TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Childhood

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
2scoops Posted - 05/20/2006 : 11:03:14
I read this today and I thought it was worth postng here.

"The truth about our childhood is stored up in our body, and although we can repress it, we can never alter it. Our intellect can be deceived, our feelings manipulated, and conceptions confused, and our body tricked with mediciation. But someday our body will present it's bill, for it is incorruptible as a child, who still in spirit, will accept no compromises or excuses, and it will not stop tormenting us until we stop evading the truth."
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Penny Posted - 09/25/2006 : 13:52:36

quote:
Originally posted by Hilary

The truth about childhood is stored up in our bodies and lives in the depths of our souls. Our intellect can be deceived, our feelings can be numbed and manipulated, our perceptions shamed and confused, our bodies tricked with medication, but our soul never forgets. And because we are one, one whole soul in one body, someday our body will present its bill. The wounded and lost child is only in hiding; the soul is still whole in spirit. Ultimately, our deepest self will accept no compromises or excuses, and it will not stop tormenting or contaminating us until we stop evading the truth.

Does anyone know what page of "The Drama of the Giften Child" this beautiful quote appears on? I got the book and cannot find it. I wonder if I have a different edition??? mine is from 1981.

>|< Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.
2scoops Posted - 05/22/2006 : 15:14:32
The book did say it was an Alice Miller quote, guess the author didn't quote it exactly.
Hilary Posted - 05/22/2006 : 14:48:57
Actually, I believe that's a mis-quotation from Alice Miller's book, "The Drama of the Gifted Child". Her work has a great deal of relevance for TMS sufferers in regard to the kind of pressures put on children by their parents. It's a very profound and moving book: I recommend it highly.

The full quote is as follows (she uses the word soul as a kind of metaphor for the emotional body):

The truth about childhood is stored up in our bodies and lives in the depths of our souls. Our intellect can be deceived, our feelings can be numbed and manipulated, our perceptions shamed and confused, our bodies tricked with medication, but our soul never forgets. And because we are one, one whole soul in one body, someday our body will present its bill. The wounded and lost child is only in hiding; the soul is still whole in spirit. Ultimately, our deepest self will accept no compromises or excuses, and it will not stop tormenting or contaminating us until we stop evading the truth.
2scoops Posted - 05/21/2006 : 12:53:20
It is from the book Radical Acceptance, by Tatr Brach. I do not believe everything in the book, but it did give me some ideas about where mty feelings of unworthiness come from. These kinds of feelings may be at the very heart of TMS, feelings of inadaquecy, low-self esteem, etc. Since we may view ourselves as inadaquet, we feel we have to show people we we are something, we have to make them happy, by putting our their needs before our own. This causes some of us to be driven to succeed, to be accepted, to banish our feeling of self-worth. That's wha the pain does, it keeps our minds off of our inadaquecies. Here are some questions in the book that may help us focus on feelings of unworthiness.

Do I accept my body as it is?
Do I blame myself when I get sick?
Do I feel I am not attractive enough?
Am I dissatisfied with how my hair looks?
Am I embarrassed about how my face and body are aging?
Do I judge myself for being too heavy? Underweight? Not physically fit?
Do I accept my mind as it is?
Do I judge myself for not being intelligent enough? Humorous? Interesting?
Am I critical of myself for having obssesive thoughts?
Is it okay for me to cry? To feel insecure and vulnerable?
Do I condemn myself for getting depressed?
Am I ashamed of feeling jealous?
Am I critical of myself for getting impatient? Irritable? Intolerant?
Do I feel I'm a bad person because of ways I behave?
Do I hate myself when I act in a self-centered way?
Do I feel something is wrong with mebecause I am not capable of intimacy?
Am I down on myself for not accomplishing enough-for not standing out or being specialin my work?

n/a Posted - 05/21/2006 : 03:55:23
Can you tell us where you took this quotation from, 2scoops? I'd like to read more - this is a subject that i can relate to very much - as can most of us here, I suspect.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000