TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Psychological correlation of symptoms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zhimbus Posted - 03/08/2009 : 01:21:42
I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum and I'm noticing that quite a few people find a literal translation for the psychological basis of the location of their symptoms.

I don't recall reading about this in Sarno's book. I'm having symptoms in my hands and feet and I don't think there is any particular psychological reason why the symptoms are in those places. I was never kicked in the feet as a child, or anything direct correlation like that.

Is everyone here able to map their symptoms directly to a psychological cause? Is it not TMS if you are unable to do that?

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
iyusaf Posted - 03/19/2009 : 16:40:10
I shouldn't have read this post earlier this week. After reading a little bit of Hay's text, my sciatica changed to lower back pain the next morning! Here is what I read (see zhimbus' link).

Lower Back Problems
Fear of money.  Lack of financial support.
*I trust the process of life.  All that I need is always taken care of.  I am safe.
Capn Spanky Posted - 03/19/2009 : 08:53:03
quote:
Originally posted by zhimbus

Is everyone here able to map their symptoms directly to a psychological cause? Is it not TMS if you are unable to do that?

There might be some correlations, but personally I would not spend a lot of time focusing on it. I believe TMS will use ANY symptom it can conjure up to distract you and keep your mind on the physical.

I think Louise Hay has some great things to say. But (in my opinion) some of the causes for illnesses she comes up with in "You Can Heal Your Life" are ridiculous. YMMV
jude Posted - 03/17/2009 : 14:32:14
I suspect it works in different ways at different times, with different people.

In my case, I had RSI in the wrists which I healed 3 years ago (just posted a success story about it here!) These past few months TMS seems to have resurfaced in the groin area. I identified it as TMS after medical tests turned up nothing, and I realized it started right at the peak of economic crash last year (anyone else have that...?)

But, you could say, what's the connection between the groin and finances. At that time, I happened to do a lot of heavy digging and lifting in the backyard to put in some stone walls (I'm a not-so-young female) and I was aware of straining that area with all the shoveling. So I think the brain just picked the spot of least resistance, so to speak.
positivevibes Posted - 03/16/2009 : 19:26:14
I've been thinking lately about this: when something annoys me, I tend to say, "it's a pain in the ass."

And where do I have pain lately? You guessed it!!!

I am actually going to change it to say, from now on: "a pain in the neck." Just wondering if saying that to myself will make my butt stop huting, LOL! And if my neck starts hurting, well won't that be interesting!
golden_girl Posted - 03/16/2009 : 17:32:45
Another interesting book that covers language, emotions and physical symptoms is Your Body Believes Every Word You Say by Barbara Hoberman Levine (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Body-Believes-Every-Word/dp/0944031072) - her book is more literal than Hay's.

I think it's utterly fascinating how so much of how we describe emotions are connected to the body/physicality:

I'm so pissed off
I can't bear it
I can't stand it
I haven't got the guts/the balls
He's getting under my skin
It's killing me
My heart is broken

etc etc

"F.E.A.R.
Forgive Everyone And Remember
For Everything A Reason"
Ian Brown
zhimbus Posted - 03/09/2009 : 01:10:20
quote:
Originally posted by Peg

Hi zhimbus

You might be referring to some correlation between location of pain/symptom and the particular psychological issue. Some posters may have made references to that.

I do know that another author has been mentioned in numerous posts who does just this in her writing. She is Louise Hay. One of her books is called, You Can Heal Your Life. At the end of the book she has an extensive list of possible physical symptoms/issues and it's psychological significance. Of course she has no proof and it is her opinion, but some people think it's accurate.

As I said there is no scientific evidence that she is correct, but it's kind of interesting to consider it. With the complexity of the mind, I wouldn't totally discount it.

By the way, it is still TMS!!!

Hope this helps
Best,
Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei

Thank you for the Louise Hay reference.
For anyone who is interested, the link below is an excerpt that lists the psychological basis for hundreds of symptoms.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/359921/Louise-L-Hay-Heal-Your-Body
Peg Posted - 03/08/2009 : 18:30:07
My main TMS was upper back (trapezius muscle spasm), neck spasm/pain. According to Louise Hay, it signifies, "a lack of emotional support". That could have applied to me. Also, I think I tend to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Like I said, interesting.

Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei
pandamonium Posted - 03/08/2009 : 15:32:22
My TMS is back pain. I had a spinal fusion when I was a teenager and was always told to "be careful". So, who knows if that's why my TMS manifests in my back?
Peg Posted - 03/08/2009 : 12:56:30
Hi zhimbus

You might be referring to some correlation between location of pain/symptom and the particular psychological issue. Some posters may have made references to that.

I do know that another author has been mentioned in numerous posts who does just this in her writing. She is Louise Hay. One of her books is called, You Can Heal Your Life. At the end of the book she has an extensive list of possible physical symptoms/issues and it's psychological significance. Of course she has no proof and it is her opinion, but some people think it's accurate.

As I said there is no scientific evidence that she is correct, but it's kind of interesting to consider it. With the complexity of the mind, I wouldn't totally discount it.

By the way, it is still TMS!!!

Hope this helps
Best,
Peg

Northerner Posted - 03/08/2009 : 07:21:30
Freud and the early psychoanalysts frequently linked physical symptoms that appeared in locations that seemed to be tied literally to earlier traumas. I think that Dr. Sarno gets into this in The Divided Mind, if I recall correctly.

In Dr. Sarno's video lecture, a woman mentioned a certain pain that occurred only at work, and he said that could be an indication that she didn't like her job. I can't remember everything I've read in Sarno's books, because his books, plus Sopher's book, and Schechter and Schubiner's internet webcasts are all starting to muddle together in my mind. However, I think that there are a number of mentions in his books of pain that appears in certain places that appear to be there to make certain activities miserable (in my case, my initial pain occurred only when sitting or typing, which I do primarily at work), and at least a few cases where the pain appears in a location that, as you say, has a literal tanslation to a pschological problem.

Certainly, many people experience a pain-in-the-ass or a pain-in-the-neck that is TMS, but you may be looking for something that is more specific than that (but those two may be the perfect examples).

Someone out there who knows the literature backwards and forward, can you please come up with an example from the books?

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.
- Mark Twain

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000