TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Louise Hay

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Baseball65 Posted - 01/18/2005 : 09:14:14

Hey! I've been reading a book by Louise Hay. Hey! She's sort of metaphysical,and doesn't have Sarno's medical model,but she's eerily in tune with the Mindbody syndrome.Even Bernie Siegel wrote a little thumbs up on her text.

I wouldn't recommend it for any body new to TMS,but once one has absorbed and learned all of Sarno's stuff,it can be a helpful little guide.

She has a little Chart in the middle of her book which is actually so bold as to state which psychological situation allows or encourages which physiological state.i.e. which part of the back will be affected by which problem in your life/head.What is going on when one has allergies,colds,finger pains..

Hell..Holly are you out there? She says conditions of the Toes are related to overconcern with minor details of the future...what do you think?

I perused her list and checked it against my own experience,and from what I have learned she is about 85% correct with MY little Bs type nusaince stuff(colds,allergies,finger pain,accidents)

I know Freud thought this could be done,and have read a couple of his journals(the famous one on "Dora" was fascinating).

Sometime when we have a new something that seemingly come out of nowhere,it would be nice to have at least a starting point to start the Mental investigation.I'm not entirely convinced,as she does not disclose how she came about this checklist,but it is eerily correct based on my past experiences....correct enough that a big time doubter like me is continuing to read her book.

Just wondered if anybody else had read her before?

HEY hay HEY hey!!!!!

I LOVE puns,even when they are baaaaaad!

Baseball65
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Baseball65 Posted - 01/19/2005 : 16:24:45
Hi Anne,Michele,polly ,Hilary,Laura,seth,tom,dave and albert

To Anne: yes,she believes all illnesses are of emotinal/mental origin,and I would NOT recommend this book to someone unless they already were familiar with TMS...I would have laughed it off the Planet back when I was like our buddy...what's his name this week?????

To Albert: When my lower back was hurting I had 10 grand in the bank,was making 70 grand a year,but was THE ONLY SOURCE OF INCOME FOR OUR FAMILY!! it was the deep down dark fear of the kid inside me who didn't think he could continue to succeed.I'm now making 25-35k a year with 40 grand worth of debt,painfree.....go figure.Oh yeah,my wife works now,and is queen career girl...I work around HER schedule.
I'm not rubberstamp certifying Hay's work,I'm just saying for being a non-medical person,the woman is definitely in tune with the reality of health/mind

To Holly..If I could take one book on a tropical Island besides HBP it would be "Harry Potter and the Sorcerors stone"

sometimes it's fun to read for fun....I love Harry Potter....Lord of the rings is cool too,but it's a little to poetry oreinted for me...I like the kid who's an orphan who overcomes all odds

I steal the book from my kids all the time.

love ya' all

Baseball65
n/a Posted - 01/19/2005 : 14:59:18
It's a long time since I read, 'You Can Heal Your Life', before I read Dr Sarno's books, but I seem to remember that she goes too far for me. I'm not sure that some of what she believes would be seconded by Dr Sarno and other TMS trained people.

Can someone who has read her books recently put me right on this - but doesn't she believe that all illnesses are caused by the brain?
Michele Posted - 01/19/2005 : 12:17:35
quote:
Originally posted by Hilary

Michele, left side of the body is receptivity, taking in, feminine energy, women, the mother.

Hilary - thanks!! I started laughing when I read the "feminine energy, women, the mother". All the stressors that are giving me tension!

I have ordered Hay's book from the library. I love to read, and this should be a good one!
polly Posted - 01/19/2005 : 11:53:24
Baseball,
You are a treasure. I just know that great things will happen for you.

Polly
Hilary Posted - 01/19/2005 : 09:46:36
Michele, left side of the body is receptivity, taking in, feminine energy, women, the mother.
Michele Posted - 01/19/2005 : 09:35:05
So what does she say about the LEFT side? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

The arthritis definition really hit home. Now if the left side is about femininity, sexuality, I'm going to laugh out loud.
Laura Posted - 01/18/2005 : 23:50:54
Thanks, Baseball65, for pointing out something I have also mentioned on this board. Two and a half years ago, when my dizziness first started, I looked it up in Louise Hay's book. It said "Flighty, scattered thinking. A refusal to look." I am flighty and my thoughts ARE scattered all over the place. I have mentioned this to others on the dizziness thread.

You can Heal Your Life is an interesting book and hey, if it integrates Dr. Sarno's work then I agree that it would be a good supplement to read. Like Dr. Sarno's theories, Dr. Hay's book requires us to "do the work" i.e. looking inward for healing our bodies. Thank you again for pointing out this wonderful book.

By the way, have you read the story at the back of the book about Louise Hay's life? It's a tear jerker.

Laura
tennis tom Posted - 01/18/2005 : 23:37:32
Hi Baseball65,

I really appreciate the info from Louise Hay in regards to my hip. The interpretations do resonate. Thanks for taking the time.

Best regards,
tt
Hilary Posted - 01/18/2005 : 16:11:06
Seth, Hay suggests that you use the following affirmation for headaches:

"I love and approve of myself. I see myself and what I do with the eyes of love. I am safe."

I can't make up my mind about Louise Hay. I really think she's on to something and I love the philosophy behind "You can Heal Your Life". She has terrific insights into handling problems, taking responsibility for your own illness and living peacefully.

However, the only mindbody book I've ever read that made a dramatic difference to my healing is (guess what) HBP (and of course MBP). I think that's because I'm a cynic at heart, and I really need to be able to picture what's happening to me, in a very physical and scientific way, to be able to reverse it.

So, repeating Hay's affirmations didn't really work for me in terms of curing my pain. It seemed to vague to work - so it didn't.

But having said that, in some cases her ideas really make sense to me. For instance, what Baseball says about the right side of the body being linked to masculine energy (and possibly competitiveness) makes bells go off all over the place for me. Every symptom I EVER get is on the right side of my body. Dizziness, pain, excema, sor throats - it's all on the right side. And I have an enormous internal struggle, daily, between feeling tremendously competitive and pissed off, and feeling that I need to be a nice girl who makes sure others feel okay.

Weird.

Thanks for the insight, Baseball65!
lobstershack Posted - 01/18/2005 : 15:52:36
Under Headaches she has:Invalidating the self,self criticism

I can 100% relate to this. But how exactly should I integrate it into my TMS work?

Seth
holly Posted - 01/18/2005 : 15:26:11
Lol.....Yes baseball I'm here. I am always here! The toe statement was kind of general don't you think? Like a psychic saying "your here cause someone died". If I was to take one book (aside from Sarno's) on a tropical vacation next month what would you (or anyone else) recommend?? By the way this toe thing won't end. I am starting to cave in to the thinking that this may not be TMS. I am so aggravated at this point!!
Albert Posted - 01/18/2005 : 13:27:42
My lower back area is the main place by TMS manifests. Money doesn't seem to be something I worry about a lot.

It does relate to my job though. I do not find work to be a place of fulfillment. In gets in the way of my doing what I would rather do. Plus it is a place in which I get annoyed quite often. Plus, the first time I had back pain on a regular basis, was at work. As far as the childish part of my mind is concerned, work sucks. What an annoyance. But I need money. I think I'll go for a walk and imagine myself bashing with a baseball bat the way of life that makes it necessary for me to work most of the days of my life. All I get from doing so is a paycheck. The adult in me understands why I have to do so, but the child in me hates it.

quote:
Originally posted by Baseball65

Low back: fear of money,lack of financial support

Baseball65

Hestia Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:58:13
My mother is a big fan of Louise Hay. She bought me You Can Heal Your Life many years ago. I am just getting around to reading it. I guess I just had to be ready to read it. She has a little book that is just a listing of all the physical ailments and what causes them. She has a web site and I think she does a newsletter etc. Every time I mention to my mother about Sarno etc. she tells me that I need to read Louise Hay. Then I have to tell her yes, Mom, you gave me the book years ago. I am now reading it.
Baseball65 Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:49:42
You're goona love this Seth.

Under Headaches she has:Invalidating the self,self criticism

Under migraine headaches she has: dislike of being driven,sexual fears,and than in parantheses: (can usually be relieved by masturbation)..

That would explain why I have NEVER had a migraine headache in my adult life

quote:
----------"I was really scared the first time I had sex...I was all alone!"
-Rodney dangerfield

Baseball65
lobstershack Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:05:05
Baseball65,

Lest I be a nag, could you tell me what she says about headache in the temples (both sides)? Thanks. I'll definately have to check the book out.

Seth
Baseball65 Posted - 01/18/2005 : 10:18:26
Hi Tom
under "Arthritis" she has: Feeling unloved,criticism,resentment

under "Hip" she has: Fear of going forward in Major decisions,Nothing to move forward to

and under "Right side of Body": Giving out,letting go, Masculine energy,men,the Father

Now...don't nuke me off the board...she actually has a list of......easy now.....affirmations to use as a sort of mantra for each problem(ouch! stop throwing things!)

I haven't finished the book,so I don't know if it works or not.I was just surprised how accurate she was on the following in my own life:

Low back: fear of money,lack of financial support

mid back: guilt i.e. "get off my back"

upper: lack of emotional support,feeling unloved

colds: too much going on at once,mental confusion,disorder,presupposed "I get 3 colds every winter"

bronchitis:inflamed family environment,being silent

deafness(I've lost hearing somewhat on my right side):stubbornness,"don't bother me"

...and that's just a few pages in to the list....virtually all my experiences with these in particular SEEM associated with exactly what she is saying.The last time I had horrible bronchitis that just would not go away was in the middle of the summer working on a job where I was enraged at the Production company for cutting our salary(Universal Pictures)..I was afraid to say anything for fear of repercussion...as soon as they raised my salary to the correct amount(Union scale) my 6 week bronchitis evaporated.

A woman once told me at work that having a cold was a sign of indecision.For 18 months,everytime I felt cold symptoms,I pondered what I might be being indecisive about....I had zero colds,and I am a heavy smoker,crappy eater,go out in the cold with wet hair kind of dummy.

Anyways...any of that sound right about you? Remember we talked about competitiveness...that's kind of a masculine thing.Maybe you are deep down a lot more fierce and cutthroat than your nice-guy veneer will ever let you know about.

hell...It took me until now to be able to lose a game of whiffle ball to the kids intentionally

After that e-mail talk I had with you,I spoke at length to my son who is soooooo ultra competitive I feared for his mental health.Coaches love him...they always want that one "leader" who just HAS to win.I've chastised him about it in the past.

I don't want him to develop TMS fighting what seems to be an inherited trait...It's like I'm chewing him out for what makes him excel...in four years of pitching as a closer,he's blown a lead ONCE in about oh...50 chances??...he has that ultra focused intensity of a Troy percival,or a Trevor Hoffman......and here I am telling him to be a nice guy.

I told him it's OK to want to exterminate the opposition.....just let it flow through and don't Hang on to it!!

Now that we talk about it,he's just as determined,but he's lost some of the anxiety associated with it...fearing my disapproval of his "red-ass" expressions and sullenness....

As you and I both have our favorite sport in our name,their is probably soem deep,deep obsession with ruling the world.....I think you want to play John Mcenroe and kick his ass...and than buy him a cup of coffee,being the ingratiating WINNER!!!

but,that's just one opinion

Peace

Baseball65
tennis tom Posted - 01/18/2005 : 09:28:07
Hi Baseball65,

If you come across what she says about "right hip arthritis pain" I'd be curious to know.

Thanks,
tt

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000