TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 4years in misery

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wiser Posted - 07/09/2009 : 04:17:39
Hallo, I'm 32 years old man, according to my MRI result I have HNP L5-S1. This pain started 4 years ago when I woke up in the morning but recovered within one week. 2 weeks afterwards the pain came again and went through along my left leg and never get better ever since. I've tried chiropractic, traditional chinese massage, acupunture, yoga, meditation, you name that but with little progress.
Almost deperate, last week I found Sarno's book "Healing back pain, mind and body connection". But my problem is that I don't know how and where to start review my self, til now I can not find any traumas, anger or anything attributable to my back pain. Sorry for my poor english, any opinions, helps and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you
P.S. I live in indonesia, it's impossible for me to meet Mr. Sarno directly.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Piano5 Posted - 07/10/2009 : 08:39:49
Worry is normal... but you want to try and eliminate it. Sarno recommends learning about TMS and journaling about your feelings until your brain's ability to distract you begins to wane. As your pain dissipates (even if it is a small amount), that will be encouragement that you are indeed healthy, and your brain's strategy is being thwarted.

So, my advice is to wait until you are confident in the TMS theory/diagnosis, talk to your brain and tell it that your conscious thoughts are more powerful and logical than your unconscious, and that it will stop reducing blood flow to parts of your body.
pandamonium Posted - 07/10/2009 : 05:15:00
Start the exercise gently and use lots of self-talk before & during (look at posts on here for ideas, but typically "I am fit, healthy and strong", that sort of thing).
Take a pain killer if you need one, there's nothing wrong with using it in the short term as long as you address the underlying problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A beginner's guide to psychology: If it's not your mum's fault.... it's your dad's...
wiser Posted - 07/09/2009 : 20:15:14
Thank you Pandamonium and Piano5. YES I agree there must be something wrong with my mind, not my body. It's no way I be a cripple like this for 4 years, I used to be a very active person I love bicycling, football, badminton, taekwondo etc. but now I totally STOP any vigorious activities. I've spent more than $1000 for this pain without progress. If only I read Sarno's book sooner, I wouldn't spend too much money for that useless therapies and drugs. I'm about to start my favorite sports soon, but still worry with this backpain,any tips on how to ignore this pain without drugs? (no more pain killer for me, It's just enough)
Piano5 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 11:43:55
Hello Wiser, my biggest progress with TMS took a long time to settle in my brain, but when this happens for you, I'm sure you'll make progress. Anyways, I finally TOLD, not asked myself: "Wait a minute. This doesn't make sense. There is no way I be SO injured that I haven't healed in two years. I have been healthy before, and there is some foul play going on in my brain."

The Mindbody Prescription was also very helpful with its in-depth discussion of psychological contributions to TMS.

You would never guess the things that you will learn about yourself. For example, I was about to spend $2000 on a digital piano when my right arm tightened up and hurt for weeks. I eventually realized it was due to TMS because my mother once threatened to kick me out of the house when I was 16 because I bought an expensive guitar. As you study TMS, you will learn that the brain is more powerful than you ever imagined.
pandamonium Posted - 07/09/2009 : 05:44:43
Hi Wiser,

I am not sure at this stage that you have to "find any traumas" although that's something you might want to think about as time goes on.

First off, you have to believe that physically there is nothing wrong with your back, and that sitting, twisting, bending or standing in a certain way will not do any damage or make it worse (even though you may feel pain).

Then see if you can identify any triggers, eg "I always get pain when I do x, y or z". Then you can work on ignoring the triggers when they occour.

Look at the section called So You Think You Might Have TMS on the TMS wiki for other ideas about how to tackle TMS.

Read success stories on here, banish physical therapy, continue with normal exercise, take a pain killer when necessary, and switch to thinking emotional during any flare ups. Journalling can help dredge up stuff from the past, and help you work it through. You could start with topics like family, school, work, relationships etc and see what comes out.

Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A beginner's guide to psychology: If it's not your mum's fault.... it's your dad's...

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000