TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Gone!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shary

147 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  10:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...totally, completely, 100 percent gone. After two long years of struggling with back, neck, shoulder and sciatic pain, I am finally painfree. I can do things, go places, exercise without fear, and not need 10 hours of sleep just to function.

The secret, at least for me, was to recognize I'd done all I could from a psychological standpoint, and that I needed to start being more PHYSICALLY proactive toward my own recovery. In that respect, I owe my thanks to a doctor who actually took the time to listen and to the anti-inflammatory drug he prescribed on a temporary basis. I hate taking drugs of any kind, but yes, there was a boatload of inflammation all over my upper body. If you have severely involuntarily contracted muscles over a long period of time, you are also going to have inflammation, even though it might not be visible to you. (This explained why I couldn't do even the easiest exercises without causing crippling pain. The anti-inflammatory agent allowed me to break the pain-motion-pain cycle I'd gotten bound up in.) I also received invaluable help from a Feldenkreis practitioner, a lady who does Cranial-Sacral work, and of course, from the writings of Sarno, who taught me to unload all the emotional baggage I'd been carrying around for a lot of years.

Most of all, I owe my recovery to the postings of Hillbilly, this website, for mentioning Hanna Somatics, which I'd never heard of. The Hanna book taught me that although the origin of my pain was psychological and/or trauma induced, nothing good (or lasting) would happen until I corrected the resulting physical problems; i.e., the screwed-up, crosswired input my tension-tight muscles were receiving from my brain. After beginning the somatics, recovery was rapid, including release of a frozen left shoulder.

I know there are those of you who will say I never had TMS in the first place. And you may be right. But if it wasn't TMS it was sure a dead ringer. I had all the symptoms and many of the equivalents. But in the course of finding daylight at the end of the tunnel, I found out that sometimes it isn't enough to think psychological.

To those of you out there reading this, you may very well have TMS. But sometimes, if symptoms are severe--or if you've gone through this more than once, as I did--it becomes necessary to PHYSICALLY address the physical aspects of psychologically induced pain.

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  11:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The end certainly justifies the means...Congrats on being pain free, regardless of how you got there. My best for your continued good health! - Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  11:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats to you for taking your body back!!!
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  14:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is fantastic. What anti-inflammatory worked for you?
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  15:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Shary - was just wondering what the name of the Hanna Somatics book that helped you?
Go to Top of Page

JaniceG

25 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  16:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your new pain-free life! You're all inspiration to us all to keep going!

JaniceG
Go to Top of Page

Shary

147 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  21:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skizzik and JohnD,
The name of the book is "Somatics, Reawakening the Mind's Control of Movement, Flexibility, and Health," written by Thomas Hanna. The name of the anti-inflammatory drug is Celebrex, which was under a cloud with the FDA for a while but never actually taken off the market. I wouldn't have been able to start the Hanna exercises without it.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  04:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shary,

I'm so pleased for you. Can I ask how much celebrex you were taking and how long you took it for?

Thanks

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala

Edited by - mala on 07/31/2007 04:19:17
Go to Top of Page

Shary

147 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  10:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala,
I took two 200 mg. capsules a day for a week or so, then dropped back to one a day for a while. As of a few days ago I no longer need it, probably because my muscles have freed up and begun to respond to movement and exercise. The doctor prescribed Celebrex for me because other drugs make me bleed, even the OTC stuff. Celebrex didn't do that.

This is what worked for me but everybody is different. Something else might be better for you. Try to give the Sarno system a fair chance first, if you can.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  14:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hanna Somatics = placebo. Sorry

Sarno-ize it!
Read chapter 4 of Dr. Sarno's "The Divided Mind." It's all you need to know in order to recover.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  14:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't anything about Hanna Somatics, but calling it a placebo may or may not be incorrect. What I'm saying is, what if Shary eliminated all her TMS pain, and then used a physical modality to improve her body, and therefore could also improve her mind which in turn improves her body...mindbody to bodymind and back to mindbody. Ok thats a mouthfull, but if there is a mindbody connection then whos to say there isn't a bodymind connection (which 99.9% or possibly 100% of medical/chiro/PT interventions aren't able to provide because they are based on falsehood). I mean after all, long before yoga and variations of it became a something you do at Bally's for 30 minutes on Wednesday, there were people who used it as a tool for enlightenment.

Now of course this goes a little beyond what people are coming to this website for, as most only need to learn the basic tms techniques to get what they need/want.

Not sure if anyone is following what I'm saying or even wants to and thats ok, but I think a quote that Wayne Dyer said sums up what I'm saying...."Have a Mind that is Open to Everything and Attached to Nothing"

Having said all that. Hanna Somatics is probably very well a placebo when it comes to TMS pain. But anyone who is well developed person knows that there are many facets to being a well developed person. Mental, emotional, spiritual and physical development are all necessary aspects of oneself to develop. Someone who develops all these aspects of herself doesn't need to rely on a TMS theory and swear off all physical modalities because they don't need to. They won't fall into a bottomless pit of pain, sort of like an alcoholic who has one drink and can't stop. They instead would just have an inner trust and knowing about what is helpful to them etc...

Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  15:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Shary--that's great news!

Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  16:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shary, I’m glad you’re better. Congrats!

quote:
(JohnD)if there is a mindbody connection then whos to say there isn't a bodymind connection

Agreed. I have several years’ experience of Alexander Technique, and it’s common for people who get a physical release to also experience a mental release at the same time. I think that’s what made it easy for me to believe Sarno’s book.

quote:
(Shawn) Hanna Somatics = placebo.

Having a bad day, Shawn?
Who cares if it’s placebo – as long as one is pain-free. If you mean that something else could pop up in its place – well, the same could be said of a TMS cure.

By the way, does anyone know why Hillbilly removed his posts? Seems a shame. But as long as he’s better, that’s the main thing.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  16:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

Hanna Somatics = placebo. Sorry

I love quotes like this from shawn, they make me crack up (i'm niether agreeing or not) like House's comments.

If it is a placebo effect, at least Shary knows it is/was absolutely TMS since she's no longer in pain.

Again, this is great news Shary. To me its a bummer there arn't more success stories here. I've gone back and read many of your posts from May and you were struggling but persistent, I'm happy for you!
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  09:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hilary,

Did you ever experience a shift in thinking/emotions etc... from a physical method?
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  12:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that techniques like Somatics, Feldenkrais, and Alexander, that work with the bodymind, can work well with Sarno's mindbody techniques. The conjunction of the two can be more powerful than either alone. Having done a lot of this kind of work when I was in pain, I noticed what HilaryN mentioned, which is that the two kinds of release/improvement tend to go together. Without the bodywork I did, I doubt I would have ever been in a state fit to start thinking about Sarno.

Some people work better in one direction, some in the other. No point in being too pure if it doesn't work.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

CrystalP

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  14:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to offer one word of caution about Celebrex. I was on 200 mg twice daily for about 6 months, then reduced the dosage to one per day for about 3 months until I finally stopped using the drug, mostly from fear of the increased risk for stroke and heart attack. I can honestly state that I do not feel any worse since I stopped using the drug, therefore I have to conclude that the drug was doing me no good and I didn't want the risk without the benefit. Celebrex, as with all other NSAID class of drugs comes with some pretty nasty side effects. Weigh the risk and the benefit carefully. As Shary says.. it worked for her without long-term use or dependency. Great news and congrats!
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  16:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarno purists are always maligned, especially on TMS boards. Having a great day!!!!

Sarno-ize it!
Read chapter 4 of Dr. Sarno's "The Divided Mind." It's all you need to know in order to recover.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  17:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn, you really seem to enjoy playing the part of the much-maligned, misunderstood purveyor of pure and complete TMS wisdom.

Give me a break. If anything, non-purists are are ones who are maligned on this board.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  19:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACL,

Totally agree about using both paths. My attitude is that we should open ourselves up to all avenues of improving ourselves and our health. I think some people especially TMS beginners need to be attached to the "physical exercise has no benefit except for general health" idea....and that is fine, its where some need to be. But for me, I don't just want to be tms free, I want to feel great in my body as well as my mind, and in order to feel great physically (which is different from being pain free) most people need some sort of physical modalities and interventions since we all have various kinks in our bodies
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  20:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by armchairlinguist

If anything, non-purists are are ones who are maligned on this board.

Yeah, tell that to Tennis Tom.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000