TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Migraine "Triggers"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  10:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had chronic migraines for years. My family doctor (and my migraine diary format) urges me to look for triggers. My neurologist, however, doesn't really focus on triggers and I feel more comfortable with that. Actually, I believe my frequent migraines are random - perhaps set off by unconscious anger, as mentioned by Sarno, that have spilled over into physical symptoms due to some personal containment threshold that has been breached. Also, I feel like searching for trigger patterns would be ultimately self defeating in that I would be falling into the conditioning trap - expecting a migraine to be provoked whenever a trigger was encountered - self fulfilling prophesy. And then I would have more and more life activities that I would feel compelled to avoid. I have been through the programming/conditioning mess with my sciatica and finally seem to be making some headway in this area realizing what is going on. Does this thinking (discounting the whole migraine triggers idea) make sense?

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  01:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been diagnosed with ocular migraines. What happens is I wake up with blurry distance vision in my left eye that lasts all day. The next morning it's usually ~80% better, but it's not totally normal until 2 days later. The right eye is perfectly normal the whole time.

The frequency ranges from once every couple of months to as little as once per year, in total I've probably had around 15 of them.

It is unquestionably stress or "trigger" related because the ONLY time I ever get one is when I have to travel somewhere. Since I'm not traveling on the majority of days they clearly are not random events.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  21:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try getting caffeine out of your intake 100%. Read the labels of foods / meds looking for caffeine. It is hiding in so many products. It may take some weeks of tapering off, or you can go cold turkey (suffer for a couple weeks while you dry out).

Once you stabilize, try this test. If a migraine starts, drink 1/2 a cup of coffee or 1/2 can of coke. If the symptoms stop in 20 minutes, then your migraine are caffeine withdrawal headaches.

Take care, -Stryder ///
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  16:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point, Stryder. The American Headache Association (I think that is the group that I read about recently) said that drinking more than two cups of coffee per week could cause rebound headaches. Oddly enough, coffee seems to help my migraines in the short term, but the downside is it messes with my digestive system, and I get so quickly tolerant to it, and I fear the rebound headaches - which can also be caused by overuse of OTC pain relievers and prescription Maxalt. Looking at the pros and cons of this highly addictive drug, caffeine, it is best for me to abstain totally.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  11:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weatherman - are your ocular migraines caused by the extra stress of travel or perhaps, at this point, by mental conditioning about travel? Did a migraine develop for you during a trip (maybe randomly or by an overflow of the "reservoir of rage") [term per Sarno, I believe] unrelated to travel and you got locked into/programmed to expect them for all trips? That is what I want to avoid and why I fear any focus on triggers in regard to migraines (or sciatica).
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  02:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fox,

I have wondered about that. I don't know if the first one was due to stress about travel, or just stress in general that randomly manifested on a travel day. But it sure isn't random now.

I have a love/hate relationship with travel; it's great when it's my idea and I'm doing it for fun. And it's OK at work when I'm doing stuff in the field that I'm knowledgeable about and have an idea what to expect. But there are other times when you're heading into an unknown situation along with a time constraint. Kind of like jumping off a cliff with a roll of silk and having to make a parachute before you hit the ground...that is the essence of stress.

This is a bit off subject but there is a great book called "The Introvert Advantage" that helped me understand how I'm wired. I don't know if there's a correlation between introversion and TMS. I've never met anyone from this board in person, and haven't talked up TMS with many people I know since the vast majority wouldn't be open to it. And I live hundreds of miles from any TMS doc that would expose anyone to it.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  08:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Introvert book, based on its description on Amazon, looks like a great book, and I may buy it in order to help some others in my life, but I happen to be a TMSer who is more of an extrovert (except when I have a migraine - then I crave isolation). My mother was an extrovert (also had migraines) and my Dad an introvert. Both were tremendously effective in dealing with all aspects of life - but approached the challenges in their own way. My brother and I appear to have gotten the extrovert hard wiring from my mother.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  01:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I don’t want to give cures, and all, on this board. But not everything is TMS, or even if it IS, there are things the can reverse the inflammation.

I get eye pain, which builds up to a migraine, or eye-graine, as it’s known. It seems to have something to do with my liver, in that taking some liver herbs, or particularly NAC, can break its hold.

BUT.... The absolute ROYAL GUARANTEED migraine cure, as tried and tested by me and many female friends, is the COFFEE ENEMA. So, if you’ve been made scared by caffeine (above) know that putting it up your bum is not the same — it is a much more gentle buzz and can even be used to calm you down and to calm pain. In fact, CE’s were used in WWI when they ran out of morphine. The caffeine travels up the Vega nerve to the gall bladder, which it encourages to squirt bile, which cleans out the liver and G.B., and the congestion causing the migraine is dramatically fixed.

Riboflavin also works, but not as well. Don’t be squeamish about coffee, friend or enema (there is a book called that) and lots of very good eequipment at, for example Optima Health website.

People at Gershon’s very successful cancer clinic are put on several Ces a day and even the staff do them because they see they work so well. It raises your mood, pain, depression, inflammation,Try it!!!

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000