TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Have you seen Dr. Angelov or Dr. Segal?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

larkascending

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  21:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I am thinking of seeing either Dr.Alex Angelov near Boston or Dr. Andrea Segal in Washington for a TMS diagnosis. Seeing either one will mean traveling by car, airplane and car again, so I want to be sure that I see someone suitable. I really enjoyed Dr. Segal's contribution to The Divided Mind but know nothing about Dr.Angelov. Has anyone seen either of them and what were your impressions? Do either of them give seminars after diagnosis or group meetings?

Thanks.

Bat Ears

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  10:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Dr. Andrea Leonard-Segal, and so did my wife a couple of years later. Dr. Segal's approach is two one-hour sessions with her; the first is diagnostic and discussion, and the second is more work on root causes and what you can do. There are no seminars or group meetings that I know of. She is at the Center for Integrative Medicine at George Washington University, and is one of a group of practitioners of various non-mainstream-medical modalities, but has impressive credentials herself, being a rheumatologist. She is great for confirming what you already know or suspect, that you have TMS, and for giving you the confidence to take care of your problem yourself. She can be depended upon to distinguish between TMS and real physical problems. She told my wife that the lower back/hip problem was TMS but that there was something bad for real in her shoulder, and to see our orthopod. We have both had good outcomes.
Go to Top of Page

dwinsor52

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  18:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Dr. Angelov as a patient and my husband, who is a television producer who did a story on TMS, interviewed him for the story. We both thought he was wonderful. The thing is, you have to be REALLY understanding TMS to see him, in my opinion. He is Russian as is his staff, he does not have a fancy office, and he does use homeopathy and acupuncture, so he is not a Sarno "purist". I went to see him for my restless legs syndrome after my TMS pain had gone, and he called my RLS a "soap bubble", which I really liked. He is very attentive and goes beyond what most doctors will do. In other words, he really cares. He is a very special doctor but if you are looking for your typical white-coated distant type of guy, he is not it.
Debby
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  20:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debby,
Where is DR. Angelov, he sounds great...I am Czech, so maybe he'll give me a discount..lol..
Go to Top of Page

dwinsor52

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  11:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is in Swampscott, Mass. He has a web site. Alexander Angelov.
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  12:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding Dr. Andrea Leonard-Segal, mentioned above by Bat Ears, she has an excellent chapter in The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders, in which she tells of her "conversion" to Dr. Sarno's way of thinking,
quote:
At the same time that I was taking care of him, I, myself, developed a backache for the one and only time in my life. It dragged on for a few months and I could not figure out the reason for it. I saw a few physicians who offered standard diagnoses and prescriptions that did not make sense and were of no value. The continuing pain eventually led me to John Sarno, M.D. at the Rusk Institute, New York University Medical Center, first as a patient and then as a colleague; thus began the most profound and rewarding medical education that I had experienced both personally and professionally. This education became a new pathway to benefit patients in a simple, noninvasive, and confidence-building way.

So, for the last fifteen years, I have been fortunate enough to experience the professional satisfaction of moving people - even those who are the most severely ill - from a state of debilitating pain and hopelessness to a pain-free, completely functional life. The frustration I experienced taking care of the young man with the recurrent back problem is substantially a thing of the past. It is gratifying to see people who have been dogged by intermittent attacks of pain break the cycle. It is a pleasure to watch patients who thought they would forever be drug dependent to function, to be able to shut the door to their medicine cabinet. It is a pleasure to help people who have had to stop working return to work. It is a pleasure to help people who have suffered from low self-esteem and who have put too much pressure on themselves to succeed in everything, every day, gain confidence and learn to become more satisfied with whom they are. Over the past few years, I have come to devote my entire private practice to these types of patients.

She concludes her excellent chapter as follows:
quote:
The beauty of the TMS diagnosis is that it is a hopeful one that can result in a true cure. The treatment leads to resumption of full physical activity, the emergence of a more emotionally healthy life and an education in self-awareness. The patient who has recovered from TMS grows into a happier, more comfortable, more peaceful person who sees new paths toward greater personal fulfillment.
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  18:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx Debby, and thanx for sharing that Ralph..i am not there yet in the book...looking forward to it..
Go to Top of Page

larkascending

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  20:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Debby and Bats Ears for sharing your experiences with Dr. Angelov and Dr.Segal. It is reassuring to have good references before making such a big trip and I appreciate knowing how Dr.Segal works (2 appointments) as I will have to factor that in if I make the trip.
It was in fact Dr. Segal's chapter in The Divided Mind that made me want to see her - I could relate so well to what she was saying. I am still trying to decide whether to see a TMS doctor or go ahead on my own.
Thanks again,
Debbie.
Go to Top of Page

Bat Ears

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  19:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just some travel info: Dr. Segal is easy to get to if you fly into Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Just take the Metro train (Blue Line) directly from the airport to Foggy Bottom, and the Center for Integrative Medicine is only about a block away.
Go to Top of Page

celloLWF

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  21:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a friend who visited Dr. Leonard-Segal and that friend provided me with the notes of her visit. Based on the notes I read and the friends subsequent recovery, I can recommend her. I may see her sometime myself (although the books seems to do the trick).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000