TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Anxiety attack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  10:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Saturday I woke up with a splitting tension and/or sinus headache and my typical TMS pain in my jaw and shoulder, which was very bad that morning. I took a couple of aspirin. Mind you, I've been in constant pain (except when I sleep) for more than 4 months. Anyway, I started dwelling on what was bothering me...that is, my girlfriend leaving me...and my pain went away. I mean completely. Then I started having a terrible anxiety attack in my house that lasted for an hour. I was very somber for the rest of the day after the attack ceased, but I remained free of pain. Sunday the TMS pain was back and I was less anxious. I guess this is classic TMS symptom switching.

My concern is that how will I be able to focus on the psychological if it brings things that are so terrifying to the forefront that cause this level of anxiety? Obviously, this is one of the reasons the TMS pain started in the first place. These feelings of abandonment are so horrible for me to feel. Is psychoanalysis the only choice for me?

Edited by - Steve on 08/16/2004 10:18:27

iyusaf

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  11:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emotional pain can be terrifying. It's no wonder that physical pain and its equivalents are readily accepted in lieu of of the feelings.

The right psychotherapist can provide a safe environment for you to explore these terrifying feelings and furthermore help to integrate them.

You ask if this is your only choice. It's not your only choice, but certainly one that makes sense given your current situation.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

res

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  13:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently had a very similar reaction. I had an anxiety attack but the pain remained. I was suprised at how strong my emotions were as well. Doesn't Dr. Sarno talk in one of his books about a patient that noticed anxiety attacks when the symptoms started resolving? I think that the anxiety is part of what the distraction is for. I am using this as a cue that I may be needing some counseling (psychotherapy) to find out what is going on emotionally.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  13:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My concern is that how will I be able to focus on the psychological if it brings things that are so terrifying to the forefront that cause this level of anxiety?

That is the whole idea!

You should consider it great progress. The pain failed in its mission so the brain chose anxiety. You just need to learn how to treat it the same as the pain; accept the anxiety, understand its purpose, and let it pass through.

You may very well benefit from psychoanalysis. Fear of abandonment most likely goes back to your childhood. It would be worth exploring with an expert.
Go to Top of Page

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  09:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. Well, the fear of abandonment is something that is definitely rooted in my childhood when my dad left home when I was 10 and didn't come back for years. It's something that came up when I was in therapy years ago but had no idea of the depth of its impact on my subconscious. Hopefully the realization and acknowledgement of that is half the battle. I do believe it is the largest contributor to my huge reservoir of rage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000