TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 voice and eye problems: part of TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

erdogmush

3 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  13:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember someone (can't relocate the post) mention vocal chord problems, which I had started having after using voice recognition software during an acute episode of RSI. I had various diagnoses as tension dysphonia, vocal fatigue, and larygeal reflux (acid reflux spilling into larynx). I suspect that this is part of TMS since I experience onset of symptoms (sore throat, hoarseness, difficulty with speech, quick vocal fatigue) particularly when I am under stress and when I anticipate it.

I also have eye pain that comes and goes. I was told by my optometrist that I have very dry eyes, and am using lubricant drops several times during the day, but I am wondering whether this could also be part of TMS. Has anyone heard of eye pain related to TMS?

Hakan

Ensoul

7 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  13:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read two or Dr. Sarno's books and he didn't mention anything about the eyes and TMS that I remember.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  13:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that just about any symptom can be TMS, regardless of whether or not it is specifically mentioned by Dr. Sarno.

Once you rule out any serious illness or disease by discussing your symptoms with your doctor, then you can safely ignore those symptoms, which coincidentally is the first step in treating TMS. It cannot hurt to consider those symptoms TMS. If the technique works, then you will have confirmation.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  16:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard of eye pain and TMS but then again, like Dave says, anything is possible. I personally have tinnitus from time to time. They say it can be from TMJ and grinding your teeth. I was diagnosed with TMJ and I grind my teeth due to stress. Lately, I'm noticing that nearly every day, for just a few seconds, I hear a ringing in either one or the other. Now that I'm really noticing it, I seem to be dwelling on it. Sarno does talk about tinnitus and I know it's TMS. My point is, if TMS can affect the ears than I don't see why it couldn't affect the eyes. My TMS doctor, David Schecter, M.D., says that there are probably other disorders or physical symptoms that have yet to be discovered that are caused by TMS. I was told once I had dry eyes and they wanted to do some procedure on me but I declined. My eyes are fine now. I was just using them a lot (typing for a doctor) and they were irritated. You need to take all things into consideration. But never rule out TMS!
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  17:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi erdogmush

Yes I am probably the one who mentioned getting muscle tension dysphonia symptoms on my vocal cord muscles. It was(well, my brain wanted me to think) as a result of using voice recognition at work, because I had RSI symptoms. It actually took me about eight months before I got symptoms in my vocal cords...
anyway, after accepting TMS I have had very little 'serious' pain repercussions with my voice . it does often get dry and sore but not nearly as bad as it was initially.

My voice pain is the best at demonstrating that psychological is the cause of such pain.
Because it can be really really sore from doing some voice recognition about work or something I don't enjoy. And then a friend, I actually like turns up and we have a conversation I really enjoy, and hey presto

all pain is gone!

It is the most dynamic pain, I have comes and goes depending whether the talking . I'm doing is stressful or enjoyable...

Not sure about your eyes, But they have a direct connection to your brain, so it wouldn't be surprising...
Go to Top of Page

erdogmush

3 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  13:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm,

This is quite interesting. I have a profile very similar to yours (looking at your history, I'd say almost identical). I also agree with the pattern regarding onset of pain for the throat symptoms.

I had a bad episode of multiple symptoms about 6 yrs ago, followed by a virtually pain-free and very active period which lasted 4 yrs, and a flare up that started a year ago and still continuing. But I did not know about TMS then although I managed to get out of the cycle by diligently increasing physical activity (I think, I am not sure, I did try so many things concurrently). I'm still reading about TMS and finding the patterns described to be consistent with my experience. But I am afraid of over-generalizing it to everything - I mean there must be things out there, including some painful conditions, that are not TMS.

Any way, thanks for your reply.

Hakan
Go to Top of Page

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  07:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would bet my bottom dollar the dry-eye and eye pain are TMS. I have suffered from a garden variety of TMS symptoms, many of which are located in the head area, such as TMJ, burning mouth, bruxism and tension headache. I've also had eye pain/dry eye/eye twitching come and go during bad episodes.

Also you may recall that Howard Stern is one of Dr. Sarno's better known patients. A little while back, I'd say in the mid to late 90s and years after he was "cured" of his terrible back pain by Dr. Sarno's book, I remember him complaining almost every day on the radio that he had this strange eye pain - sort of in the back of his head - that mystified his doctor. He must have eventually realized that it was TMS because it finally went away.

I guess the lesson is that TMS can take virtually and shape or form as long as it accomplishes its mission to distract you.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  08:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve- just to let you know about my dry eye experience. I have had various tms head problems in the past. I wear contacts and have done so for about 4 years with no problems. I got some new ones a few months ago and a few days later I had the worst dry eye you can imagine. I had to put drops in every hour or everything blurred out. Then I remembered reading something on this board about it, it might have been your post Steve, and I realized it was just good old tms. My dry eye left the next day and it hasn't bothered me since.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  09:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, glad to hear someone else on the board is a fan of the "King of All Media", Howard Stern. I have a copy of a TV debate on the Allan King show of Howard passionately extolling the Good Doctor's virtues in a debate with O.J.'s ex-attorney, Robert Shapiro. Shapiro looked really stiff and couldn't accept Sarno. He talked about having to be careful bending over to pick up his briefcase. (I think his back-pain probably stems from worrying about going to hell for his part in getting OJ off).

I'm re-watching the debate on which Dr. Sarno appears along with a back surgeon, and a producer for the Rosie O'Donnell show, who had been in a wheel-chair until being cured after seeing Dr. Sarno.
Howard also devotes a chapter of his book MISS AMERICA to Dr. Sarno.

I also purchased a copy of John Stossel's, ABC 20/20 feature on DR. Sarno. Stossel's brother is a doctor who has back problems and stated that Sarno's cure was "rediculous" but had to bag on the show because he had serious back pain and was in traction.

I'm re-watching the two shows while doing this post and they're great! I'll see if there is some way I can link them to the site.

Steve, don't you think there should be something like "parental contol" on TV, so that Howard Stern's show could not be viewed by women?-it's definitely a guy thing.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  12:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom- Where did you get the videos? I have always wanted to see the Stossel piece.
Go to Top of Page

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  20:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susie - glad I can help! I realize what a pain dry-eye can be...obsessions with eyes and vision can be as distracting as any other TMS symptom in my experience.

Tom - Ironically, if it wasn't for listening to Howard I may have never found Dr. Sarno. For years, I remember him praising this Dr. Sarno guy for curing him of his back pain. When I first "injured" my shoulder in 1997 and the pain didn't go away - in fact, it got worse - after many months, I remembered what Howard said and bought HBP and saw Sarno in person. So I owe any and all pain-free moments to both Dr. Sarno and Howard!!

Tom, now you are going to have to subscribe to Sirius radio for $13 a month to hear him after he announced he's leaving infinity. Just an FYI.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000