TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 If RSI does not truly exist, then...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dtes87 Posted - 12/27/2009 : 13:19:48
This is gonna be the last time I post on this subject, simply because I need closure. I did finally go to a doctor about my RSI in elbows (recent) and hands (chronic, but flaring up now b/c im typing), who asked me how I got the condition. I told her it was through repetitive laptop use for hours from the moment i awoke to the moment I slept. (cause of schoolwork, chatting with friends, etc.) She told me to sign up for PT and rest it.

Heres my question though. If an incredibly happy person plays a video game for 15 straight hours every day relentlessly, then he would surely get RSI. Yet Sarno and otehrs here say that ALL Rsi=TMS. Others have said that for sure, use a search engine if you dont believe me.

Im gonna get off this laptop come January cause im leaving the country anyway, but wanted to ask about this. Ive also ordered Sarno's book to do the work myself. I do really wish that this still is in my mind, b/c I want to do whatever I want to do with my body. Of course im not gonna jump off of buildings, but you get the idea. Thanks.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scd1833 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 21:28:16
I think anyone playing video games 15 hours a day has obsessive/compulsive issues going on. (which is a TMS equivalent) it's definitely escapism from SOMETHING!
HilaryN Posted - 12/28/2009 : 16:21:24
Teddybear,

That's a great success story.

I've added it to the RSI Success Stories page on the wiki:

http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/Repetitive+Strain+Injuries+-+RSI

Hilary N
Teddybear Posted - 12/28/2009 : 15:41:30
Hey dtes87,

Relentlessly playing videogames is exactly what I did, after learning about tms. That, I assure you, contributed to my recovery immensely! I reconditioned myself by facing what a feared most: using my hands for an activity as strenuous and repetitive as gaming.

I urge you to believe me when I say that - after clearing healing back pain in one sitting one evening, approximately a year ago, I grabbed my nintendo ds the very next day, and started playing, intensively, relentlessly and excessively. It was my way of resuming the (physical) activities I had put on hold out of fear - not necessity - of the RSI. Since I could do everything I wanted to – it was but a dull pain, it was the fear that debilitated me - but I chose not to, so as to not aggravate my arms.

I have to admit that I was not fearless from the very beginning. I had conditioned myself to the point where not a minute would pass without me scanning and analyzing everything that could potentially aggravate my RSI. As a matter of fact, I monitored my pain levels constantly. When I assessed my condition however - after spending hours upon hours bombarding enemy tanks, gaining levels successively, scrolling through endless walls of text, and catching the occasional pokémon - I fortunately did not notice any sign of deterioration whatsoever. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I was really relieved.

Needless to say, I didn't time my irresponsible gaming behaviour. Moreover, nearly a year passed since then, and the initial novelty has gone. Still, I vividly recall making excessive use of both my computer and my handheld relentlessly the following days and weeks.

Back then, I spent more and more time playing videogames, typing, writing, scrolling and clicking, everything with increasingly less inhibition. And the fear that enveloped me decreased. *In that order.*

10 months ago, I thought with dread of the years to come. As a matter of fact, I pictured myself carrying this burden for the rest of my life. To be honest, I was consumed by fear. In hindsight, it was the prospect of being handicapped by RSI permanently that debilitated me. Not so much the physical pain I felt. It was but a dull pain. However, the fear that it emanated was what truly suffocated me.

Simultaneously, I felt my life had just begun, yet it was already soiled by this sordid disease. I was really depressed and disappointed every single time I woke up in the morning, only to discover that the pain had neither decreased, let alone vanished. Since you are extremely young as well, I am certain that you can relate to my anxiety.

Lately, I haven't really thought about where I once was, and how far I've come.

Thank you, dtest87, for reminding me of how grateful I should be for being pain free.

I hope my story can give you relief, however small, whether you have tms or not.
patils Posted - 12/28/2009 : 08:56:12
I dont think that happy person can get an RSI. Our body is capable for zillions of repitation. So many people work in IT and continousely sit on PC and that too in worst postures. And very rarely they have pain. ( I work in IT company )

Why will only few are having pain ?

One night's sleep is enogh for healing if there is any postural load.

RSI is psychological illness and roots are in our mind only.
If any doctor tells, RSI is not psychological.... Shoooot him.

Sachin

When all medicines fail, meditation will help.
la_kevin Posted - 12/28/2009 : 04:48:04
I agree with what Gibbon said.

On a side note, I practice guitar at least 2 hours a day. I play some pretty heavy gauge strings on my electric and acoustic. I play pretty repetitive scales and intricate barre chords that involve a lot of strain. I have yet to feel "RSI" after years.

Another side note. I was also a grinder in a steel mill. We ground 12 inch welds 8 hours a day. We had to squeeze a trigger on a 10 pound grinder 8 hours straight. Sometimes I would wake up in the night with my arms and hands like claws clutched to my chest. It was brutal. Our bodies would get used to it and after a few weeks we could go all day with no pain.

If we did ever get a strain, they would take us off for a few days and it would heal.

Now that I wrote that, I don't know the moral of the story exactly, but it's just a thought.

---------------------------
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"- John Lennon

"TMS is just as afraid of us succeeding, as it is us failing" - Me
Gibbon Posted - 12/28/2009 : 03:22:06

hiya

I'm glad you've taken the first step of going to see a doctor....the second step is to read Dr Sarno! In answer to your question, my own personal opinion is that very long prolonged repetitive motion has the potential to cause some sort of physical body stresses and strains - that seems pretty uncontroversial. The difference is more in the recovery from the initial strain. If you are back to normal in a couple of weeks then great, it was just a physical strain. If 6 months, 1 year later the symptoms persist and have got worse, then it is unlikely that those symptoms are still a result of that initial physical strain. That probably healed months ago, the symptoms are now very likely a result of non-physical triggers.

So, could someone happy doing a very repetitive job develop some sort of strain? I think so, but if that strain persisted into months and years i would say that perhaps they weren't entirely "happy" after all (and who is?). And of course, stress can be a big contributer, and this isn't directly correlated with "happiness" - you can be consciously happy but under a huge amount of stress at the same time...

winnieboo Posted - 12/27/2009 : 17:50:47
An incredibly happy person who plays a video game and develops RSI will rest and get better, pretty quickly. I've seen this happen to my teenagers. One of my boys broke his wrist skiing and was back playing tennis in five weeks. My non-TMS husband had knee surgery (for a severe injury) and was skiing black diamonds in six weeks. Never looked back.

When a chronic pain syndrome does not improve after rest, treatment and repeated doctor visits in which the docs tell you they don't see anything else wrong with you, suspect TMS. Your focus and anxiety about the pain/problem will turn it into a chronic syndrome and at that point, your treatment is to get back to your life, your normal activities, and try to switch your mental focus from the physical symptoms to what's bothering you psychologically. That way you won't have to give up your laptop!
HellNY Posted - 12/27/2009 : 17:09:48
quote:
Originally posted by dtes87

Well, im asking and testing. I believe that an RSI can be physical, cause the human body can only do so much. but others are saying RSI ALWAYS =TMS. So I ask, well what if a happy person spends excessive amounts of time doing something strenuous?

I honestly don't think anyone can truly know the answer to this. For example, if we were to say "unconcious psychological rage causes TMS." And then someone proposes a scenario where a person without obvious any known unconcious psychological rage develops RSI. If we say "the person therefore must have unconcious psychological rage." That would be poor logic.

Affirming the Consequent I believe.

I think there is always good reason to suspect TMS if there is chronic pain. Is there a guarantee that it is TMS? There never are any guarantees. Yes, it could be something else.

Ultimately each case would have to be investigated based on its own symptoms and history.

In my case, with such a sordid history of various pain syndromws of one kind or another, I would highly suspect TMS if I developed yet ANOTHER chronic pain problem.

I dont think anyone can really diagnose without the involvmenet of doctors and a TMS doctor as well.

whitehead Posted - 12/27/2009 : 15:16:09

If I understand tms correctly, the mind uses a physical pathway to physically alter a part of your body, in this case your fingers. The pain IS physical and it's really there. Only it wasn't caused by the typing. TMs is never 'just in your head.'

dtes87 Posted - 12/27/2009 : 14:48:04
Well, im asking and testing. I believe that an RSI can be physical, cause the human body can only do so much. but others are saying RSI ALWAYS =TMS. So I ask, well what if a happy person spends excessive amounts of time doing something strenuous?
HellNY Posted - 12/27/2009 : 14:22:34

"If an incredibly happy person plays a video game for 15 straight hours every day relentlessly, then he would surely get RSI"

Is this a question? Or are you saying that this statement is true?

I dont not know if it is true.
dtes87 Posted - 12/27/2009 : 13:50:44
to answer the title, then....what about people without emotional issues who develop them from strenuous and excessive overuse?

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000