TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 UFC fighter gets fused
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  11:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is Nate Quarry. He had a back fusion, and is rtng to fight this weekend.

Funny how he could barely walk to the sink in the morning, but the pain never bothered him in the fights.

Also, he was raised strict Jehova Witness, and escaped. From reading his web page about how he was raged (err..I mean raised), he must have scores repressed anger.

He has a daughter, not married I think, so there are issues there as well. He feels he does'nt fight for fun, rather to put food on the table.

If any of you are UFC fans, you'll know that Nate is different than other fighters. Intelligent, well spoken. You can see the perfectionistic tendencies, and need to be the voice of reason (if you saw the ultimate fighter reality show, he was the fair consoling type).

I just wish he had found Sarno. What pain syndrome will substitute? I gotta feeling it will be his back again since the doc warned him of so many risks.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=7867

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18219189

Edited by - skizzik on 09/18/2007 16:39:34

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  16:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good topic. It's funny, but another UFC fighter wrote to me a few weeks ago and declared an ongoing treatment resistant back problem. He thought the problem might be emotional and I tried to steer him in the right direction. I think he is on the right path now and I hope for his recovery. It is really difficult to be a competitive athlete with chronic pain...Best, Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  20:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UFC fan here,

I remember Tito Ortiz having a "bulged disc" issue. It's weird because I would watch the fights he was in soon after and his legwork/hip movement was pretty solid. I kept thinking while he was applying some long standing underhooks how he didn't wince or look worried about his back.

I know adrenaline can knock out a lot of pain, but he was pretty confident. There was a time when I was going through pain when I got in a scuffle with a dude and we went to the ground. Everything I knew kicked in, felt no pain, but as soon as I thought of the pain I let him go from a RNC I was applying to him, because I was "worried" of damage to my back.

But through the adrenaline I never even thought of the pain.

So question is, adrenaline or not having time to think about it?

I stopped a lot of my training because of my pain, and I'm about 20% of the strength I used to be. That's one of the things that has bothered me this whole trip, is my worry about self defense. But the pain goes away whenever I seem to have to use my knowledge.

Edited by - la_kevin on 09/18/2007 20:22:51
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  20:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it funny though how when you watch a UFC fight or some other MMA fight, you think of how all these guys never seem to have back problems and if they do it never seems to really affect their abilities. At least that's what I've always thought.

According to popular belief, these guys should have herniated and bulged discs up the yin yang. For instance Papa Gracie, he should have been in a wheelchair by his age. I'd love to see an MRI on that guy if conventional "wisdom" about age and disc wear and tear comes in to the pain principal.
Go to Top of Page

mikescott_98

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  13:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the fight last night on Spike; he knocked the other guy out. They described what surgery he went through (although they had audio problems) it looks like a rectangle shaped device replaced one of his disc or vertebrate. Is this the same thing as getting disc fused or a new/different process? Nate did say that he asked the doctor if this procedure could cause him to be paralyzed if he was dropped on his head, the doctor said no. Is there a real defect (not just the bulged or ruptured disk) that a doctor might have found originally that Nate might have been told "if you continue to fight without the surgery, you could be paralyzed". I agree it most likely is TMS, but are there injuries that if not fixed would cause paralysis.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000