TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Sarno and "Real" Pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dor

67 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  07:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if any of Sarno's theories can help when pain is coming from a real source. After many tooth extractions and difficulty getting partials to work correctly, I have developed TMJ complete with pain and ringing in the ears. I have read Dr. Sarno's books and agree with his principles and findings. However, I would like to know if anyone has had success or help applying these principles when a real condition exists.

Thank you,

Dor

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  07:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If symptoms are caused by a real medical condition then they are not TMS.

How did you reach the conclusion that your dental work is responsible for TMJ?
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  09:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dor. What is your definition of a "real medical condition"? I am sure many on this board would tell you their condition is/was "real." I know my herniated disc was a "real medical condition" but it was not responsible for my pain. TMS was.

I do know someone (relative) who had really painful jaw problems and though she fought the mind aspect of it at first when I suggested reading Dr. Sarno's books, (saying her condition was "real"--so mine wasn't?) she has seen through hours of therapy that she is much better. Despite what xrays showed and docs recommended.

I do recall TMJ mentioned in Dr. Sarno's books as TMS or its equivalent. I also recall reading stories on this board of people who had dental pain/issues and it was also TMS.

Best wishes,

-Lori
Go to Top of Page

Dor

67 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  17:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew that my term of "real" would cause some problems, but I really did not know what other word to use. I, in no way, meant to suggest that the pain that people are feeling is not "real".

I reached my conclusion based on what I have been through during the last seven months and that the symptoms were not there before. If you read my previous post you will see what those symptoms are and how they have appeared post teeth extractions and ill fitting partials.

I agree that TMJ can be caused by TMS. However, given all of my dental history it is very difficult to lay it all on TMS.

Given that, no one has answered my question as to whether I can help control these symptoms with some of the TMS theories. Is it possible to say - Yes, I have TMJ due to legimate reasons, but I can choose to let them not affect my life? Or, are there reasons to feel the pain based on physical problems? I would like to think that the mind can help to control some of the pain, but would really like to hear from others who have had results. While I agree with much of what Dr. Sarno has to say, it still remains that I have lost a great number of teeth and that the pain/ear ringing is not just a result of repressed emotions. I am, however, curious to know if the mind can make those symptoms worse and if so, how to help in the relief of symptoms.

I am not here to argue the pros/cons of Dr. Sarno's theories, but rather to gain insight into the relief of symptoms due to a physical cause. Dr. Sarno suggests that many back problems, although "real" should not cause the degree of pain that most people experience. However, how does one look past the absence of teeth and the strain that that causes on muscles and joints? How can one merely think that that is just a TMS problem? And, again, how can TMS factor into the relief of pain? I totally accept that it is the lack of oxygen to the facial muscles that makes the pain worse, but how does one dismiss it as totally TMS?

Dor
Go to Top of Page

fourtrax

5 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  17:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work on your self imposed pressures. Pressures such as being perfect or good make us mad inside . Repressed rage is responsible for all TMS symptoms. Do not focus on the rage; find the reasons for the rage. Physically you have reduced blood flow to the effected areas.

Edited by - fourtrax on 03/04/2008 18:03:45
Go to Top of Page

Dor

67 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  19:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for responding. You are right to some extent. I am very angry that I have had to go through so much during the last seven months, especially after retiring and moving to a new area - none of which was easy. This was supposed to be our/my time. And yes, I am always trying to be the "good" girl, get through, not let anyone really see my pain. And, yes, I agree with the theory that I am indeed reducing blood flow to the area that has and is giving me the most problems. Yes, I am angry and I so appreciate you making me see that more clearly and answering in such a precise manner.

Dor
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  01:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had 16 teeth worked on, and it went wrong, and I had to have it done again. As I woke up from the 8 hour second surgery I was screaming in pain. And it went on for ... can't remember if it was weeks or months but I wrote about it here.

It was diagnosed as TMJ and it was definitely "real" - I couldn't survive without codeine in the evenings - I would be screaming.

However, as I wrote about here, I continually worked it like it WAS TMS. I kept saying to myself and other people "this is just my brain's new outlet for its issues." The climax came when I taught a weeklong seminar with this pain. I kept explaining that it was just my TMS. And I was doing the other work, like journaling, carrying on with my life etc. The day after the seminar the pain disappeared completely just like that and has never returned.

So I don't really know what "real" means any more.

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000