TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 Thanks to everyone who helped
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shary

147 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  09:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to thank all of you for the advice I've gotten on this forum. At this time, I'm about 90 percent back to normal. The other 10 percent is my frozen shoulder, which still doesn't work right but is starting to loosen up. Believe me, I'm grateful for every umpteenth of an inch more that I can move it today that I couldn't yesterday. I think what helped more than anything else was the assurance (that I never got from my doctor, who was pushing surgery) that frozen shoulder DOES GO AWAY.

When this TMS started to let go, it happened amazingly fast. Like overnight! So I must have done a few things right. I have to admit that the journey from being almost crippled to almost normal encompassed more than just reading Sarno. Using his theories as a solid basis, I read a lot of other stuff and learned a lot of things about myself that I knew I had to change, both for my own sake and for the sake of those close to me. To say that I was an impossible-to-live-with harpy crazed by excruciating pain would be putting it mildly.

I would like to point out here that I feel I really turned the corner when I finally got up the courage to GET OFF all pain relievers, muscle relaxants, etc., including the OTC stuff. I was afraid the pain would become intolerable, and guess what? It didn't. I had a couple of downturns, but they weren't nearly as bad as I was afraid they would be.

Yes, I went to my homeopath, who first encouraged me to start journaling as a way to address and dump repressed emotion. He gave me homework. I had to send him an email detailing all this dumped material. That email was so long it's a wonder it didn't overload his computer! Based on everything I told on him, which was a lot, he formulated a remedy. This was a one-time dose. Since I've continued to steadily improve, there hasn't been a need to take more. I can't say for sure that the remedy has helped my recovery. I think it has assisted my body's efforts to heal itself, which is what homeopathy does. I do know that this man's knowledge, patience and wisdom have helped tremendously.

In addition to reading everything I could find that I instinctively felt would be of help, and of course, haunting this website for whatever clues I could glean from the experiences of others, I went back to my Integrative Manual Therapy lady, a gentle soul with gentle hands, who is helping me regain movement in my shoulder. I realize this isn't pure Sarno-ization, but I never claimed to be a purist.

I will say, however, that Sarno's approach has been paramount to getting better. I learned the hard way that my mind and my body don't live on different planets. At times, before the TMS got so bad, I felt like a mind WITHOUT a body, or vice versa. Mostly I felt like a caregiver unentitled to a life. After weeks of introspection and looking in dark corners where scary things live--things I didn't always want to face--I finally reached a point of payoff. I started to get better.

I am confident I will achieve complete recovery very soon. The one thing I DON'T want is to ever go through this again. Knowing I am TMS prone, I will continue to Sarno-ize until the day I die.

I know this is lengthy, but maybe it will help someone else who is suffering with TMS and doesn't know what to do about it. Thanks again to all of you who have contributed in some way to this forum.

Edited by - Shary on 05/06/2007 10:11:05

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  10:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Shary,

You're another in an amazingly long line of TMS success stories. You've come so far in such a short time and can feel rightly proud.

Much the best,
A.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  11:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Awesome to read this, Shary! I am happy for your progress and thank you for the times you have helped me!
Hugs,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SuccessStory!

It's lovely to read of your recovery.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  17:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shary,

Your story is very encouraging. I find I relate to a lot of the comments you've made in various posts.

As for your shoulder, I think it will probably be better soon too. A year and a half ago I woke up one day unable to lift my left arm above my shoulder, for no apparent reason. It hurt to make even small movements. At the time I was still seeing a chiropractor and he told me there was nothing wrong--it just needed to be stretched. But stretching never really improved it at all. I'd already been losing faith in the chiropractor's ability to truly benefit me, so after that I stopped going. Got a card from him recently asking, "Where've you been?" The shoulder continued to be a problem even after I learned of TMS and got rid of some other symptoms, even though I really believed the shoulder was most likely TMS too. Then one day I woke up and the right shoulder was the same way. I said to myself "Oh no, this is not something I'm going to accept," and the right shoulder returned to normal that day. Finally, after about a year of pain and limited movement with my left shoulder, one day I woke up and it was normal again too. I think it was right after I had written something I'd known was true but had been reluctant to put into words.

Best wishes for continued improvement and thank you for the valuable input you've contributed to the forum.

Corey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000