TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 For those with neck pain.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  18:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because Neck pain involve the most 'mobile' part of the spine, it often happen that with muscular spasms, the neck become twisted and stay twisted for a while. So you are in a resting position and you naturally look 45 degrés on the left or right because of the spasms..

I am experiencing this almost every day and usually I just try to focus on the emotional and moving my neck to some extent but not too much because of the pain.. Is it right ? would it be okay to just 'force' some neck rotation despite the spasms and the pain and just dig into the pain whatever the severity of that pain???? ...

Where is the line that separates deconditionning your body and
masochism ????

This line is a very thin one . How do you manage that ?

thanx

P.

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  11:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without examining you it's hard to be sure, but the problem you describe may not be run of the mill neck pain/TMS. If you are really having twisting to that degree, that is hard to resist, other problems such as cervical dystonia (torticollis) should be considered. This is a different entity, and is treated in a different way. If you haven't seen a neurologist, it would probably be a good idea...
Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  12:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DrZiggles thanx for the answer,

I have been seen by a neurologist and many other doctors such as physiatrist, etc when this all began 8 months ago. At that time I had neck rotation limitation on the left but I did not feel these twist in my neck when in resting position at that time. Nobody told me about specific treatment related to distonia (no torticolis diagnosis was done even if I feel lateral muscle imbalance in my neck) other than PT. My neck spasms went worse over the months along with strong neck exercices prescribed by my PT.

My neck twisting is actually changing depending on which muscle are in spasm. Some times I feel twisted on the left sometime I feel twisted on the right. However, the main muscle group spasms are usually always located on the left side of my neck. Since I stopped all physical exercices and entered TMS approach, I feel the spasms are decreasing a little bit more each weeks. I still feel the neck spasms on the left but the location of these spasms is changing according to the way my neck is popping and cracking. Some times the spasms are in the upper cervical region , sometimes they are in the lower cervical area.

Does it still sound TMS in your opinion ? To me it looks like a torticolis that was triggered and worsen becaue of TMS. One of the main proof I find to support this is that sometimes the emotional work is able to dissolve my left neck spasms for a couple of hours.

Thanx in advance

Regards

Pat.

Edited by - FlyByNight on 03/10/2006 12:14:34
Go to Top of Page

joemccarthy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  16:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Pat I'm no doctor but my history is similar. I was dx'd with torticollis after sustaining whiplash type injuries about 5 years ago. My head and neck would CRANK around to the right sometimes with acute pain and sometimes with an ache like "toothache". MRI's showed 2 bulging discs; C4-5, 6-7 I think. PT did range of motion stuff and gave me exercises to do which didn't really do much. After a few months it was mostly better but intermittant pain and spasm on both R and L sides and eventually bad pain radiating to the R arm and starting somewhere on the high part of my scapula near the spine but not on the spine was really getting to me. Every time I drove I would freeze a little when having to look for traffic on the far left. I got rear ended again about 2 years ago and now my symptoms were all on the left. Left scapula, L arm with numbness and tingling to the fingers. My life was a pain in the neck. New MRI's showed worsening of the disc bulges, compression and arthritis. Neurosurgeon said surgery would be necessary but not yet. I used to walk around with my ear on my shoulder and holding my elbow up higher than my chest. Lots of spasms. Rice Krispies in my neck all the time; snap, crackle and pop!
When I read TMP by Sarno I was in the middle of 3 weeks of really bad pain and spasm but something clicked in my brain and suddenly my MRI's weren't scary anymore. TMS made sense to me for a lot of reasons but one that really hit me was that the pain had changed sides more than once over the years. All of a sudden I felt relief from fear and anxiety and started laughing at the Rice Krispie guys in my neck! I started blowing the raspberry at the pain and flipping the bird at the surgeon's office building. Within a week the spasm was gone and then the pain!!
I can't diagnose you but if you're like me you got to BELIEVE it's TMS. Good luck

joemccarthy
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  22:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FlyByNight: without being able to examine you myself I cannot give you specifics. Wish I could. However, let's say for argument's sake that it is torticollis. That is a condition that can be worsened by stress/emotional factors. Moreso, no one even knows what the cause is! Could it be a TMS equivalent? Possibly, though I have zero evidence for this and I would not posit it very strongly.

Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  19:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe.

I think your story will help me A LOT my friend ... youre right our experices are very similar.

thanx a lot

P.
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  12:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey P:
I hope your neck keeps getting better. I'm amazed that mine does not hurt now in the morning (just haven't mastered the whole day yet) Are yur ears still the same? That is what I have the most problem with.

quote:
Originally posted by FlyByNight

Joe.

I think your story will help me A LOT my friend ... youre right our experices are very similar.

thanx a lot

P.

Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  12:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joela,

thank youvery much for your reply...

My situation is changing a lot ... 2 days without pain, one day in massive pain, today . its both.. 20 minutes no pain, 1h massive pain ... pain at the base of the skull.. then moving to the neck-shoulder junction .... spasms coming and going ......
Today my tinnitus is okay as my spasms are not toooo strong... yesterday it was just awful ...

LOOKS LIKE TMS TO MEEEEE!

hehehe

how are YOU doing Joela ?? Can you tell me more about your condition ? I would be very interested to share more with you.

P.
Go to Top of Page

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  13:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey Pat I'm no doctor but my history is similar. I was dx'd with torticollis after sustaining whiplash type injuries about 5 years ago. My head and neck would CRANK around to the right sometimes with acute pain and sometimes with an ache like "toothache". MRI's showed 2 bulging discs; C4-5, 6-7 I think. PT did range of motion stuff and gave me exercises to do which didn't really do much. After a few months it was mostly better but intermittant pain and spasm on both R and L sides and eventually bad pain radiating to the R arm and starting somewhere on the high part of my scapula near the spine but not on the spine was really getting to me. Every time I drove I would freeze a little when having to look for traffic on the far left. I got rear ended again about 2 years ago and now my symptoms were all on the left. Left scapula, L arm with numbness and tingling to the fingers. My life was a pain in the neck. New MRI's showed worsening of the disc bulges, compression and arthritis. Neurosurgeon said surgery would be necessary but not yet. I used to walk around with my ear on my shoulder and holding my elbow up higher than my chest. Lots of spasms. Rice Krispies in my neck all the time; snap, crackle and pop!
When I read TMP by Sarno I was in the middle of 3 weeks of really bad pain and spasm but something clicked in my brain and suddenly my MRI's weren't scary anymore. TMS made sense to me for a lot of reasons but one that really hit me was that the pain had changed sides more than once over the years. All of a sudden I felt relief from fear and anxiety and started laughing at the Rice Krispie guys in my neck! I started blowing the raspberry at the pain and flipping the bird at the surgeon's office building. Within a week the spasm was gone and then the pain!!
I can't diagnose you but if you're like me you got to BELIEVE it's TMS. Good luck

joemccarthy

successstory
Go to Top of Page

scd1833

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  15:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF it's TMS, doing the exercises will only continue to focus your attention on the "physical" pain, and associated structures, and not the real cause, the emotional factors, which are not affected by simple stretching exercises.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000