TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 oh no - it's back again!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  09:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like I am running a really steep upward battle. My back pain at night time (the new TMS location) really reduced after going to Sarno's panel discussion last week. Now - one week later after only a couple of days slacking off from reading and journalling - my back pain was excruciating last night. It spasms throughout the night and I wake up about 15 times. I have had a stressful week and am wondering if that has contributed. Maybe it is just that I have not been dilligent with the journalling and thinking. I have definitely found that seeing and hearing someone talk about TMS is more helpful to me than reading. I would love to get some DVDS (don't have a vcr)from Brady or Sopher - has anyone done this?
I really thought I was making progress. I also find that having a lot of positive things in my life sort of offsets the TMS pain - actually reduces it. I have been going to some wonderful social events through my church and my pain seemed to go down in response to prayer and socializing (interesting response to a spiritual componenent).
Anyway - I am back to the drawing board. For some reason, I don't find Sarno's book that engaging.

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  14:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Suz

I have had a stressful week and am wondering if that has contributed. Maybe it is just that I have not been dilligent with the journalling and thinking.

You answered your own question.

Perhaps the pressure of having to work to treat TMS causes rage in and of itself. Unconsciously you feel you should be doing more (i.e. journal, think psychological) and that too is a source of rage.

When we're under stress, it is easy to ignore the underlying emotions we really feel, because stress (i.e. anxiety) is a distraction itself.
Go to Top of Page

plainchant

41 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  15:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Suz,

I got Dr. Brady's tapes and workbook last Saturday (they are not available on DVD). The first tape deals with TMS and your body, the second with TMS and your mind, and the bonus tape has to do with spirituality. The tapes are not very long. Besides the spiritual component, there is no new information imparted by the tapes. However, I bought them because I was having a pretty persistent TMS flare up over the last month, and as I type this I am pain free. Dr. Brady has a very sincere and empathetic manner. He reminds me American writers from decades ago like Norman Vincent Peale and Dale Canegie whose Christianity positively radiated from them. His program involves a workbook which guides you to spend 30 minutes a day reflecting and journaling. I haven't followed the workbook at all yet (but I plan to if the pain comes back). My own journaling technique is to simply write down all those things that make me angry - whether in the past or the present.
Go to Top of Page

Toronto

25 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  19:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the name of those tapes? What is the full name of Dr.Brady?
Where can I get the tapes?
Go to Top of Page

plainchant

41 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  20:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just look for the Brady Institute listed on this very site:

http://www.tmshelp.com/books.htm

For those whose TMS alternates between pain and anxiety like mine, I also found Dr. Claire Weekes' book, "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" (which can also be found on the list) to be quite good. I felt that a lot of information in the book was compatible with TMS theory. For example, what Dr. Sarno calls "conditioning" is what Dr. Weekes called "sensitization". I found the book very helpful in dealing with my TMS anxiety.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  06:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plainchant,
I am considering buying a VCR just so I can get the tapes! For some reason, I find that listening and seeing someone talk about it is very effective. I am so glad it has helped you. I combine my treatment with a spiritual component as well (I happen to be christian too) and this helps me. I know that some people add meditation to their work
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000