TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 PLEASE Help ME-Mind Numbness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sis

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  17:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could I please get some similiar feedback. I am trying really hard to calm my mind but it just doean't cooperate recently. I keep getting scared about my numbness in my left leg. It has been going on for over 8 months now-not every day evry now and then recently more and more. Then my mind starts to go and go and go and go-Next thing my side feels numb my hands are tingling off and on throghout the day. Then I get scared becuse deep down I think know it is TMS and my mind distracting me but then I get scared that me being scared will make the numbness worse and involve on other parts of my body as well as the left leg. My mind keeps going back to MS and then everytime I feel tingling or numbeness somewhere else my mind goes to... Oh know the MS must be spreading. I've been told 2x's by my Nuero. that he doesn't think I have MS-two brain MRI's and now that I told him my left fingers are tingling he wants to do another brain MRI, Cervical MRI and two other MS tests. The left leg numbness most oftern happens after I awake in the morning. WHY??? Last night while walking my leg started feeling really weird and somewaht numb. I got back to the house and as soon as I put a Xnax sp? on my tounge it started feeling better. If that isn't proof that it is my mind I don't know what is. But when I started thinking about the numbness tonight I went into a panic again and I can't take it anymore. I know I sound crazy-I feel like I'm crazy.... Anyone similair??

cyn

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  18:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had different symptoms, but I really relate to your fear. I went from thinking I had tms to a brain tumor to colon cancer. Sounds crazy but at the time it's really real. What helped me was to reread the book and try to use some logic that my symptoms were better and that these other illness don't improve, they get worse. I think it really helps to voice your fear to others. Once you talk about it, it's not quite as scary. That's why this board is so wonderful. Everyone here understands what you are going thru. Take a deep breath and think about it. Deep down you know that you are ok. When you get past the fear, and it takes some time, you will inprove more rapidly. I really feel the video is helpful. You see and hear people just like yourself that are now fine. I also actually think that listening to Dr. Sarno will build your confidence. He is very calming. I also think he is a genius. Good luck to you!
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  19:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You had tests to rule out MS, and you've been told you don't have MS. So why do you keep thinking you do?

Everything you describe sounds like TMS. The key is conditioning. You feel symptoms when and where you expect them. The fact that the numbness gets worse when you start obsessing over it should tell you that the numbness is psychogenic.

quote:
The left leg numbness most oftern happens after I awake in the morning. WHY???

Conditioning. It is one of the most important concepts in TMS. It's like Pavlov's dogs. You have become conditioned to feel numbness after you awake in the morning.

Your obsessive thoughts and anxiety are equivalent TMS symptoms. It sounds like your mind is really fighting your acceptance of the TMS diagnosis. Fight back by telling it you know exactly what is going on and you refuse to fall victim to it.

When you feel those symptoms, take a deep breath and refuse to pay it notice. Ignore it. You know it is in your mind. Instead, steer your thoughts towards possible sources of RAGE. Think about anger, fear, guilt, and other negative emotions you may be repressing. Be honest with yourself. Your symptoms are desperate to distract you from something. Try to figure out what it is.
Go to Top of Page

Louise

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  21:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a numb spot on the bottom of my right food - right under the big toe. I've had it for months. To me, it's no big deal. After living through excruciating back/butt/leg pain for months, numbness is nothing!

I've been diagnosed as having 2 herniated discs in my back, and have been told my a neurosurgeon that I need spinal fusion surgery. Fortunately, I found "Healing Back Pain", and that surgery will never happen. As I live in LA, I consulted with Dr. Schechter. He ran tests and I have no major nerve damage, so he told me not to worry about it.

There have been posts on the old message board about the Harvard RSI website. As RSI often includes numbness, you might want to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  18:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cyndy,
One MRI is usually enough for diagnosing whatever you think you may have. Well, you have had 2 MRIs and both of them are negative for MS so that works in your favour . Then you say that you know deep down inside that it may be tms -that's good too.

Deling with the pain and overcoming the fear is difficult but it can be done. Dave is absolutely right about the conditioning. That's why you feel the left leg numbness in the morning. Believing the tms diagnoses and changing your perception of the pain is crucial to getting better . Many people on this forum have had success with this approach and the support that you get here is far more than what 100 doctors will ever give you. If you can, I suggest getting Sarno's mindbody prescription video. Much much cheaper than going for another MRI and more effective too.

Good Luck.

Mala

mala
Go to Top of Page

pault

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  05:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What has happened? Nothing but fear and numbness brought on by tms's biggest asset : "FEAR" The only thing you have to fear is: fear itself.Where have we heard that before!What a great job the human brain can do to distract us,by depleting blood/oxy to the site of the supposed problem.The problem(s) are what ever is bothering You! You may be fortunate enough to find out,or as with most of us syou won't ,but it dosen't matter as long as you any your brain are conditiond to twart off the foolish symptoms and realize they are harmless.Read/reread,believe get well soon. Paul.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000