TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What works/worked BEST against your TMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Posted - 08/17/2008 : 09:18:14
For those of you who have had good success beating TMS, lets start a thread of the EXACT things you did that worked the best.

For example, was it yelling at your subconscious? Intensive journaling?
Simply not thinking of your symptoms or even the thinking about THINKING of your symptoms!

Please share the most critical thing you did for your success.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scottjmurray Posted - 08/18/2008 : 12:08:56
for me beating tms was more about learning how to stop doing the stuff that was causing it rather than doing something else. for example i have a bad habit of avoiding my emotions, or overcompensating for them, or trying too hard to be something i'm not. so recovery was about learning to embrace how i was actually feeling instead of constantly being on the run. the same thing with tms, stop trying to avoid it, run from it, instead learn to face it and see it for what it really is.

---
i'm not s#!t.
i'm champagne.
runner67 Posted - 08/18/2008 : 12:00:46
Paul - Great idea starting this specific thread topic....Thanks!

For me:

1) Making the pressure/anxiety/fear list (journaling) - and it does not have to be with a piece of paper and pencil - Visualize the list inside your head.

2) Relax and smile every opportunity you can. Way too many uptight, dramatic people in our world..

3) Do something physically exhaustive - swim, bike, walk, whatever until your energy is thorougly spent and then don't eat like a pig. Clean out your system..

4) Think it out logically - I have read the majority of the posts on this website and there are some extremely intelligent people sharing their thoughts (armchair, mk, lakevin, baseball, etc..) Think it out logically for yourself the whole TMS theory and draw your own conclusion that you are suffering from TMS and not some physical ailment. Physical ailments heal... Read and reread the Sarno books, read these posts, etc.. You have to 100% draw your own conclusion. I know, a little help from a doctor would go a long way, but TMS doctors are scarce because there is not a lot of financial gain in this speciality.. Think out the TMS theory - it all makes sense!!!

runner67
swmr1 Posted - 08/18/2008 : 07:05:35
1. Recognizing and challenging fear.

2. Not projecting any current symptoms into the future and getting all worked up about them.

3. Going about my business as usual. Challenging my symptoms with activity.

winnieboo Posted - 08/18/2008 : 06:46:40
I like the idea of pressures list. Thanks!
HilaryN Posted - 08/18/2008 : 05:15:05
Encouragement from those who had recovered!

quote:
(Winnieboo): 6. Ceasing the "I'm sick, or I don't feel well, or I'm aching or I can't do this physical thing" talk, both internally and with family and friends. Hearing these things perpetuated my identification with my "sorry" condition. Pushed me to think of myself in a new way.

Yes, very important, and I still catch myself doing that when some equivalent pops up, and have to stop myself doing it.

For me, when little equivalents pop up I have to do the “yelling at my subconscious“ / be very firm in telling myself that it's not “physical”.

Hilary N
armchairlinguist Posted - 08/17/2008 : 23:57:52
Reading lots and lots of TMS literature.

Returning to normal physical activity.

Making a pressures list and realizing how much was really going on for me.

--
What were you expecting?
winnieboo Posted - 08/17/2008 : 10:54:05
1. Realizing that the pain is directly connected to emotions.
2. Realizing that I was conditioned not to feel those emotions. Had to work on this in psychotherapy. Sarno recommends we see a psychodynamic therapist, so shop for that if you go this direction.
3. Relaxation tapes
4. Spiritual books
5. Resuming normal activities and exercise and work.
6. Ceasing the "I'm sick, or I don't feel well, or I'm aching or I can't do this physical thing" talk, both internally and with family and friends. Hearing these things perpetuated my identification with my "sorry" condition. Pushed me to think of myself in a new way.

In the beginning, I journaled and that released a lot of anger and I had a lot of anger both from my childhood and in the present and recent past, too. I did yell at my brain quite a bit back then. But at some point, I moved past needing to yell or wanting to journal, so I moved on to other resources.

It's a journey and it's certainly individual, so I would say the key is to stay committed to getting well and be open to experimenting with different things that you hear about or that you feel will help you. The relaxation tapes and meditation encourage us to listen to ourselves, too, as we have a lot of wisdom within and have a lot of restorative and healing powers if we can just calm down the noise.

It's not over for me yet, after a year, but I'm SO MUCH BETTER...I had disc issues and neck and arm pain, and that's diminished, but am still working through symptoms--the symptom imperative. The pain is telling us something I think and it ends up taking us on a trip where we learn a lot of good things about ourselves.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000