TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 spinal fusion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andrew10-31 Posted - 06/11/2017 : 11:19:29
Can a person who has already had a spinal fusion with TMS still find relief according to John Sarno ?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fox Posted - 02/28/2018 : 14:46:10
Supposedly, they put in two titanium cages (one for each of the two disc spaces involved). Bone was supposed to grow around and within each of the cages.
Andrew10-31 Posted - 02/28/2018 : 14:33:54
FOX....do you have hardware from your spinal fusion ?
Andrew10-31 Posted - 02/24/2018 : 16:07:22
I just want to thank you all for the replies. My problem has been butt and IT band type pain. I continue to work on this and i believe some of it is conditioned response. I need to get these repressed emotions out ! So the journalling goes on . It's been 11 months post-op. The surgeon said it could take as long as 2-3 years ? Are you kidding me.....but at least it's better than it was 6 months ago. If I am getting better it has NOTHING to do with the surgery. It has to do with accepting the TMS diagnosis and working on my repressed emotions.
Fox Posted - 01/03/2018 : 11:55:12
I should add to the last sentence that my sciatica still often surfaces due to conditioning but when it does it is very brief - usually less than 5 minutes - rather than several days of pain. I just have to talk myself out of it, laugh at my brain, think about what stresses there are currently in my life and occurred in childhood, and think logically about how ridiculous and far fetched my belief that harmless activity can cause this pain really is.
Fox Posted - 01/03/2018 : 11:44:25
Used pain meds for one week after surgery. Sciatica stayed the same. I recovered from the surgery itself after 6 months and was back to walking 3 miles a day which never did, pre or post surgery, turn on the sciatica (whereas running or punching the heavy bag did). After I tried Sarno for the third time (I believe) and fully immersed myself in his books and his CD, I slowly accepted and internalized this acceptance - that my leg pain was psychosomatic and I was deeply under the control of an elaborate system of conditioning that I had developed for myself. Improvement started in about two weeks, slowly progressed over the next two years, and I reached an acceptable-to-me plateau of roughly 90% improvement with the majority of my conditioning elements gone or my reaction to continuing conditioning only temporary.
Andrew10-31 Posted - 01/02/2018 : 09:13:39
To FOX...did you take any pain meds and how long after you got serious did it take you to finally feel better. I am 9 months post fusion. Thank you
Fox Posted - 07/26/2017 : 11:15:07
I had a two level spinal fusion for sciatica after two laminectomies (and many other physical treatments) did not work. The spinal fusion did not work either. I got more serious about reading and using Sarno's beliefs a few years later and I got rid of 90% of the sciatica. This relief has lasted for many years, so yes, TMS can work after a spinal fusion.
altherunner Posted - 07/15/2017 : 19:35:41
Glad to hear you healed! Tom - we had crappy rainy weather until 1st day of summer, now it's been hot and dry and lots of forest fires unfortunately. Cheers, Al
healingfromchronicpain Posted - 07/08/2017 : 17:44:08
I haven't read Dr. Hanscom's stuff, but I'm very interested and will look into it. But I just wanted to share that I had spinal fusion surgery and the pain I had for 2 years after my surgery finally came down dramatically after I start addressing the mind-body connection. I'm still working on getting completely better, but I am convinced that I can get all better because I now know my pain is essentially TMS. As for the spinal fusion, I don't believe it has anything to do with my ability to heal my current chronic pain. The fusion surgery did get rid of the nerve pain and neurological loss I was experiencing in my arm, but it seems to have triggered my myofascial pain (i.e., TMS). If you're interested, I provide more details of my journey on my website: healingfromchronicpain.com.

But my point is, in my case, I've healed significantly using mindbody techniques even after having fusion surgery.

Good luck to you!

Healingfromchronicpain
(My story and journey are described at www.healingfromchronicpain.com)
tennis tom Posted - 06/16/2017 : 10:18:27
quote:
Originally posted by altherunner

Dr. David Hanscom is a back surgeon turned tms doctor that writes a lot about spinal fusion in his book and on his website.

Hi Al, how things up in the great white North? Any snow up Port Hardy way? I think Dr. Hanscom's up in the Seattle area, I recommended him to a hotel reception person for a second opinion, with back problems up at Cowichan Bay.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
altherunner Posted - 06/13/2017 : 19:55:41
Dr. David Hanscom is a back surgeon turned tms doctor that writes a lot about spinal fusion in his book and on his website.
weatherman Posted - 06/12/2017 : 01:41:44
I don't know if he mentioned spinal fusion per se, but I know that in his books he's mentioned people who had "misguided" back surgeries that didn't really fix the problem, and that the TMS approach was the answer in the end. So having had a surgery doesn't seem to disqualify the TMS approach.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000