TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 question on tmj

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
roxygirl577 Posted - 10/02/2008 : 14:13:10
I know I most likely have tms. I'm 22, and almost all my life I have repressed everything that i've experienced and I've gone through so much emotional pain. Even before I heard of tms I stll believed that most of my pain was emotional I just didn't know what to do to make it better. My symptoms include constant neck and shoulder pain, lower back pain and knees. My question is, I know these symptoms such as pain, aching, tingling, burning, weakness are all part of tms but I do also have tmj and never thought that was emotional. Now I'm starting to wonder about that. The thing is, my case is a lot different from others with tmj. I have disc displacement without reduction, meaning my disc is completely locked in front of my joint and I can't open my jaw more than 15mm. MRI's and x-rays all show that it is impossible for my disc to go back and it is already starting to progress into osteoarthritis. I'm just confused on if this could be tms. I want to think it's not physical, but if my disc is physically locked in front of my joint how could it not be?

..also, one more question. I was wondering if anyone has heard of prolotherapy...pretty mcuh it's suppossed to help your body naturally strenghten the muscles. It's a shot that's given and it usually contains dextrose, glucose, etc. I'm going through this right now with my neck, and I'm so confused because now I don't knwo if this is a placebo or not, or if I should stop this treatment so I can 100% focus on my tms. Any help would be much appreciated =]

...i'll edit on this =] ...no one has to answer the tmj part, luckily I have absolutely no pain by this, so I am very fortunate, which also shows me that it very well could be tms because doctors are baffled that it doesn't cause me any pain, I was just curious more than anything. But I would definitely like some advice on the prolothreapy, thank you so much!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
roxygirl577 Posted - 10/08/2008 : 21:58:00
You're completely right Sarah about the pain not being associated with the tmj. I did have pain for the first few months, but it's been almost three years now and I have absolutely no pain there, just the limited opening. Doctors are very shocked that I don't have pain, but I guess that's more proof to the fact that pain is not always associated with an abnormality =]
ChrisSC Posted - 10/08/2008 : 21:23:25
I had jaw pain/popping as part of my list of symptoms. It would "pop out" a few times a day, especially when eating. I didn't know whether or not it was TMS for the first few months after reading Sarno... now I'm sure it was. The two major clues that it was TMS were 1) the first incident was during a stressful bus trip and 2) It happened with high frequency when my head was laying down on a pillow (no pressure at all applied to my jaw from the position I was in, so it was clearly not physical but a strange conditioned response).

I just noticed within the past few days that it has been a few weeks since my jaw has bothered me. It just sort of went away as I did the TMS work without me even realizing.
LuvtoSew Posted - 10/08/2008 : 18:42:39
Sarah- thank you, that gives me hope that I can conquer it. I do eat soft food, I will start chewing more.
Sarah Jacoba Posted - 10/08/2008 : 18:14:48
I can eat fine. My mouth still doesnt open as wide as some people's nor as wide as it used to. But people vary almost 100% in their genetic/personal mouth width (for lack of a more scientific term). And I actually think my jaw works better now; it used to pop all the time (without pain) but it was annoying

when I restricted my diet due to TMJ I felt worse and worse. When I stopped the restrictions it went away. In other words restricting your behavior because of pain always reinforces the pain because it sends your mind the message that the pain is real pathology.

--Sarah Hyacinth Jacoba
"When dream and day unite"
LuvtoSew Posted - 10/08/2008 : 17:38:26
Sarah- So Sarah is your tmj gone now and your able to open your mouth and eat ok?
Sarah Jacoba Posted - 10/08/2008 : 17:22:55
My TMJ story: It was my second TMS symptom after hyperacusis. I had a popping clicking jaw joint most of my life. Developing TMJ pain in 1994 "tightened up" my jaw, which was a clinical finding (only able to open my mouth about 19mm) and my jaw has never gone back to its prior loose popping and clicking state. However the pain of TMJ vanished over time after treating it as TMS. So the clinical finding of a tight jaw ended up having no relationship with pain (or not), despite the two starting at the same time. Kind of weird, huh?

--Sarah Hyacinth Jacoba
"When dream and day unite"
cfhunter Posted - 10/03/2008 : 18:39:48
I don't know it it helps but I have knee and back pain plus butt pain (piriformus) and TMJ. It moves around a lot trying to trick me...so I tell it where to go and keep on running and exercising in a SMART way ( stretching and not overtraining) and I keep on movin on.
roxygirl577 Posted - 10/03/2008 : 12:44:09
okay, thank you =]

i pretty much figured that's what i should do. I want to focus on tms and stop all other treatments. I really wish I could see a tms doctor to be 100% sure that's what I have but there are none relatively close to me.
Hazl Posted - 10/03/2008 : 06:39:36
I've had prolotherapy. I stopped after a neurologist suggested TMS. I canceled one appointment at a time as they came up, and I applied "Sarno" to my symptoms. I've made good progress, and I would not be back to exercising without dealing with the TMS.

Is prolotherapy a placebo? Yes, when the cause is TMS. In my personal experience, it was worth abandoning the prolo because I couldn't do both. Having prolo set me back in dealing with TMS; my mind kept wandering back to the physical, instead of dealing with the emotional. Prolotherapy and TMS treatment don't work well together.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000