related so much to my personality type and circumstances etc. So, in the meantime, if anyone can help me with the following I would be most grateful.
1. Has anyone been to see Georgie Oldfield, and how did you get on?

2. Anyone who has been diagnosed with TMS, what has been said to you to reassure you about bending and sitting? I know that Dr. Sarno says that these things are not going to cause harm but it's hard to get past the conditioning of being told that sitting and bending puts more pressure on the discs. This is the only thing that keeps a seed of doubt in my mind. I'm sure that my symptoms are TMS, but need some reassurance to have the courage to against the mainstream medical advice.
I hope someone can offer some words of encouragement.
Many thanks.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mizlorinj Posted - 08/17/2008 : 19:30:03
Elorac, my diagnosis was herniated disc (see success stories for details). In fact, it was herniated and empty--I saw it on the xray and MRI. It took a few weeks for the pain to subside once I learned about TMS; I wasn't able to bend all the way over easily for a few months. But now I can do anything. Once in awhile someone who knows I had this pain episode says "be careful how you bend". I say "thanks" (depending whom it is who said it) and chuckle to myself because I know bending is not harmful.

Anyway, I am completely healed now, and am doing exercises, etc. with no problem at all.

Best wishes!!!
Elorac Posted - 08/17/2008 : 14:14:51
Thanks for the responses. Thanks especially to Hilary for leading me to the thread about Georgie, I hadn't come across that before. I have plucked up the courage today and emailed to make an appointment for next week for an assessment/diagnosis. I will post next weekend to let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.
HilaryN Posted - 08/16/2008 : 16:40:09
Hi Elorac,

I haven't seen Georgie, as I got cured before there were any TMS practitioners here in the UK, but I've had a lot of correspondence with her and chatted a couple of times on the phone with her and I think she's a very nice person. She seems a very caring person and very committed to TMS.

Here's a thread on her:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4200

All the best,

Hilary N
Peg Posted - 08/15/2008 : 18:39:08
Hi Elorac,
Mainstream medicine tells us a lot of things that aren't true, so if we look at the evidence that has been collected, it helps us to get past our previous conditioning.

Studies have shown bulging, herniated and degeneration of discs, spinal stenosis and even arthritis in people with NO back pain.

Studies show that bedrest is not an effective treatment for chronic back pain.

Studies also show that a return to physical activity is beneficial.

Studies show more of a correlation between back pain and psychological factors than physical findings.

When I first recovered 8 years ago, I experimented on myself and found that physical activity either improved my symptoms or had no effect, but didn't worsen my pain.By the way my diagnoses were degenerative disc disease and bulging disc. I never saw a TMS Doc, but believe me I'm a TMS'er and proud of it.

You're doing great to have found this information and to be seeing some improvement already (It took me 10 years to find it). Keep at it. Repetition and reminding yourself what's really going on is sometimes necessary.

The FEAR is a main cause of the perpetuation of symptoms.

Good luck
Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei
winnieboo Posted - 08/15/2008 : 11:32:05
Listen to your body. But yes, if you're sure it's TMS, moving and resuming your activities won't cause you harm. My diagnosis was two herniated cervical discs, so I understand, as when a doctor, physical therapist, etc. tells you not to move or to be careful--well now you've got a lot of messages to "undo." Take it at your own pace, both mentally and physically!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000