TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS in eye
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fluffhead

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  22:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering--has anyone else ever experienced eye pain (with reading/watching tv), or vocal cord pain (with speaking) associated with TMS? For a while i've suffered with these symptoms (among more "normal" TMS symptoms), I'm wondering if anyone else has had atypical TMS symptoms, and what their experiences were. Btw, there is nothing physically wrong with my eye, but i do have a history of physical problems with my vocal cords (originated with a benign tumor), but the doc can't explain my persistent pain, despite treatment.

Thanks for your input!

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  23:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew someone who had what I am fairly sure was TMS in the form of eye pain -- he was a computer programmer unhappy with his job, and got the pain while working.

Vocal cords -- I don't know, but it sounds plausible. The clever brain likes to give us problems in areas where we had problems before.

--
It's not 100% belief that's required, but 100% commitment.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  01:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just going to post about my seeming success with "strabismus," which is double vision.

I started having it about 2 years ago, and when I was tired I couldn't drive without covering one eye. Often in the evenings if I was in a group of people, I would be seeing one person's head on top of another's body. Very odd.

Eventually I went for glasses, which I keep in my car. At my Xmas party an old friend who is an eye doc came and was asking me how my eyes are. I told him about the strabismus. He later e-mailed me encouraging me to come in and learn these eye exercises that cure it. I distinctly remember thinking "crap, it will just make it more of a "thing" " I think this amounted to a recognition that it was TMS and a decision not to take it seriously, or even give it any attention, beyond having the glasses in the car to stay safe if necessary.

Apparently it was TMS because it seems to be more or less gone.

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  01:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had a lot of bizarre, shifting stuff.

- Various strange OCD-like mental phenomena.
- Feeling like something's jammed in your throat.
- Needing to clear my throat every minute and a half.
- Bumpy, sore things on my tongue "taste bites"
- Lots of muscle twitches
- Cold feet and hands (I think that most of the time these are TMS) It literally feels like the blood stops pumping to my feet sometimes.

So yeah, many guises, same old tricks.

Author of tms-recovery.com
A collection of articles on emotions, lifestyle changes, and TMS theory.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  02:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes - that "lump-in-the-throat" thing. I went to the emergency room with that, years ago. It was SO real-feeling and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to breathe.

The doc said it was a common symptom of anxiety. As far as I remember, it was in the middle of lots of other TMS symptoms which went on for years. Why this symptom, that day?

I will also list some other things that TMS has manifested as:

Bladder sensitivity
Migraines
Back and shoulder pain
Double vision
Severe TMJ after major dental surgery (it was TMS because it went away suddenly after I refused to believe it for a week straight)
Wrist pain
Stomach ulcer
Other Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms
Eyes burning in morning
Dizzy
Extraordinary fatigue
Aching all over
Women's problems
Some others I'm too embarassed to mention...

Yikes!

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

Big Rob

32 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  07:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fluffhead

I'm wondering--has anyone else ever experienced eye pain (with reading/watching tv), or vocal cord pain (with speaking) associated with TMS? For a while i've suffered with these symptoms (among more "normal" TMS symptoms), I'm wondering if anyone else has had atypical TMS symptoms, and what their experiences were. Btw, there is nothing physically wrong with my eye, but i do have a history of physical problems with my vocal cords (originated with a benign tumor), but the doc can't explain my persistent pain, despite treatment.

Thanks for your input!

I had eye pain with OCD telling me to look at things the 'right way'.

Go to Top of Page

DrGUID

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  05:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes eye pain is to be expected, especially the tired eyes type of thing. But other eye problems could be TMS, as the eyes always seem to have a lot of small things going wrong with them (eyelash or dirt in them, slipped contact lens etc., burst blood vessel) and there's a lot of constant healing going on in them. Your body is bound to latch onto these activities at some stage.

Do get your eyes checked out by a decent opticians on an annual basis though, opticians can detect a lot of non-TMS illnesses in the early stages (my sister is an optician).
Go to Top of Page

electraglideman

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  12:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years ago I started having sharp pains in my eyes. Over the counter pain meds didn't help. I noticed my eyes were very sensitive to bright lights. I went to the eye Doctor and found out I had an eye infection. Got a script for eye drops that I used for two weeks and the pain vanished.

Have a MD check out your eyes before you assume its TMS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000