TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Never had trouble sleeping before

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stryder Posted - 09/19/2005 : 20:58:14
Hi everyone,

The last few weeks I've been on "jet lag" but the interesting thing is I haven't gone anywhere. Usually if I've stayed up too late a couple nights, it gets reset withing a couple days, or at least by the end of the next weekend. I've never had trouble sleeping before.

The last 3 weeks I lie in bed for 4 or 5 hours, its like I'm not even tired. I'm not getting to sleep until about 4 AM. So, you would think with only a couple hours of sleep, the next night I'd be exhausted. Wrong. Its like my internal clock won't reset.

I know this could likely be a TMS equiv, since all of my other usual "trouble spots" are quiet and behaving themselves. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks, -Stryder

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laura Posted - 09/27/2005 : 19:34:41
I was having sleeping problems for months and months, in addition to my stomach problems and dizziness. After I made the decision that it may be the best thing to end my marriage of 20 years, the dizziness is pretty much gone (with a few exceptions) and the insomnia is completely gone. I'm so mentally exhausted from all that is going on (marriage counseling appointments, fighting 24/7) that by the time I lay my head down I crash and I don't wake up for five or six hours. I haven't slept like that in years, where you don't even wake up to use the bathroom. And, did I mention my husband has been sleeping in the guest bedroom downstairs???? Yes, I think I will sleep like a log once we are completely separated. Divorce is stressful, but the alternative is even worse.

Laura
Susie Posted - 09/27/2005 : 18:35:21
Stryder, I'm with fox. Get some Ambien. It is not a barbituate. You will sleep great with no hangover. It is very reassuring to know that you will sleep tonite and have one thing less to worry about.
kenny V Posted - 09/26/2005 : 00:06:52

quote:
Originally posted by Stryder

Do you have any specific recommendations on how to "fix it...naturally"?
Thanks, -Stryder

What I believe is the closest thing to natural would be to restore one of the bodies systems from what had burdened it in the first place. But modern medicine believes in fixing it by giving it a pill, but that never addresses the underlying condition does it?
And I do not think it is my place to offer advice on this TMS forum about proper detoxification.
So the next best thing I will offer would be to aid your body to help it self.

If you are really having a hard time, instead of taken drugs (which most are blockers only suppressing a condition) causing more symptoms.
Better to find the right precursor to do what your body already knows how to do.
You can buy a supplement of the next precursor in the line on its way
to becoming serotonin.

It is called 5-HTP. The 5-HTP is supposed to
work well and even performed equally to Prozac in one study. It
doesn't have as many side effects that the prescription drugs do but
some people do experience side-effects similar to SSRI medications.

1000 mg of tryptophan = 100 mg of 5-HTP. Doses of 25-50 mg
5-HTP/day are recommended and maybe up to 100 mg. A little B6 may be
needed and taken the same day because it is necessary for the
conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin.

Be very careful about taking 5-HTP with any tricyclic antidepressant
or SSRI (serotonin-reuptake inhibitor, such as Prozac, Zoloft, or
Paxil). Some references say not to take them together at all. Both
the SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants function to increase
serotonin by "reusing" any serotonin present. If you take one of the
SSRIs with 5-HTP, you risk creating too much serotonin, and sometimes
this can be a problem too. Remember how some people say their kids go
bonkers on Zoloft? Same reason – too much serotonin

HLH
Kenny V

Ps.
You can always go back even further to why you are depleting your serotonin, but that may be a little more complicated to explain.

Always Hope For Recovery
kenny V Posted - 09/24/2005 : 08:49:04
quote:

Hi kenny V,

Just to clarify by, "running with it", you mean keep cycling later and later, forward, around to a normal time? If so, you are right in that would likely be crash-city.

No… I mean keep going until you are in manic mode. Really messes with (disturbs) with brain chemistry.
But can be allot of fun with the natural high, but can be hard to stop and crashing is not a good way.

quote:

You provided some interesting info on Melatonin.

Thanks, -Stryder

Yes I will have to get back to you on that, but it will be up to you to understand its precursors an how it involves the natural production of Melatonin.

Stryder Wrote:

Anything that serves as a distraction to hide your inner rage may serve as a TMS equivalent.

This is true However see below

Stryder Wrote:

For example: If you are fretting and obsessing about not sleeping, then that is a distraction keeping you from addressing your real psychological problems.

Thanks, -Stryder

On the other hand what you are discussing hear as an equivalent as it related to disturbing your circadian rhythm would be more like.

What you are obsessing (thinking about being consumed or emotionally concerned during this no sleep cycle can often be the culprit.

Another words what you are obsessing about is what needs to be addressed, that is what is keeping your attention and being consumed by…. not the cant sleep factor.
That is a part or more often the result of

HTH
Kenny V

Always Hope For Recovery
Stryder Posted - 09/23/2005 : 14:56:03
quote:
Originally posted by gioux
Can insomnia be a TMS equivalent in some way?

Anything that serves as a distraction to hide your inner rage may serve as a TMS equivalent.

For example: If you are fretting and obsessing about not sleeping, then that is a distraction keeping you from addressing your real psychological problems.

Thanks, -Stryder
Stryder Posted - 09/23/2005 : 14:51:52
quote:
Originally posted by kenny V

But if you continue running with it…… you will be amazed how far and long it takes you. (Not recommended eventually you crash)

If you want to fix it and it becomes a problem do it naturally.

Hi kenny V,

Just to clarify by, "running with it", you mean keep cycling later and later, forward, around to a normal time? If so, you are right in that would likely be crash-city.

You provided some interesting info on Melatonin.

Thanks, -Stryder
gioux Posted - 09/23/2005 : 11:09:52
Stryder,
It's very interesting that you posted about your sleeping problems. I am having the same issue. I am up until 3 or four in the morning but am basically functional during the day. I must say that the mental anguish of not sleeping is pretty bad. I have been dealing with TMS for 10+ years and have had some recent "flare-ups" that I am just not getting a hold of. And now the insomnia comes up. I have had insomnia before but never this bad and never for this long (7 nights now). Can insomnia be a TMS equivalent in some way? I orderd the Jacobs book, by the way, but I'm waiting for it to arrive.

kenny V Posted - 09/22/2005 : 23:34:56
What you are describing is your circadian rhythm. The biological clock is disturbed.
Waking up late staying up late is more common than being an early bird.
Try it as you may like but you really can not control it. Sure it’s a pattern you may break.
But if you continue running with it…… you will be amazed how far and long it takes you.
(Not recommended eventually you crash)

If you want to fix it and it becomes a problem do it naturally. Remember the body has many natural healing properties. It has to do with your natural Melatonin.

Melatonin is secreted by the pineal gland. It is a circadian rhythm hormone-thereby affecting the patterns of sleep. Research has shown that cells of the body rejuvenate and repair during the deeper stages of sleep. It is during the deep stages of sleep that the body produces natural killer cells or CD4 cells. Melatonin increases the deeper stage of sleep and stage IV sleep, increasing and enhancing immunity. Improved sleep patterns serve to energize the body and improve mood. Melatonin has powerful antioxidant effects, which accounts for its disease prevention qualities. Melatonin has tremendous cancer prevention effects due to its enhancement of the immune system (thymus).

Melatonin deficiency results in poor sleep, jet lag, irritability, hypersensitivity and premature aging.

HTH
Kenny V

Always Hope For Recovery
Stryder Posted - 09/22/2005 : 19:11:04
Thanks for the replies. I'm sleeping a bit better the last couple nights, but I'm also going to get the recommended book.

So I popped onto Amazon.com to read the intro to "Say Good Night to Insomnia" by Gregg Jacobs, and guess what I see on the back cover of the book regarding Dr Jacob's bio...

"...senior research scientist at the Mind Body Medical Institute."

Hmmm, a familar choice of wording...mind/body...

A few clicks later and I'm at...

http://www.mbmi.org/

Take a look at this link...

http://www.mbmi.org/pages/mbb_mbm1.asp

Its too bad our good Dr. Sarno didn't get any mention or recognition for his groundbreaking in this area.

I'll give the insomnia book a read.

Thanks, -Stryder
windy Posted - 09/20/2005 : 19:38:37
I second what Fox said. The book is great. I was on all manner of sleeping pills for a while, years back, and after weaning myself off them would barely sleep more than 4 or 5 hours/night. This book changed all that.
Fox Posted - 09/20/2005 : 12:48:54
It's "Say Goodnight to Insomnia". Written in a reader friendly manner by someone from Harvard Medical School. Addresses behavioral, environmental, and cognitive approaches to the treatment of insomnia. Believe me, if you apply the ideas presented in this book in an extremely disciplined fashion (and I know all TMSers are plenty disciplined), your insomnia is going to be much less of a problem.....Also addressed is the relative effectiveness of a variety of prescription sleeping pills and specifically how to wean yourself off them if you become dependent on them.....This book has been a "life saver" for me. I've been plagued with severe insomnia for nearly 40 years, and now, after reading and practicing the book, I consider it only a minor problem.
Laura Posted - 09/20/2005 : 08:03:11
Fox,

What's that book called? I guess I missed it before.

Laura
Fox Posted - 09/20/2005 : 07:45:37
See your general practitioner for Ambien -- for me, it's effective (for a few weeks anyway) and gives you no hangover the next morning (the half life is only about 3 hours) and I understand it's not considered very addictive.....Also, read (and put into practice) the insomnia book recommended on this web site - it's outstanding!!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000