TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Still no improvement, psychotherapy?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
richardadams39 Posted - 01/15/2009 : 03:57:25
Hi all,

My pain is now getting worse and worse. I have finished a TMS programme with my local TMS doctor to no avail. I have been doing EFT with no improvement in my symptoms. I have also tried journalling and feel that I have done everything apart from psychotherapy and am obviously worried that it also might not work.

Have any of you guys successfully finished a course of psychotherapy? How long did it take? Do any of you know of a TMS-friendly psychtherapist in London, UK?

I am so, so miserable now. I am at my wit's end and yesterday sat in the toilet at work crying for about 20 minutes. I have written on here before and have been given some sound advice but nothing seems to have worked. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Richard.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
winnieboo Posted - 02/05/2009 : 05:52:05
Hi Richard,
Good luck! I know exactly what you mean. I left the Forum for a couple of months and now that I'm back, so are some of my aches and pains. I am still very suggestible. I think you are wise to focus exclusively on your own work. Take care and all the best.--wb
richardadams39 Posted - 02/05/2009 : 04:49:51
Whilst I really appreciate all your kind words of advice and support, I think it is increasing the anxiety for me knowing that certain people have tried things that didn't work, others that did etc. My knowledge of TMS seems to be making the pain worse and I think I need to focus on my work with my psychotherapist first before jumping to any other conclusions.

To be honest, I think I'm gonna stop looking at this thread, and maybe the forum as a whole.
Cee Posted - 02/04/2009 : 16:25:14
I did see a pain Psychologist a few times for the neuropathy in both my feet, He was recommened by a TMS Doctor in the Boston area. It did help....but to be honest it is 1 1/2 years later and the neuropathy is back.
I have seen a pyschologist (not TMS) and it really didn't help all that much except she did a proceedure on me called EFT (I think) and it helped some. I listened to a beeping noise through head phones while the Pyschologist had me relive events that led up to my pain.

Cee
winnieboo Posted - 02/04/2009 : 15:44:33
Hi all,

Hilary, I'm flattered that you pulled up my quote...I know we all feel like if we can help someone else, then we're having a good day (or at least it improves whatever kind of day we're having)!!
Capn Spanky Posted - 02/04/2009 : 07:40:00

quote:
Originally posted by winnieboo

I think that in order to get well, you have to believe that you can. It's that simple. You have to make a decision that you will do it. You have to salvage some hope somewhere in your crying heart. Summon your faith, summon that last shred of inner strength, whatever you have to do to find the hope and take it from there. You will get better.

I might even take this a step further. In order to get well, you must truly believe you ARE well.
westcoastram Posted - 02/03/2009 : 23:19:40
Hello all,

I've been away from the forum for a while but I check in and thought that I would chime in here on therapists.

Many good points have been made:

- Having a therapist work with you (if they're competent) can help you see your blind spots and allow you to go deeper into issues causing TMS and discover issues you may not know.

- Monte has many good points, even if past trauma is worked with, work needs to be done in the present: often we miss just how pervasive our schemas (formed in the past) cause us TMS pain in the present. And mindfulness practices can extremely helpful here.

- Fear is a huge factor. Another thing a good therapist can help you with is expanding your life back to pre-TMS (or, in many cases, further) levels. Fear goes beyond just "fear of pain or TMS," (although that is very important), fear of life is an issue too.

-Acceptance and Surrender. There is much merit to this. Acceptance is not easy, it is hard. Surrender is counter-intuitive. But, when we can do this, (and good therapists can help) we can affect great change in our lives and it can eliminate all types of pain and suffering (emotional and TMS).

- There is no silver bullet. We are all different and therefore all these issues interact differently in our lives and our psyches. A good therapist will help you discover what works for you.

WCR

PS. Another thing of note: all these topics are dynamic, no one issue can be summed up in a few sentences or even a TMS thread. If there ever was a reason to recommend a good therapist (TMS or otherwise) it is because they can help you explore all these topics fully and with an eye towards health.

Jill Solomon and Arnold Bloch in LA are very good.
forestfortrees Posted - 02/03/2009 : 17:53:35
quote:
getting tired
LOL...
skizzik Posted - 02/03/2009 : 14:20:10
quote:

And Skiz,
I'm not ready to post a success story. I'm very much improved and enthused about the progress, but the road has been complicated. When the time comes and I can pass along something helpful and concise, I will..

wrong answeri warned you!you made me do thisgetting tiredok, I'm done...phew...ok, a forced story won't flow right anyway...
Capn Spanky Posted - 02/03/2009 : 12:58:06
Lately I've been wondering if there is a bit too much emphasis on psychoanalysis and even journaling. Sarno says only 5% of his patients require psychotherapy... and (correct me if I'm wrong here) he doesn't even mention journaling until his third book.

DON'T GET ME WRONG, I believe both are important. But I feel like I've really turned a corner lately, in particular with my chronic elbow pain. And I think it's because of things like winnieboo's quote above, and some of the things that Monte, Marsha, and others have said here in this thread have finally sunk into me.

Stopping all treatment (pain meds, etc.) and resuming full physical activity has been huge too.
HilaryN Posted - 02/03/2009 : 12:50:31
Richard,

Your psychotherapist doesn't have to be "TMS-trained" (although ideally she should be analytically-trained). I think the main thing, if she's open to the TMS concept, is that she reads "The Mindbody Prescription" (there's a section in the appendix directed to psychologists, but she'd need to read the whole book) and maybe "The Divided Mind".

There are others on this forum who have got better using psychotherapists who weren't TMS-trained.

(Edit:) See this thread: http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5204

Hilary N
HilaryN Posted - 02/03/2009 : 12:29:22
quote:

I think that in order to get well, you have to believe that you can. It's that simple. You have to make a decision that you will do it. You have to salvage some hope somewhere in your crying heart. Summon your faith, summon that last shred of inner strength, whatever you have to do to find the hope and take it from there. You will get better.

Winnie, I hope you don't mind me repeating that in big letters.

I would highly recommend to anyone who is still struggling that they print that off and stick it up on the wall in a place where they will see it.

When I was in the struggling stages I put up a sign on the wall saying something like: "Believe in the healing process" because I knew that was vitally important to me getting better.

Hilary N
JohnD Posted - 02/03/2009 : 10:43:10
There are many different routes to success
Monte Posted - 02/03/2009 : 09:49:03
Richard,

In reply to your question...

So this is where I get blasted, but it is Truth and it is the most important advice I could give anyone that is in your situtation.

You know TMS. You know the cause of tms. And you should know that there is a big, huge strategy at work within this disorder.

The #1 thing that you want to communicate back to this disorder strategy is that you accept it 100%. This is Sarno's big, huge key when he says "think psychologically".

That being the case, anything and I really mean anything that you are doing and thinking that is "outside" of yourself is keeping you stuck in this pain disorder. You are distracted and you are communicating back to the disorder that you are not 100% accepting.

You know everything you need to know about tms...do your inner work. Yes have someone help you if you are inclined but the more you search for the fix, talk about it, think about, fear it, begin to doubt it, which leads to more searching and talking and wondering....you get the picture...The pain disorder strategy has you. Why would it let you go?

Monte Hueftle
monte@runningpain.com
richardadams39 Posted - 02/03/2009 : 09:43:47
Thanks winnie - I do totally understand. I may get in touch with Hasanna or Barbara but think it best I ask my own therapist if she thinks it a good idea that they liaise first.

Thanks for all your advice guys - hopefully one day I'll be able to pass on advice to other people!
winnieboo Posted - 02/03/2009 : 09:34:10
Richard,
My therapist has asked that I not post or email her name, or even refer her outside of my town. I hope you understand. She is actually very kind but is not young (70-ish?) and has her hands full with a what appears to be a very busy practice. So sorry...

I honestly don't know if you could be treated successfully with a non-TMS therapist--you would be the best judge! Sarno recommends psychodynamic therapy. My person is psychodynamic and yes, she knows about TMS.

There is so much excellent advice on this thread:
1) know that any therapist won't be your "holy grail"--or "one-stop"
2) know that there are two steps to successful psychotherapy: resolving issues and changing behavior
3) reading is helpful...Claire Weeks was mentioned here...excellent, very in line with Sarno, but I think even more accessible and helpful

I also find MUCH solace in my religious faith.

And Skiz,
I'm not ready to post a success story. I'm very much improved and enthused about the progress, but the road has been complicated. When the time comes and I can pass along something helpful and concise, I will..
forestfortrees Posted - 02/03/2009 : 08:51:25
The Hasana Fletcher and Barbara Kline pages on the wiki survey have email addresses. They both claim to be licensed therapists who have had TMS and treated patients with TMS. They may be willing to speak with your therapist. You might have better luck with them since, by responding to the survey, they have already indicated that they care about TMS and are interested in helping people.
richardadams39 Posted - 02/03/2009 : 06:55:02
Also, winnie - I thought it might be helpful for me to ask my therapist to contact another therapist that has successfully treated a TMS patient. Maybe she could get some tips from her?

Was your therapist TMS-trained? Do you think a non-TMS trained therapist could also successfully treat me?
richardadams39 Posted - 02/03/2009 : 06:52:53
Yeah I agree that Monte's post is very helpful,

"When you start your therapies the other big huge thing is to not make all of this such a big huge thing. Stop talking about it, stop thinking about, stop blogging about it, stop asking about it, wondering, doubting, and searching. All of this is communication back to this pain disorder strategy that it still has you! Even though you are doing the work, if you keep searching, asking, wondering, talking about it, questioning it....gues what....it still has you. And then you think, well maybe I need to find a different therapist, or maybe this is physical, or maybe I have more really big repressed issues...and you guessed it....the pain disorder has you and you are stuck."

Does that mean that those who are yet to recover from TMS should stop looking at this forum, stop being in touch with fellow sufferers etc.?
skizzik Posted - 02/03/2009 : 04:25:58
Monte...very good posts, made me think alot.

btw, Winnie, don't say I did'nt warn you, but I'm waiting for that success story
winnieboo Posted - 02/02/2009 : 19:20:44
Richard, I am not in the UK and unfortunately, I know she doesn't consult via phone, email or internet. I would definitely recommend consulting the wiki list!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000