TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New to the forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jackmac

3 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  18:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have suffered from back pain for 40 years. In 2005 I had a fusion of my L4/4 and 3 lamenectomies. I have also had 8 knee surgeries and 2 surgeries on my foot for the removal of a neuroma.
In January I was introduced to Dr. Sarno's work and I immediately recognized myself in the description of a TMS suffer. In addition, I have never recovered from any of my surgeries.
I have read all of Dr' Sarno's books and I have put into practice his recommendations on a daily basis since early February. Unfortunately I have had almost no pain reduction in either my kness, foot or back. I am wondering if others have had a similar experience and if those who have would share their advice.
Thank you.

mk6283

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  21:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8 knee surgeries?!?!? What specific kinds of surgeries have you had? Have you had the knees replaced? Surgery for herniated discs and neuromas smell a lot like TMS to me.

Dr. Bruce Moseley, an orthopedic surgeon from Houston, conducted a study that was published in the NEJM in 2002 that showed that placebo/sham surgery was just as effective as arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee. Just food for thought.

I think there may be a possibility that you understand that your original pain may have been due to TMS, but now think that the pain that remains is due to damage from the surgical procedures (pretty unlikely). If that is the case, I would work on getting those kinds of ideas out of my head as they will surely restrict your progress. I have seen others on this forum struggling with similar situations.

Let's get some more details as to the specific diagnoses that you carry (and have gone under the knife for) and we can take it from there. Sorry that you have been through so much, hopefully a more promising approach is in sight. Good luck!

Best,
MK

Edited by - mk6283 on 04/27/2008 21:56:44
Go to Top of Page

jackmac

3 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  15:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MK,
I had 6 arthroscopic "clean outs" of my knees and then had osteotomy's on each one of them in 1994 and 1995. While the doctor's claims that they are sucessful, I have had intemittent knee pain (particularly on my left) since then.
The doctor's claimed that the neuromas on my right foot were related to the osteotomies on my knees since they caused my foot to strike the ground differnetly and the problems developed from that.
The TMS diagnosis for me makes a lot of sense. I have never recovered from any surgery so maybe the problems are not physical. I fit the mold of a TNMS sufferer.
I had a lot of problems rejecting the conventional diagnosis but I have come to grips with that. I am jsut so frustrated because I don't see a differnce in my pain!
Go to Top of Page

mk6283

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  16:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of person are you? What kinds of emotional obstacles have you faced? Have you noticed a connection between your pain and your emotional state at any point in your life? These are the sorts of things you need to think about, long and hard. Stop focusing on the physical -- it doesn't look like that approach has been very effective for you and it's most probably because you have TMS. I would probably recommend giving Dr. Schubiner's online program a try if you aren't having any success on your own, but again I would start by letting go of the physical entirely at this point and shifting all of my efforts to the emotional/psychological realm as that is the likely culprit in your case. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Best,
MK
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  18:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4083
Go to Top of Page

jackmac

3 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  11:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MK,
Thanks for your input. I am not familiar with Dr. Schubiner. Can youtell me where I can find out about his course?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000