TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 subconscious diverting away attention
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jcmailer

5 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  04:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite a few times recently I've noticed that if I'm walking along and a painful memory comes up (for example a shameful incident at school), my mind performs a quick diversion to take my attention away. For example I'll suddenly start whistling, or a poster I'm strolling across will take on some added importance and I'll start reading it. Only when I realize what's happening and I refuse my mind's invitation to think about something else can I confront the memory. Then I'll try to resolve what ever outstanding issue my inner-child feels is outstanding.

Happily the next time the memory arises, the mind is comfortable processing it head on without the need for this exercise.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the way of some literature about this pattern - does it have a name?

I'm presuming this 'mental' distraction technique is a precursor to the 'physical' distraction technique that is TMS.

Thanks.

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  08:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't had exactly this, but I've often been trying to hash through a childhood or past issue in my head, and then a few minutes later found I was thinking about what groceries I needed to buy later that day, having somehow gotten from one to the other mentally. I would imagine it's the same thing. I don't think there's really a name for it, but I guess the generic "defense mechanism" would fit.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000