TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Chicago...calling Chicago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  19:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you around?

chicago

85 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still here, however I check this forum only every couple of weeks
Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there~

I could be the female version of you plus or minus a few details. I read all your posts b/c they came up when I did a search on feet. I wanted to see how you currently are feeling and tell you that I was floored to see SUCH similar details to my own story.
My husband couldn't believe another version existed.

Go to Top of Page

chicago

85 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  20:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi cfhunter,

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with foot pain. I have found this forum very helpful however as my condition has improved I have been checking in here less and less. My burning pain began over ten years ago, at the same time my first born came into this world. At the time I didn't make the connection. I have gone through several stages and not necessarily in order.

SEARCHING FOR A PHYSICAL/MEDICAL ANSWER, BLAMING MYSELF MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING I COULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY AND I WOULDN'T HAVE THIS PAIN, TRYING ALL KINDS OF THERAPHY, READING DR. SARNO AND PUTTING IT ASIDE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS, STARTING TO BELEIVE THERE MAY BE AN EMOTIONAL CAUSE, DOUBT AGAIN IT MUST BE PHYSICAL, THERE MUST BE A MAGIC CURE, ANGER, ACCEPTANCE OF TMS

I have my bad days but things are alot better. I now have hope and enjoy life. What has been most difficult has been getting to the point of really applying and internalizing Sarno's message. At first I read and tried to accept. But only till I got the point of internalizing the message did I improve. Hopefully some of this strikes a cord with you.
Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  12:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had burning foot pain off and on for 7 years now and it started when I was moving, relocating my office and getting married. I got home from the honeymoon and BAM...feet have been a mess ever since.
I feel okay most of the time as it comes and goes and I know there is relief around the corner on the bad days...
Does anything in particular work for you?
If you don't feel like talking about it for fear of bringing something up I totally understand.
I am just curious as so few people on here talk of the foot aspect of this.
thank you for your time...i am so glad life is good!
Go to Top of Page

chicago

85 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  13:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

I find journalling, re-reading helpful posts, any of the books on TMS, and trying not to get too fearful helpful. However it has not been easy. I find that fearful and/or anxious thoughts can set it off and its hard to re-group. I also found myself putting alot of weight on what doctors would tell me. I have had various DX and each one took me down a different road. Its difficult thinking psy when your in physical pain. Its difficult getting rid of the doubt that its physical and not psy, especially when a doctor has given you a physical Dx. Have you had various dx? and if so how have you come to believe that it may be TMS?

Thanks,

Chicago

Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  18:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again you sound like me. Those are the things I do too as well as practice meditation. THAT is definitely a work in progress and it takes practice.
I have been diagnosed with fibro., neuropathy, plantar fasciitis, possible MS (had brain MRI test negative),there's so much more.
13 doctors later and in 2004 I quit searching until recently when I felt too much time had passed and I needed a "reality check" so I went back to the doc. I found TMS through "starting my search again" and it just reminded me of me to a TEE. Personality type, constant searching for answers with NO positive diagnosis that made sense, symptoms returning and going waay (left completely when I was pregnant go figure).
so our journeys seem similar and I was (no offense here) relieved to find a story of someone so familiar but sadened that someone else was suffering such a frustrating journey as well.
Go to Top of Page

chicago

85 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  20:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your right, I have been dx at one time another with each one of the dx you mentioned. In fact every time I started searching out a new doctor my pain would get worse right up to the appointment. During the apt. I would have no symtoms. It was like I took a big exhale saying ok I'm here I'll be ok. What I've decided to do is not follow traditional therapies (medications, PT, vitamins, ultrasound, chriopractors etc) and I've gotten better. In the past I would not have looked at alternative therapies such as meditation, yoga, hypno. etc.but when your in pain you try everything to feel better. The alternative therapies have been much more helpful. I have gotten 90% better but what frustrates me is that I still get pain. But its just this typre of thinking that gets me in trouble. I have to force myself when I'm in pain to think of what might be on my mind. Its a long road. I know I'm getting better however it gets very frustrating when your at a family event and your in pain. Besides Sarno's books I have read several others. One book that I keep going back to is called the Anxiety Cure written by a doctor and his two daughters one a social worker and the other a psych. Hang in there. I'm glad we were able to share experiences. Sometimes it does feel that no one quite understands or knows how it feels to have this kind of pain. It really does have an impact not only on oneself but also those we live and work with.

Chicago
Go to Top of Page

chicago

85 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  20:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just re-read these replys and one thing hit me and that was something you said, "no positive Dx that made sense, symptoms returning and going away." I had some positive dx, example neuropathy based on a very subjective test. It took me years to realize that this dx did not make sense. Its when there's pain doubt might creep in. I think thats the time to be in touch with the real cause however it is also the most difficult time to accept TMS. The pain is very real and I think we are conditioned to think physical.

Chicago
Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  07:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I did he exact same thing when I would see a new docotr years ago...I would walk in and the doc would say "Where does it bother you?"
I would try to feel the pain...and be like..."ummm as I sit here it's not bothering me!!"
Kind of like a big sigh of relief would come over me when I walked in the office.
But the difference with me was that the minute I made the appointment my pain would decrease. I had no anxiety waiting for the appt. Just relief to have it.
I couldn't agree more about "thinking physical". I was telling my husband the other night that I have been in pain for so long that I almost don't know ANY other way of thinking except about my feet. "How are my feet today?" is one thought that goes through my head within minutes of being up. I realize that I don't feel one bit of pain until I start thinking about it and focusing on it.
It's ridiculous! I definitely talk to my pain in my head saying thinkgs like "Thanks for letting me know that I need to stay in this minute...you can leave now. I don't need you."
And have felt it slip away on occasion.
It also happens like clockwork at night. I can have a completely pain free day and the minute I get in bed with a book...burning starts. I think it's because THAT was when it used to bother me most when it first started and my brain has conditioned me to start the pain at that moment.
TMS makes sense to me also b/c of WHO I am-obsessive about my health, perfectionistic, Type A, people pleaser (heck I volunteer for 3 different animal welfare organizations) etc.
I will look up the book you recommend when I go to he library next week. Monte Heuftle's book and phone consult helped me a lot too.
It's the "fear" that I need to overcome...that nothing is seriously wrong with me. That I am "normal". My doc Thursday looked me in the eye and said "You have two NORMAL feet. Call me if you need another reality check."

Go to Top of Page

chicago

85 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  14:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again I can relate. The minute I got up I would ask myself how are my feet. I don't do that much anymore and I have no pain waking up but I do start having pain when I question and have anxiety. For example last night I went to a scouting event and even before I got there I was thinking about the last time I went and had pain. I was expecting it and sure enough it found me. I am sure most people on this forum can relate to fearing the pain and sure enough there it is. As far as doctors go it sounds like you give yourself permission to let go after you make an appointment whereas I would give my self permission when I got in the doctors office. Depending what I was told I would feel relief or more fear and pain afterwards. If I did feel relief it would be short lived. More or less a placebo effect. I try to go along with the flow and not think about it too much otherwise it can consume your thoughts. However that's easier said than done. The author of The Anxiety cure is Robert L. DuPont.

Chicago
Go to Top of Page

cfhunter

119 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  18:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it can consume your whole mind and I am not sure about you but in an instant my mood changes when I realize I am having a "spell" of pain.
It's ridiculous how it has had such a hold on me.
I am having a better time of the old foot pain...almost completely under control but now I have new stuff happening "like the symptom imperative" Sarno tlaks about. but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with does it?

Go to Top of Page

ABrooks

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  09:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chicago and cfshunter,
I just read your posts about your nerve foot pain and was wondering if you two could give me an update on how you're doing with it and what you did to get rid of it? I've had problems for 6 years now. My biggest current problems are related to my diagnoses of tarsal tunnel syndrome (TTS), plantar fascitis and achiles tendonitis in BOTH feet, as well as Fibromyalgia. However, I had one neurologist tell me that he didn't think it was TTS and that he thought it was more muskuloskeletal. I have tightness in my lower extremities (esp. calves and hamstrings) and bad burning pain in my feet and Achiles tendon. I've tried TMS approach from all my Sarno readings and research and have had some improvement over past few weeks but I think part of it has been just "ignoring" the pain because I think it won't harm me by doing so. Considering this, along with the bad tightness in my calves, hamgstrings and Achiles, etc. I can't help but wonder if it really is a legit "injury".

I'm also dealing with TMJ, acid reflux and bad anxiety/rage/anger/OCD issues. I also have history of pains and tensions in my arms, neck, back, and had cystitis for approx. 6 mos. many years ago. With all this being said, I really do think I have TMS but just tough when you're really trying and believing it's TMS and the pain is still relentless.

I have an appt. to see Dr. Martinez in Boston in a couple of weeks but would really appreciate your feedback and anyone else's. Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000