TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 sciatica by laser spine surgery

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tapsee Posted - 02/17/2011 : 04:08:57
The causes of sciatica are many but it most commonly results from either a herniated disk or spinal stenosis. Depending on the cause, the pain of acute sciatica usually goes away on its own in four to eight weeks or so.A thorough diagnostic work-up will reveal the cause.Fortunately, sciatica typically resolves without the need for surgery in about 4-6 weeks. However, if any neurologic deficits develop, such as a foot drop or changes in normal bowel and/or bladder functions, then immediate surgery is usually performed.For acute sciatica without any neurologic deficit, the use of epidural steroid injections can be very beneficial in resolving the discomfort.
For those with sciatic pain due to a herniated disc lasting longer than 6 weeks, surgery has been shown to be superior than non-operative treatment. For those with sciatica or neurogenic claudications lasting longer than 12 weeks, surgery has been shown to be ore effective than non-operative treatment.When surgery is required there are several procedures that may be of benefit. These range from an open laminectomy or laminotomy or even a fusion.

spine surgeons california
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ross88online Posted - 04/23/2011 : 21:04:41
quote:
Originally posted by tapsee

The causes of sciatica are many but it most commonly results from either a herniated disk or spinal stenosis. Depending on the cause, the pain of acute sciatica usually goes away on its own in four to eight weeks or so.A thorough diagnostic work-up will reveal the cause.Fortunately, sciatica typically resolves without the need for surgery in about 4-6 weeks. However, if any neurologic deficits develop, such as a foot drop or changes in normal bowel and/or bladder functions, then immediate surgery is usually performed.For acute sciatica without any neurologic deficit, the use of epidural steroid injections can be very beneficial in resolving the discomfort.
For those with sciatic pain due to a herniated disc lasting longer than 6 weeks, surgery has been shown to be superior than non-operative treatment. For those with sciatica or neurogenic claudications lasting longer than 12 weeks, surgery has been shown to be ore effective than non-operative treatment.When surgery is required there are several procedures that may be of benefit. These range from an open laminectomy or laminotomy or even a fusion.

Brooks Adrenaline 11 Review

art Posted - 02/18/2011 : 12:16:16
All good points. I have the feeling some wise guy thought he'd drop a little bomb, gets us natives all worked up. It's his first post, claims to be a 22 year old female.

Yah. Right.
tennis tom Posted - 02/18/2011 : 11:16:12
quote:
Originally posted by Back2-It

Another interesting article and response.

Harold Goodman, DO
Silver Spring, MD

Chronic pain is not an enigma to physicians, such as myself, who actually spend time talking with patients and put our hands on them by doing an extensive musculoskeletal and neurologic exam.

When I began to take into account the personality traits identified by John Sarno, MD, at NYU and understand the role of the unconscious in creating somatic symptoms, most of my "difficult" patients began to respond.

However, there is no money in this approach for physicians and absolutely not for big pharma.

The reason?

The symptoms disappear once the patient truly understands their cause.

Unfortunately, most psychotherapists, as evidenced by our conference at UCLA last year on this approach to diagnosis and treatment, lack the training to help such patients. In addition, because TMS ( tension myoneural syndrome - the name Dr. Sarno gave this diagnosis) is a purely medical diagnosis that must be made by a qualified physician ( MD or DO), few patients are even aware of this powerful option.

GREAT QUOTE! As usual follow the money. Maybe the most expedient and cheapest solution to our "national health care crisis", would be for the government sector to do what the private sector can't: leave copies of Dr. Sarno's books at everyone's door-step like telephone books and require they be stocked in all ER's and doctor's waiting rooms.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6415

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
skizzik Posted - 02/18/2011 : 07:48:00
good points. I just re-read the intro to Mind over back pain again yesterday since I bought it at the Book outlet for a buck and he returned it to me (with success I think) and Sarno states that after finding that the spinal abnormalities did'nt predict pain with any accuracy, he could predict the pain outcome of patients with accuracy based on his approach to them. This tied in with the fact that 88% of the pain patients had medical histories of other symptoms accepted to be caused by tension/stress. Brilliant!
Back2-It Posted - 02/18/2011 : 07:39:49
Another interesting article and response.

Read post number 31 by an MD.

www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/health/research/18fatigue.html?sort=oldest&offset=2" target="_blank">http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/health/research/18fatigue.html?sort=oldest&offset=2

Hmmm... the article and comments are a little chopped up, so here is the number 31 post....

Harold Goodman, DO
Silver Spring, MD

quote:
Chronic pain is not an enigma to physicians, such as myself, who actually spend time talking with patients and put our hands on them by doing an extensive musculoskeletal and neurologic exam.

When I began to take into account the personality traits identified by John Sarno, MD, at NYU and understand the role of the unconscious in creating somatic symptoms, most of my "difficult" patients began to respond.

However, there is no money in this approach for physicians and absolutely not for big pharma.

The reason?

The symptoms disappear once the patient truly understands their cause.

Unfortunately, most psychotherapists, as evidenced by our conference at UCLA last year on this approach to diagnosis and treatment, lack the training to help such patients. In addition, because TMS ( tension myoneural syndrome - the name Dr. Sarno gave this diagnosis) is a purely medical diagnosis that must be made by a qualified physician ( MD or DO), few patients are even aware of this powerful option.

Back2-It Posted - 02/18/2011 : 07:32:27
I went to the head neurosurgeon at Rush, and he told me that even if I had an operation for my disc herniation that it may not relieve the pain, so while surgery is performed for no or dubious reasons by some it is not by all. Not all are barbers. At least not by the really good surgeons who want to continue making the big bucks and not get dragged to court all the time with lawsuits.

Here's a link that came across today. On guy's story of TMS and how he was turned to it by a traditional MD.

http://freetheanimal.com/2011/02/tension-myositis-syndrome-tms-can-your-mind-really-heal-your-back-neck-shoulder-butt-and-leg-pain.html
skizzik Posted - 02/18/2011 : 07:08:24
Check this link to a medical student forum. Spine surgeons make $500,000-$1,000,000 a year, which is at the top of the medical salary chain.

Read on how the more fusions done, the more money to be made in one surgery compared to seperate joints for an ortho. Susan, that might explain that knee surgeries arnt "worth it." As you can see, these bright young men and women are already figuring out where the money is before choosing their path.

Note too how they already reckognize the difference between spine patients and regular ones (tms anyone?). And whether they're able to put up with that.

The spine industry may very well be the most powerful industry in the western world. Problems and solutions created and thought to be solved in western medical schools. Built upon a century of eliminating the connection between mind and body, forged with salaries and perks the layman can't possibly comprehend. For this reason I feel that TMS will always be a sort of underground movement.

The hope is that with social media such as these types of forums will help the mainstream accept an alternative. And that there will be enough MD's out there to diagnose TMS to make it viable. Ok, I'm rambling Kind of glad tapsee (or computer generated spam) posted this, it makes for good discussion. Hopefully Dave won't delete it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=615332
susan828 Posted - 02/17/2011 : 16:45:24
Tapsee, I have had a herniated disc for 30 years and surgery is the last thing any dr. would do. It hurts sometimes and then it stops. Those I know who had a laminectomy now limp and their pain is worse. I am sure some have success but your last statement is so misleading and I concerned that new people will read this and think it's valid. A herniated disc that lasts for more than 12 weeks, you said...they ALL last, herniation doesn't correct itself. Some people feel pain from it, some don't. Where did you get this 12 week theory?? Totally erroneous.

Skizzik, I agree with what you said about the haircut joke but I want to say that when I went to the Hospital For Special Surgery which has the best reputation here, I saw a surgeon for a knee consult and he said "You don't need surgery". It was so heartlifting to find a surgeon who doesn't believe in cutting just to make some money. So there are exceptions (but you know that, just wanted to add that).
art Posted - 02/17/2011 : 06:24:20
Spam.
skizzik Posted - 02/17/2011 : 04:30:24
Tennis Tom,

This reminds me of when I asked here if I should talk to a surgeon on wether I needed surgery, and you replied with the question "What happens when you ask a Barber for a haircut?"

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000