TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Questions to provoke awareness of emotions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for some good questions to ask myself when I need to do some journaling or other kind of Sarno work. I have the Schechter workbook and I have my pressure list (which I should use more), but I wondered if others have questions that they have collected or that they usually ask themselves to get their feelings going. What started me thinking about collecting them was the list in this thread:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2086

Schechter's journal-days usually start with the question "What is going on with you emotionally today?" One other I remember is "What was the last time when you were really angry? What sensations do you feel when you are angry?"

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Armchairlinguist,

How did you come about your monnicker "Armchairlinguist"? I've been wondering about that.

Regards,
tt
Go to Top of Page

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  12:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a list I always keep with me:

Self-imposed and everyday pressures: Focus on the unconscious rage, pain and sadness.
-- Recognize current stress-creating situations (include "happy" ones). Be specific.
-- Identify those you can control and learn to handle them.
-- Learn to accept those you can't control (loss, aging, changes, dependency).

Feelings experienced in childhood: Recall specific situations, experience the feelings again.
-- Feeling abandoned > anxiety, pain, grief, dependency.
-- Feeling of inferiority > low self-esteem, lack of self-confidence.
-- Indifference from people close to us > feeling insignificant.
-- Injustice and unfairness > hurt, anger, sadness.
-- Father failing as role model > feeling inadequate, having self-doubt.
-- Unreasonable rules (home, school, society) > fear of being controlled.
-- Guilt, shame, humiliation > over self-critical, self loathing.
-- Physical and verbal abuse > feeling threatened when not in control or outside a safe environment, fear of people who have the power to hurt.
-- Passive/aggressive family > repressed anger.
-- Feeling unaccepted > rejection, isolation, feeling like a misfit.

Personality traits: Identify the sources of self-imposed pressure. Recall unpleasant events, experience feelings that are frightening, embarrassing, unbearable. Recognized the rage, sadness and pain that are frightening the unconscious.
-- Low self-esteem > need to hide and be protected behind a façade.
-- Difficulty handling social and intimate moments > fear of being inadequate, ridicule, rejected; ashamed to reveal private self; guilt when inadequate.
-- Giving up easily on relationships > fear becoming attached, hurt, abandoned.
-- Seeking recognition, respect, admiration > fear of being insignificant and inferior.
-- High and unreasonable expectations > self-imposed choice between success and failure.
-- Drive to achieve and excel, need to tackle new challenges > fear of failure, fear to face inner conflicts.
-- Difficulty handling disappointments > sense of failure, anger at the world.
-- Lack of support, understanding, soothing > over-anxious, easily worried, lonely, isolated.
-- Avoiding confrontation, striving to be the peacemaker, to be good > fear to disappoint and hurt and be hurt.

Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  12:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shari, thanks! Those are great.

tt, it is a phrase one of my professors used to describe linguists who sit at home and think in order to make conclusions about language, instead of going out into the world to look at real data. I am not such a one, but I love the phrase; it's very descriptive.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  12:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WWICD ... what would my inner child do? I ask myself this thru out the day if I feel tense or anxious for unknown reason. This has made me realize how many times I'm rising to others' needs of me, rather than my own. Hey, that's life, but know I'm conscious of it, somehow I'm giving myself the bigger piece of cake a little more often.

>|<Pen

Non illigitamus carborundum.
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  13:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post Shari. Very insighful.
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  14:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for typing that in Shari, its very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Dagnabit

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  06:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a list of questions:

http://www.emoclear53380.yuku.com/reply/2417/t/Excavating-buried-emotions-with-Emotional-Writing-Process.html#reply-2417
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000