TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Possible to "talk yourself" out of a muscle spasm?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
avik Posted - 11/02/2014 : 10:38:18
Of the countless TMS equivalents I have had over the past 20 years, neck spasms are the one ailment that i cannot completely figure out.

I have learned to "talk myself our of" or "ignore" chronic neck pain but I cannot seem to stop the sudden, out-of-the-blue spasms.

Reason being, I think I have convinced myself that once the spasm has struck, that I need 2-3 days for it to "release" (this is how it has always worked for me in the past).

My question is, once it has struck...and I have one right now...is there any way to apply TMS methods to relieving the pain? Or, is it that its a real, spasm of the muscle that simply takes time to heal, regardless of TMS being the culprit?
Ive tried ignoring it and talking to it and every other option but the pain is incredibly sharp...I just cant seem to work through it.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EileenTM Posted - 11/20/2014 : 19:50:16
I sometimes get painful intense cramps in my calf or foot. I am usually able to stop them within a few minutes by talking to my sub c. I often have to be firm…but it usually works.
jude Posted - 11/18/2014 : 19:09:34
Thanks for the thoughts, Andy!

Well, based on the Sarno quote, I would have to claim strain not spasm because the pain was not extreme. Just surprising that a strain would disappear so quickly.

Bottom line, I guess the body's ways are a continual source of surprise....
andy64tms Posted - 11/18/2014 : 16:37:43
Hi jude,

Dr Sarno stated in his book “Healing Back Pain” that:
“Spasm is a state of extreme contraction (tightening, tensing) of the muscles, an abnormal condition that may be horrifically painful”.

He also said the following about Sprain and Strain:
“The term Sprain should be restricted to clear-cut instances of minor injury, like turning the ankle. I am not sure what a strain is supposed to be. Unfortunately both of these are often used when the symptom is a TMS manifestation.”

Andy64TMS:
In my opinion since you had a real instant of back pulling, you could have either a Spasm or slight Sprain and as you say: “ a typical physical problem”. In addition TMS typically hangs around and yours has left.

on occasion I have dealt with both: Spasms ( Major) and Sprains (Minor) with Yoga, Hot Baths, and Tylenol PM as the Charley Horse on my neck can be both, but it seems to me the more I ignore it the less bothersome it becomes.

May I refer readers to Jude’s two outstanding success stories where she recovered from RSI and abdominal issues. I also learned the word: “proclivity”

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
jude Posted - 11/17/2014 : 15:16:39
I was coming on here after not being around for a long time (mainly because my TMS has been "doing well" thank goodness) because I have a question about muscle spasm. Don't want to hijack your thread, but wasn't sure if it was better to start a new thread when this related one exists (?)

Anyway, I recently made what I would call a wrong move-- I stood up fast and reached around at the same time. The result was an instant "pull." Back issues were never part of my TMS (carpel tunnel, stomach, weird pains, periformis, but not back). So I am not familiar enough to even know the difference between, say, strain and spasm.

For 3 days, I had considerable pain and discomfort in the area of my left hip, around toward the back side. Not like a charleyhorse, if that is what a spasm is. But lost mobility and even nausea at first from the pain. On the 4th day the pain suddenly diminished drastically, and by the next day was gone completely.

So my question is this. Is this a typical physical problem? Is that how a simple spasm works? Or is it a strain? From what I read, spasms seem to resolve in a matter of minutes, while strains can take weeks. So does this mean what I experienced (which doesn't fit either of those) was actually TMS?

I'd be curious what any of you who are familiar with back issues could say to shed light...

RageSootheRatio Posted - 11/08/2014 : 08:27:55
Hi Avik,

I'm not sure if what I have always called my muscle "cramps" are the same as a spasm, but I've had them for years and years (WAY before I knew of TMS). Mainly cramps in my toes for most of my life, but more recently (in the last couple of years?) in my legs and jaw. They are REALLY acutely painful.

I've tried various "folk" remedies including putting a bar of soap in the bed and pickle juice! I don't think either of those worked, really.

I'm not sure I ever considered that they might be TMS. I've never "talked myself out of one" ... I've always felt like they just have to run their course BUT in my case, they do run their course in MINUTES usually ... I'd say 5 to 10 minutes. I've had a couple maybe that have lasted 30 minutes or on and off maybe even a few hours, but NEVER longer than that.

When I first had a jaw one, that really scared me at first (Of course I wondered if it was a heart attack and almost started googling) but it too, ended within minutes.

Now that I am writing this, I am thinking that mine seem to come out-of-the-blue and I am remembering another thing that I tried, which is something that always worked for my father: immediately taking calcium, the kind of tablets you put in water and they fizz up. I'm not sure that worked for me, either actually. Hard to tell, as mine tend to recede quite quickly anyway.

For some time when I was getting them more regularly, I REALLY worried about getting one while driving on the highway, (it happened once), making it excruciating and almost impossible to drive! Luckily I haven't had one of those in years and had almost forgotten that.

Anyway, in case it helps your brain to know that for other people (well for this one at least), the spasms can come and go relatively quickly.

~RSR

andy64tms Posted - 11/03/2014 : 16:10:17
Hi Avik,

I remember you from several years ago where we discussed our necks in detail; I hope you are doing well. It is my belief that a neck spasm that you describe is a major oxygen starvation similar to a Charley horse. Here is a list of official factors from Healthline website. The list mentions inadequate blood flow (Oxygen starvation I would think)and Stress.

A number of factors may cause a muscle to cramp or spasm. The most common causes of charley horses include:
• inadequate blood flow to the muscle
• muscle injuries
• exercising in excessive heat or cold
• overuse of a specific muscle during exercise
• stress (most often in the neck muscles)
• not stretching before exercise
• nerve compression in the spine
• taking diuretics (often prescribed for high blood pressure), which can lead to low potassium levels
• mineral depletion (too little calcium, potassium, and sodium in the blood)
• dehydration

For me, Major spasms like this are rare and do not come out of the blue. The last one I had was several weeks ago, and I am ashamed to say my own fault for I let myself down. You can read it if you want “This Forum attacked me”

If it’s a real spasm, it’s probably even hard to the touch and hurts with pressure. I sooth mine with a hot bath, yoga and maybe a Tylenol. Of course connecting with a stress situation that may have caused it is imperative. Like you two days recovery is about how long it takes me as well. Aren’t we lucky it’s not forever!

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000