TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Levator Ani Syndrome and Rectal Tightness, Spasms?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  10:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought I would post a quick update...

Yesterday I finally visited with Dr. Rochelle. He is a TMS doc and has written an chapter in The Divided Mind. I was a nervous wreck all day even before seeing him. My whole life is becoming consumed with anxiety and depression anymore, along with the pelvic pain. Right now I'm not on any meds for anxiety or depression and I really don't want to take them...but I may have too. Having such bad anxiety and a "no desire" feeling in life is horrible.

Anyway, he did think it was TMS. He pushed on several muscle groups on my body and some where sensitive or tender...another sign of TMS. The rest of the info was the same info you can find in the books on journaling and how rage works subconsciously.

Right now the scariest part is the chronic anxiety and depression...and just getting back the energy and motivation to want to enjoy life again. I still struggle with accepting TMS 100% for some reason.

I think John here is making good progress for sure. I will try to post more often as I progress so hopefully I can beat this thing and it will help others. I really admire Carolyn on here...she doesn't post often, but she beat levator ani syndrome as TMS...so that does help me.

Go to Top of Page

Janet

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  17:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that there is still someone here that has the levator ani syndrome. I am dealing with it again after about 17 years of being able to manage it. The pain level is like you said Paul where it's all consuming and you can't forget about it for one minute.

Right now I am in constant pain from the spasms during the day. The only time for me when I'm not in as much pain is when I'm laying in bed for a number of hours.

I'm wondering if it could be stress related since I've lost my job and I'm also dealing with frozen shoulder in the last month. I've tried the tens unit I was given years ago and the exercise I was given years ago and nothing is helping. I've now tried 3 different muscle spasm medications and it's done nothing at all.

I am wondering if anyone here has had any success with anything. I'm also walking a lot to see if that will loosen me up but that's not helping either.

Thanks so much

Janet Cull
Go to Top of Page

SB57

5 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  18:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Janet,

Yes I've got the exact same problem as you and what Paul described. A very significant pain that is at its worst when I'm sitting. I don't seem to have a problem when I'm sleeping, only when I'm sitting more than 30 minutes or more and when I try to walk/hike more than a short distance.

I went to a colon/rectal surgeon 7 months ago who treated me with an IRC procedure twice over 2 months, after that gave me a prescription for some compounding cream, then a prescription for Canasa, then some other steriodal cream. I've had a colonoscopy and an MRI and all came back negative.

He said the pelvic muscles are very, very tight. He had no other suggestions other than a chronic pain medication which I was suppose to take before bed time. I never filled it, I have zero problem sleeping and got very depressed thinking this pain would never get fixed. I've had no life for the past year, I hate going to work, I can't even go out because sitting is so difficult and I dread having to put my rear in a chair.

After much research I did my own diagnosis of Levator Syndrome, I bought a book by Amy Stein called Heal Pelvic Pain. It's extremely informative about all sorts of disorders of that area of the body and it gives great advice on how to cure these ailments with specific pelvic exercises, relaxation and diet (although my diet is excellent). I got this book only 2 weeks ago so I can't say it's cured my issue but I do feel some progress has been made.

I was also very interested in what others have said about using the TMS approach by Dr. Sarno. I Googled an interview by him done by 20/20 a while back and it was very informative. I truly believe the cure for this is two fold. Fix the pain by curative measures (stretching and excercising the muscles in Amy Stein's book) but also curing the cause. I'm a very wound up person who is under lots of stress. I'm a person who internalizes my issues and I think over time this has caused problems which is now giving me major pain.

Medical doctors deal with issues by scapel and pills, they are not equiped to deal with root causes of human issues. Most of us with this have no medical alternatives to fix this so it's up to our own bodies to fix this. I've very sceptical by nature but have opened my eyes to cause and effect answers. I truly think my approach mentioned above will be the best course (if not the only course left) to fix this problem. I've got no medical alternatives other than to cure this thing on my own.

Edited by - SB57 on 04/15/2010 08:03:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  15:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SB57
I truly believe the cure for this is two fold. Fix the pain by curative measures (stretching and excercising the muscles in Amy Stein's book) but also curing the cause.

Is this something you believe or something that has worked for you?

Note that according to Dr. Sarno's theory, there is nothing to "fix" and treating the pain as a structural problem is counterproductive to recovery. It is important to accept the pain has a psychological origin.

It is certainly a good idea to stay fit and healthy, and exercise should be a part of everybody's day. However, there is a difference between exercising for overall health and exercising to "fix" a problem.
Go to Top of Page

SB57

5 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  09:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

quote:
I truly believe the cure for this is two fold. Fix the pain by curative measures (stretching and excercising the muscles in Amy Stein's book) but also curing the cause.

Is this something you believe or something that has worked for you?

Note that according to Dr. Sarno's theory, there is nothing to "fix" and treating the pain as a structural problem is counterproductive to recovery. It is important to accept the pain has a psychological origin.

It is certainly a good idea to stay fit and healthy, and exercise should be a part of everybody's day. However, there is a difference between exercising for overall health and exercising to "fix" a problem.

I just bought Dr. Sarno's book two days ago so honestly I can't give feedback on whether his method has worked for me. I have used Amy Stein's method for about 2 weeks (stretching, deep PF breathing, meditation) and I have seen some positive results.

The approach I am taking is to stretch the back and pelvic floor muscles because I'm getting results and stretching and other excercising simply is a good thing. Especially for someone like me who sits on their rear for a living.

If mentally I feel my approaches are beneficial, then I think hope and not dispair will go a long way to curing my LA problem. Again this is w/o yet fully reading Sarno's work.

I plan to post an update on this site at a future date, good, bad or indifferent.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  09:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After having this for over 12+ years, having all the tests, doing trigger point injections, doing stretching and PT, and going back and forth on "Is it TMS or is it a physical thing I need PT to help heal it"...I'm starting to think it is truly TMS.

Here is why...

**PT and stretching (the approaches in Amy Stein's book and also, "A Headache in the Pelvis) only seemed to be temporary.

**Bottomline, the muscles are tense. Getting to the core of it and why is key I believe. Why try to put out the fire when you have not cut off the gas line?

**I've found more people beat Levator Ani Syndrome with the mind-body approach than any other method. Do a search for it on here, and look at Carolyn's posts in particular. It's a goldmine of info.

**I truly believe now if there is nothing found to be wrong in the body except "tight" muscles, than it is 99.9% TMS and mind-body related.

Here is a great book on how to approach TMS as well, it is called, "Pain Free For Life" by Scott Brady.

What I am now doing...

*Journaling, allowing myself to feel emotions (not "trying to), and most of all, OVERRIDING my subconscious with my conscious by using pain talk. It is, the subconsious, at the heart of the tension anyway.

Go to Top of Page

elle80

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  15:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been diagnosed with Levator Syndrome about 3 year ago. Like many here i am consumed by the pain. I have seen tons of MD's PT and with no help. The only thing that does help a little are botox shots but once they run out there is my pain in the butt, litterally.
I have bought and am reading Dr. Sarno's book "The mindbody prescription". Haven't gotten to the part on how to treat this pain, which i do think is TMS, b/c while on my Honeymoon the pain was not completely gone but not that bad.
Can anybody tell me what I should do to get started on this therapy. The book is really intresting but I sometimes don't have the time to sit and read.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  08:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I still have this. Lately, it has been really bad. :( I've been adding more meditation to my daily routine and so I don't know if this is part of the increase in pain.

What really scares me is how BAD the rectal tightness and spasm/pain has been...and when I have a bowel movement.

This morning I went and got that sharp pain in my rectum and felt faint. It is really scary. :( I know it is because all those muscles are super tight and it triggers a Vasovagal reaction.

Anyone else deal with Vasovagal response before? It is scary as heck!
Go to Top of Page

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  14:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found John Bradys book real good also. He went through a lot, and is now better.
Go to Top of Page

walnut864

94 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2010 :  14:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to get this. It got better slowly after I realized I was always holding those muscles very tightly. I recognized that I never relaxed my muscle that controls my anus. I would conciously stop throughout the day and make sure that I was not tightening those muscles.
I used to get severe stinging and stabbing and spasms in the levator ani and sometimes pain in my urethra which I believe to be due to tightened muscles.

I cured my TMJ the same way over a year ago.
I had TMJ from my mid teenage years all the way to a lil over a year ago.
I have very severe TMJ at times that would cause my jaw to lockup, it popped EVERYTIME I chewed and once it got so bad that the neck muscles that connect to my jaw and the muscles in my chest that connect to my neck muscle felt very strange and I went to the E.R. and was told I had severe TMJ.

I started paying attention to how I was holding my face through out the day. I noticed that I always had a grimmace look, eye brows tight, and clinched jaw. I did random checks throughout the day for tightened facial muscles and within a few eeks I no longer had TMJ that I had suffered with for many years. I still do not have any symtom at all of TMJ!
Go to Top of Page

SB57

5 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  11:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Walnut,

Curious, just about how long did it take for you to cure your levator issue? I've read enough about TMS and MBS and I'm realizing I do the same thing.... I'm always clenching. Problem gets worse through the day when I'm sitting as well. I'm trying my best to take deep breaths and relax the pelvic part of my body. It's odd, I can be standing, talking to someone and feel fine, then bam, it comes on and starts to feel bad.

Sometimes the pain is slight, sometimes it's severe. I've restricted so much of a normal life this past year, the situation is getting very depressing.

I feel it's getting a little better as each month goes by but then I feel I have days where I take a number of steps back in the wrong direction so I'm trying to piece together why it hurts some days and others it's not as bad.

That's why I ask, about how long did you have your levator issue and about how long did your focus on relaxing the pelvic area help to improve the situation?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jayne

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  15:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. I'm brand new here and I only first heard of TMS yesterday. I had googled Levator Ani and it directed me to this forum.

I've been in pain for 17 months. At first just my tail bone hurt and then after about 10 days I had severe rectal pain and burning as well. My sacrum was way out of line as well (sacral torsion) and no doctor can tell me what happened first. I've also had a weird vibration on and off in the pelvic area and rectum. I've been in PT for nearly a year and I've been in a sacral brace 24/7 for almost 9 months. I can function now but was unable to handle life a year ago. Doctors say they are stumped... and tests show nothing. My
PT says it all makes sense to her given that the tailbone is off of the sacrum and the pelvic floor attaches to the tailbone. She beleives I have Levator Ani Syndrome that either caused sacral torsion or vice versa. My tailbone is deformed and looks broken on an x-ray but is not. I have always had anxiety and I know this is playing a big part in this. In fact anxiety has affectd me since childhood.

I've been reading as much as I can on this forum today and will order Dr. Sarno's book and possibly some of the others that I've read about on this forum. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. I've been fairly desperate.

Thanks so much,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

walnut864

94 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  17:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Walnut,

Curious, just about how long did it take for you to cure your levator issue? I've read enough about TMS and MBS and I'm realizing I do the same thing.... I'm always clenching. Problem gets worse through the day when I'm sitting as well. I'm trying my best to take deep breaths and relax the pelvic part of my body. It's odd, I can be standing, talking to someone and feel fine, then bam, it comes on and starts to feel bad.

Sometimes the pain is slight, sometimes it's severe. I've restricted so much of a normal life this past year, the situation is getting very depressing.

I feel it's getting a little better as each month goes by but then I feel I have days where I take a number of steps back in the wrong direction so I'm trying to piece together why it hurts some days and others it's not as bad.

That's why I ask, about how long did you have your levator issue and about how long did your focus on relaxing the pelvic area help to improve the situation?

Thanks

Im not sure how long it took. It was maybe a month or two. I would have severe sharp stinging spasms in the levator ani.
I seen I would be holding that muscle tight when I was standing. I was always clenching that muscle very tightly but I was not aware that I was doing it. When I became aware of it I began to conciously make myself relax that muscle. I was basically retraining my mind to NOT clench that muscle all the time.
The clenching I speak of is best described by the saying, "that'll make your butthole pucker up!" LOL, sorry if that too graphic but alot of people "pucker" while experiencing something overly exciting to the nervous system such as a roller coaster ride or any situation that is frightening.

During the time I had the pains in that area I would also experience random stinging pains in the urethra. I havent experienced it in quite some time but now that it has been brought to my attention I will not be suprised if my mind tries to use that symptom on me again. Oh well, I'll have a good laugh it it does!
Go to Top of Page

Om Sharma

India
17 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  09:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In very starting of my efforts to diagnosis this problem , I had gotten a lot of information from this forum so now it is my duty to share my experience with you.
I belong to a small town from India, I had hemorrhoid dectomy in April 2014 and since then I am continuously suffering from terrible constant rectal pain and extreme straining bowel movement . Sitting, walking, Everythig became impossible for me. Every time, every Dr. Declaired it notthing except mere constipation. I lost all hopes in my life.
Then I determined to diagnosis and to cure this problem myself own. After to much hunting efforts , at last I come to knew that I am a victim of Levator ani syndrome and I was not alone and unique . it is almost an incurable disorder.j
I read a lot of about this syndrome on the net and dr. Sarno. I tried almost every remedy/therepy suggested by anyone but all in vain, the results were only temporary.
Then by co-incident I come in touch with homoepathy treatment and rest is rest now.
I asure everyone, one who is suffering from this levator ani syndrome or the rectal spasm problem, must seek some expert homeopath and got proper treatment . Homeopathy definitely cures it from its root level permanently.
It is absolutely efficient and almost cost for nothing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000