TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Back yourself out of the rabbit hole
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  06:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A recent topic was discussing the point that recovery from TMS seems to be a reversal process, whereby we get more and more in touch with our feelings, letting things come to surface (often in the form of anxiety or anger), and thereby work backwards along the path which caused the symptoms itself...

Physical symptoms -> Confrontation of repression -> Emotional responsiveness and awareness -> Regained health

I have noticed my emotional responsiveness greatly improve and my habits of repression dying down, which is a good sign. Now when I'm frustrated or annoyed with life I *do* scream out "OH FOR F!!KS SAKE!!" and let myself feel the anger inside. Afterwards I always feel better.

As well as growing emotional responsiveness though, I feel a growing physical responsiveness in my symptoms. I have not heard this discussed anywhere yet, but here is my experience...

As my TMS heals (and its form is constant tension headaches and "RSI" pains in the arm) I notice the time between a negative feeling occurring and the physical symptom manifesting ever shortening.

Now initially there was no connection there. My symptoms were constant, so we might say in effect that the reaction time of my symptoms was infinite. From this point though, it has started to lesson into finite and noticable lengths of time.

Initially I would notice some relief from symptoms the day after doing some journalling. Once this became regular, I had a little leeway too play with - times in my day when my symptoms had receded to a noticable degree. With this leeway comes the ability to respond to my emotional state, so I would lose the progress I'd made temporarily if I got stressed or repressed anger.

At first the link between physical symptoms and emotional state was fuzzy and unreliable, but now I find my body is sending me physical "signals" of emotional repression within 30 mins or so. Sometimes a particularly bad situation can worsen symptoms immediately.

I see this as the strengthening of a dialogue between my body and my mind. My body agrees to let me know when I'm using my mind in the wrong way, and rewards me by backing the symptoms off.

As the dialogue strengthens, the reaction time shortens. So I see the ultimate state of "being healed" as a reduction from infinitely large response time (ie. symptoms 24/7) to infinitely small (ie. zero symptoms) via ever lessening degrees (ever clearer, quicker and less severe response of my body to emotional stress)

I find it also very healing to just sit with my symptoms when they come on. Feel them. Live in them, and then ask them "what is your message?", for surely each symptom carries its own message that you are emotionally abusing/denying yourself in that moment.

Hope this helps folk.

greg.

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  07:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with feeling my feelings and letting them out. They do go away once felt. Dr. Sarno's study guide mentions the things that annoy us (or anger us) and we cannot express it for whatever reason. Brings to mind work situations where people really annoy me so I go to my desk and write it out, then shred it. Then the feeling is gone. Has happened already today! LOL

Thanks for your posting. I like that it's a reversal process!

Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  08:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks floorten, I copied this out to send to my mom!

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

HelenB

17 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  09:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
floorten, thanks. Very Helpful comments. My TMS isn't so measurable, but maybe because I still have more common symptoms.

I will try what you suggested, Helen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000