TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 Belated RSI success story

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lindaleyner Posted - 01/25/2015 : 07:47:08
Hello.
This is a very belated RSI successs tory, but I know, people need to hear this stuff to believe in times where it'll be better. It gets better.

This, I believe, was my first Thread from "back then"
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6310
I cannot believe it's been five years.

I battled with anxiety and RSI-like symptoms in those times. I was afraid my life had basically come to an end already, at 17.
It didn't - thanks to approaching the issue from a mental health POV, I was able to overcome RSI. I did stop playing videogames (although I do play some, every once in a while so no avoidance there!), but it was not because of pain. Rather, I found new interests to submerge myself in.

What helped me the most was journalling. Becoming aware of my fears. What roots they had - why RSI.
I am a perfectionist. I want great things from and in life. So... RSI was holding me back. It was a way of self-defence. If I failed because of RSI, well, it's not MY fault. It took away the pressure to perform. That pressure, was channeled directly into my wrist muscles. Quite literally.
Then, there came exposure. I played video games - they're fun. Yet, I feared them. Well, it hurt. After some time. it was bearable. Then, I started having fun again. Then I wrote. And did all the things I was doing before, and new ones. Like writing.
My hands, I know now, aren't working against me. They were just the outlet of my fear, my wall of protection.

After realizing that, I didn't need them to protect me. I faced my imperfections full front.

Now, I am having other stuff to work with, but my hands, they are "mine" again. There was a time I felt they were controlled by someone who was out to hurt me. Turns out, my subconscious was looking into ways to stop my hurting. It just, unfortunately, chose a rather painful way to do that.

In the last five years, things have been going okay. I have days where RSI flares up again, but then, I recognize it for what it is. It may burn for a day, but it clears up the next morning. I know this little demon, and it has lost its hold on me.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rile84 Posted - 03/06/2015 : 01:20:06
Good to know that things have been going okay with you. Cheers for that!
lindaleyner Posted - 02/24/2015 : 15:04:35
I just want to say, hang in there.
I can't remember my RSI time much, tbh. Rereading what I wrote back then really hit me, because I had forgotten just how much I suffered... Because I have been free of this demon for so long, it's hard to fathom a time where it had me in such a tight grip.
caynisa Posted - 02/03/2015 : 11:08:08
Hello lindaleyner
I'm a girl in my start twenties who has suffered from mainly arm/hand/shoulder pain since age 17. I've always played lot of games, always had anxiety, and I'm suspecting tms to be the case.
I really appreciate your story, it provides me comfort and hope! thank you

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000