TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Reversal of curve of cervical spine anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skidudette

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  17:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a recent "patient" of Dr. Sarno, and have been suffering with tms for 5 years now. I am feeling better than I have been....actually had a wonderful 2 weeks of virtually no pain....BUT...in my pursuit of pain relief over the years, I've been told I have a reversal of the curve of my cervical spine, which "is" the cause of a lot of my pain. Has anyone else had this diagnosis? My thought is that I have tms, along with a true medical problem. Is this possible?? Thanks everyone.

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  21:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, these findings are most likely not the cause of your pain, but a result of it. Cervical paraspinal muscle spasm, implicated to some degree in the cause of pain in TMS, can cause straightening of the curvature of the spine (or "loss of lordosis").

Obviously, as long as you have been thoroughly evaluated by a physician, this is typically nothing of concern.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  09:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skidudette,

I hear you - I've been told by numerous practitioners in the past that I have a reverse curve, but mine is in the lumbar region. Around L4 (where I have had a disk surgery years ago) there is a distinct bump sticking out, and the whole lumbar curve is kind of flat, with this bump in the middle, so I'm told.

Even with this, I've had considerable nearly pain free periods. I was doing well up to six months ago, although that's with dutifully adhering to stretching and back exercises. But the more I read and absorb about the mechanisms of TMS, the more it makes sense, and the more I believe that it's been largely responsible for my back pain and stiffness all along. Although I'll confess I've been one of those tough to crack cases at some level as the pain hasn't yet just vanished, though I have reclaimed some activities. That structural stuff still lurks somewhere back in my mind even as I think more and more psychologically - still a work in progress I'm afraid.

"Cervical paraspinal muscle spasm, implicated to some degree in the cause of pain in TMS, can cause straightening of the curvature of the spine (or "loss of lordosis")."

Dr. Ziggles,

Have you seen cases of this, and seen them resolve? If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that TMS in the spinal muscles can actually be responsible for altering the curvature of the low back or neck regions? That would imply that the muscles themselves are physically tightening and shortening, as well as being oxygen deprived. If so, that would explain why I was at times able to hold TMS back pain at bay, but not resolve it, with daily stretching, massage etc. Relief lasted until he brain decided to tighten everything up again, which could be the next day or even the next hour.

BTW it's great to have your insights on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  20:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your ideas about muscular involvement are correct, and at least partly why some physical techniques can improve TMS pain. The classic finding of TMS on exam is tender, often tense cervical paraspinal muscles (back of the neck), among others. This tension, if bad enough ("spasm") can change the curvature of the spinal column, and can be seen on imaging. This can completely reverse itself and is not harmful.

I'm glad I can be of help. I learn a lot from you guys as well!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000