TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Attended Sarno's panel on Tuesday
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sborthwick

87 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  07:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

The panel discussion on Tuesday evening was fabulous. Sarno had 4 women telling their stories - all now without pain. 2 out of the 4 had gone through therapy. We had an opportunity to ask alot of questions. Something really stuck with me....Sarno said how part of the syndrome - distraction mechanism of the unconscious is to keep producing DOUBT in the cure. This doubt fuels the fear and keeps on trapped in the pain syndromes and TMS equivalents.

I asked if anxiety really is an equivalent. Sarno said ABSOLUTELY. He said the same of depression.

I have realized that there is no point in being scared of the anxiety .....that is part of the problem. I am ignoring it in the same way I do if my back flares up ...which it barely ever does now.

I have had 2 sessions with Sarno's therapist..both very eye opening. I have had the reaction of increased anxiety...horrible. I assume that is the brain causing more of a distraction. The problem is that it has made me really really oversensitive and I have had 2 big arguments with my boyfriend. I am worrying so much about every little detail of our relationship that it is not helping. I am hoping this will pass as I continue on in the therapy.

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are on the right track.

Consider anger towards your boyfriend and worry over the relationship as equivalent symptoms. It serves the same purpose -- to distract you. This is displaced anger that is likely covering up deeper feelings that your unconscious mind does not want you to experience. Getting angry over "little things" could be just a smokescreen covering up deeper feelings about the relationship. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the relationship, but with the way that the inner child perceives it.
Go to Top of Page

sborthwick

87 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. That really makes sense.

I am not too sure what I feel about the relationship. It is hard when one is blocked off from real feelings. I am extremely sensitive - big problem is when he teases me, I explode. I cannot take teasing at all....I guess because of low self esteem and perfectionist tendancies. He is actually quite funny and very affectionate.

It is also very difficult to ignore worrying about the relationship -I think that anxiety is a great distraction. I find myself obssessing over every detail of the relationship, which is exhausting and very debilitating.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  11:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anxiety is a much harder distraction for me to break out of than pain. I think it's because it's a more circular thing -- there's always more to worry about. Thinking about pain does wear itself out for a while before it comes back.

Since you are also struggling with anger I'm not sure whether one of the things I did would work for you, but I found that directing to anger helped break the cycle of worry. Another thing is to go further from the circularity of anxiety into the purity of fear. A lot of anxiety for me was a simple but deep fear covered up with lots of obsessing about how to try to control to avoid the feared thing. When you can go into the fear and stay in it, you stop needing to do the anxiety control to avoid it.

Maybe you should ask your boyfriend to stop teasing you for the time being, while you are working on things. You may want to get to the point where you can deal with it, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask him to temporarily stop doing something that you find intolerable right now.

--
It's not 100% belief that's required, but 100% commitment.
Go to Top of Page

AmyAJJ

98 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  13:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sborthwick -

Since you saw him recently, do you know if Dr. Sarno is taking on new patients?

Do you know of any other events or panels or groups that he's holding this spring or summer? Or a link to his calendar of events or something?
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  14:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, he holds lecture most Mondays, and a Forum (which is the meeting this string is about) once a month. These mtgs are for patients and their families. That's how it worked last year. You'd have to call his office to see if he's taking new patients. They require that you live in the tri-state area though (NY/NJ/CT). Once you've paid for your office visit, you can go to lectures/forums as you need to.

-Lori
Go to Top of Page

AmyAJJ

98 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  10:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lori. I don't live in the tri-state area. But I do have family up there. Wonder if it would count if I stayed with them for a little bit. Anyway, I'm also thinking about doing Schubiner's course if seeing Sarno isn't an option.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000