TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Could It Be B12? Numbness, Nerve Pain, Autism, Tre

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fredamir Posted - 11/13/2016 : 14:48:37
Certainly, TMS can cause nerve pain and numbness, but what about B12 deficiency?

B12 deficiency is an underdiagnosed condition that can cause many physical and mental problems, ranging from nerve pain, tremors, numbness, heart disease, and cancer to depression, dementia, and autism.

One interesting discovery is that normal cells can look abnormal due to B12 deficiency and lead to a false cancer diagnosis. And while the patient is being treated for cancer, the B12 deficiency is left underiagnosed and can lead to irreversible damage.

If it is caught early and treated, in many cases, physical and mental problems can be cured. Everyone from babies to the elderly must be tested. Because B12 is found only in animal products and dairy, those who are strict vegetarians are especially at risk.

The usual test for B12 blood serum is not accurate enough. Proper tests for B12 are

1. Blood serum B12 level
2. Homocysteine serum level
3. Urinary methylmalonic acid level (This is the most accurate test for B12)

This documentary explains more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEizypoyO0

You can learn more about B12 at http://b12awareness.org

Could It Be B12? is available on Amazon.

Fred Amir
Author, Speaker, Rapid Recovery Coach
www.fredamir.com
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 11/18/2016 : 23:24:57
quote:
Originally posted by theohiostateq

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/sports/tennis/gardnar-mulloy-dead-tennis.html?_r=0

Thank you for the obit Doug, I'd been meaning to look it up. He had quite a career, maybe I can win the cup named for him when I get into the eighties, I'm hoping to peak by then, I'm still working on my footwork.
theohiostateq Posted - 11/18/2016 : 21:11:30
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/sports/tennis/gardnar-mulloy-dead-tennis.html?_r=0
tennis tom Posted - 11/18/2016 : 13:27:48
Thanks for the reply again Andy, yes indeed it sounds like you've had a very busy year!--or two. Aging (or ageing for you Brits) is definitely on the TMS repressed anger list. My vision is still good, which I attribute to watching the optic yellow fuzzy tennis ball. In tournament tennis the good thing is every five years you're a junior again, moving into the next age group. They should rename Senior Adult Age Group Tennis to "Masters" tennis and they'd get more women to play. The ladies don't seem as willing as the guys to reveal their ages, so the lady's draws are slim--and this is Kalifornia, where it's against the law to grow up.

My tennis heroes are the guys who are still playing tournament singles in their 80's and 90's, driving in motor homes cross country from Kali to Florida, and flying around the world to places like Turkey to play in international tournaments. Gardnar Mulloy just passed away last week at 102, Ken Beer, who I bumped into in the locker room at a tournament when he was in his nineties and traveling with his wife with oldzheimers passed away at 102 also and was still hitting the ball. Alex Swetka was #1 in the world in his 90's and passed away petitioning USTA to add a 95's age bracket--I think he expired because he ran out of age groups to compete in. And there was Dodo Cheney who passed away a year or two ago, in her 90's, who had more gold tennis ball trophies for winning National Tournaments then God.

At 68, (or am I 69?),I'm still looking forward to a few more years of good life. There's that book "GROWING OLD IS NOT FOR SISSIES", that has some great pics and bios of senior athletes. I am starting to look for some distractions from my tennis and took a few golf lessons and thinking about croquette if I'm still ambulatory when I get really old--they like to party. And, now that I can't run on the tennis court like I used to, I'm thinking about getting my SCCA racer's license and learn how to race cars, Sonoma Raceway is not far from me. So, if your up this way let's get a cup of coffee, there's a good wind-surf spot near San Quentin I hear, but the water's pretty cold this time of year--I like 82F+ in the pool and 104 in the hot-tub.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
andy64tms Posted - 11/17/2016 : 22:07:33
Hi Tom,

It’s hard to say what’s going on, I think it’s a combination of several things, as you know TMS issues can get complicated. My tiredness could be age related our, bodies do change as we get older. Mixed in with this I lost muscle weight last year and got down to a very skinny 140 lbs, maybe this was due to lack of exercise last winter or my lean diet or both.

This year I have had more anxiety than normal, and I felt better recognizing this as a fact not just a feeling. I think I will do a “‘write up” on my anxiety, and see if that helps since I haven’t really addressed this as a TMS equivalent before.

For me it would be just as easy to get back taking B-12 now and I’m better informed as to the effects of B-12 deficiency, thank you Fred, as my previous doctor did not explain the details. I’ll see if my tests show the need next month.

My eye doctor says most people get cataracts if they live long enough. Cataracts lead to blindness and are taken very seriously by Medicare, and they do not allow them to “ripen” as in past days. The surgery once took 4 hours and is now reduced to 15 minutes by technology.

After a few bad driving events and near misses my vision definitely was becoming of great concern to me. I originally thought I needed Lasik surgery and procrastinated for several years. I barely scraped through the DMV vision test and felt really embarrassed as the tester prompted me in front of a line of spectators! I also remembered SteveO had an issue with failed Lasik surgery and the thought of someone messing with my eyes really bothered me, hence the procrastination.

I didn’t need Lasik and I signed up to have both eyes taken care of by having new lenses inserted. I compared the cataract surgery to plastic headlamps on cars that inevitably go foggy, even on a Mercedes- a very mechanical issue. The surgery takes 15 min, they give you a nice shot in the IV that took me to la la land and that’s it. My eyesight restored immediately, I can now read the car dash board icons, road signs, and am typing this without glasses. One of my new duties is to read the price labels on my wife’s lingerie shopping items!

Tom, I’m really pleased with the results and this item is definitely crossed off my Rah Holmes list. Whether its old age or TMS ware and tear, I don’t care, I can see and feel safer on the road and less likely to have an accident. Drive carefully.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
tennis tom Posted - 11/17/2016 : 10:19:33
quote:
Originally posted by andy64tms

... It’s been a rough year with my wife had a second knee replacement, I was found to have cataracts and family issues plaguing my TMS personality.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the well thought out post! From a TMS perspective--and I'm prejudice here--I would say the emotional weight of the Holmes-Rahe category of events you've experienced in the past year, would be more likely to cause the fatigue/malaise, rather then a vitamin deficiency--but I'm only a tennis player, and not a scientist.

I've been hearing from more acquaintances lately about cataract surgery. Maybe cataracts are emerging as another TMS epedemic, along with back-pain. With the increase in advertising on TV, for cheap and quick lasik eye-surgery. I have a tennis pro buddy who just had it.

A few years ago I had an eye exam with my Bates method eye doctor, who is a pretty good tennis player. He mentioned I had the beginnings of a cataract, but he told me NOT to worry about it--and I haven't. My vision, due to watching the fast moving optic yellow ball is excellent, and it's actually improving at 68 or 69 y.o.--I don't follow my age very closely anymore.

If my eye-doc had exhibited concern, I'm sure I'd be worried about it--the infamous NOCEBO effect. If you want to avoid the knife, I would recommend reading about vision/VISION by the world renown "vision-ary philosopher" Roberto Kaplan www.beyond2020vision.com

I had an encounter with an old doc, at an annual tennis tournament this summer. He saw me at the pool during my water aerobics-swim routine. He HAD to point out that I my naval was extended, and it was due to a "hernia"--but, it could be easily corrected with surgery. I'd never given it any thought before--but now his words pop into my head as a NOCEBO. I will discuss it with my MD next time I see him. Armed with TMS knowledge, I'm in no hurry to find out more about by naval, but I could imagine how concerned I would be otherwise, and running off to be examined and scheduled for the knife. This old doc is alwasys using the power of his white-coat to get into people's heads at this tennis event.

G'luck!
tt

G'luck!
tt
andy64tms Posted - 11/15/2016 : 11:10:47
Hi Fred, Tom,

I took it daily for several years; In fact it was the only supplement I took. My blood and urine work showed low levels of B-12 indicators, and my GP recommended it for nerve function etc. He was quite insistent citing that he takes it himself. He is also around my age 68. I think with some, old age is a factor for your body to absorb or make B-12. In addition to this my B-12 deficiency started around the time I eliminated meat and dairy in lieu of a more plant and fish diet.

The controversy regarding B-12 seems to be how it works in your body and not its benefits, so I chose to take 2 tabs daily until my discipline ran out. In all honesty I stopped taking it about a year ago because I got confused over the dosage amount on a refill; I am also averse to taking tablets.

On reflection for this same period of time I have felt overly tired and weary even for my passion windsurfing. I have noticed a severe change in physical strength and mental enthusiasm. It’s been a rough year with my wife had a second knee replacement, I was found to have cataracts and family issues plaguing my TMS personality. My tiredness could be related to B-12.

Presently I am changing to a new GP and have a physical in two weeks. She comes highly recommended as a good listener and assigns an hour for first visits. I will be sure to get a full bank of tests for B-12 deficiency and confirm my previous doctor’s results. I have heard she is a vegetarian and will be sure to know about this subject, unlike the pediatrician in your video link Fred.

Thank you for your post Fred, I am now more aware about B-12.

I copied this from the web to understand what the benefits were, as I noted the lady next door to me died of pernicious anemia, sadly she just withered away during the ten years I knew her, maybe she had B-12 deficiency.

Reference:

“Your body needs vitamin B-12, also known as cobalamin, to aid with energy metabolism, to support the health of the nervous system and to help produce red blood cells, DNA and RNA. It promotes your body's use of iron and activates enzymes that regulate the level of homocysteine that you have in your blood. High levels of the amino acid homocysteine may increase your risk of heart disease. If you don't consume enough vitamin B-12, you may experience fatigue, diarrhea and possible nerve damage. A long-term deficiency of vitamin B-12 may make you more likely to develop heart disease, pernicious anemia or age-related macular degeneration.”

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
tennis tom Posted - 11/15/2016 : 08:17:05
Yah, I'm not crazy about liver but pate' is nice. My Mom used to make the best chopped chicken liver. Ever since the colonel dropped fried gizzards and chicken livers from the menu it's been downhill for him. Safeway makes better extra-crispy chicken then the colonel does, Popeyes is the new Colonel Sanders.
fredamir Posted - 11/14/2016 : 21:53:13
One of the best sources of B12 is liver. Yum!

Here's an article from Harvard Medical School on dangers of B12 deficiency.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780

Fred Amir
www.fredamir.com
tennis tom Posted - 11/14/2016 : 20:17:40
Thanks Fred, I'm pretty active and feeling good, but next time I have labs, I'll ask them to do the recommended test and I'll get some B vits, maybe some adult gummies if they have 'em.
fredamir Posted - 11/14/2016 : 19:22:10
My test for B12 was normal. I do take a B complex daily and eat foods high in B12.

Good idea to get tested. My brother was tested and his levels were so low he had to go for B12 shots for a few weeks.

Fred Amir
www.fredamir.com
tennis tom Posted - 11/13/2016 : 19:31:42
Hi Fred,

Would you advise taking B12 vitamins as a preventative just in case one may be deficient?

Thanks

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000