TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Physical Therapy and TMS docs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joli

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  18:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the only way i found the courage to move again is through the watching eye of a PT. THe plus is that i begun to move more and be so scared , the minus is that she is obsessed with my pain and the weakness on the right side which I've been favoring for months and months. That fact gets me scared again that I have a neuro problem but I was tested by a few docs and had MRI X RAY, muscle tests.

Should I do more tests before I go to see one of the big TMS docs?

(i've been to one already but he was weird although he said I'm 100% TMS, he said stuff like "you are stupid to marry a doctor!!!" "You were stupid to foster children"!!! etc) So i don't wanna see him anymore DUH.

Another question: which TMS doc you physical sporty people would go to or went to that is nice but is a type T like us? meaning , detailed, not brushing you off, treats you like a smart person...but nice.
Sopher, Brady, Shechter ? which one of them had a bad TMS that you know of and is active now? I'm so TMSing it;s amazing

I think therefore I am.

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  06:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I wouldn't want to go to someone who insulted me! How dare you tell me I'm stupid! I'd be telling him HE needs therapy to uncover why he needs to insult people! LOL

You do know that going to physical therapy is reinforcing the PHYSICAL, right? Hindering your brain's acceptance of this being an EMOTIONAL condition.

What are you expecting more tests to find?

I recommend people read more mind/body books because so many conditions have been found to be emotional and once addressed, healed. Check your library. I have found lots there. And most have plenty of references to the exact study being mentioned.

-Lori

Edited by - mizlorinj on 07/08/2008 06:51:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  09:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something is preventing you from accepting the TMS diagnosis. You seem to be looking to others (PT, TMS doctor) to guide you. Have you tried to guide yourself?
Go to Top of Page

joli

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  17:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have tried to guide myself. i did it a few times with other tms stuff. This time i just don't seem to be able to it, mayne because it hurts so bad. the funny thing is this time i fit the classic tms(low back, leg), and the other times were pelvic, ibs etc.
i also think that it's hard this time because i'm so involved in the fitness and alignment (i taught yoga) that it is hard for me to disconnect from "proper alignment" will prevent injury.
i'm surrounded by friends in my profession that talk about structure all day long.

I think therefore I am.
Go to Top of Page

joli

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  23:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I usually guide myself, this time my confidence is down the drain , this pain is attacking my core joy of moving and dancing, sweating etc.
I lost my fire for some emotional trauma that i wrote about in previous post.

I do know pt is not the best but i had to start moving and i'm so de conditioned and i never felt like that in my life. Do you guys feel not yourselves sometimes? like unsure.

I read a lot mind body lit but i admit i do need some extra help.

Dave and Mizlorin , thanks.

btw-i got a cold sore on my nose for the first time in my life after this stress spasms in my back, but i also think it has to do something with seeing my ex boyfriend online and he had cold sores all the time.
weird? maybe just stress. I just always remember him with a sore , and he was unsure of himself, blah, i'm thinking too much, tthat is why i dropped Psychology major

I think therefore I am.
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  09:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think PT is great if it helps your confidence with moving. I also note that Sopher and Schubiner advised someone in a previous post to do exercises that kept the shoulder mobile when it was becoming "frozen." Perhaps I was the only one to note this bit of heresy against the church of Sarno.

Dr. Siegel, author of Back Sense, used a PT to help him rebuild his back after months of lying on his back and being deconditioned, and once I calmed my nerves down by not constantly thinking I was permanently crippled, I used a movement scheme that helped me immensely.

Do what you think to be right by your body and throw out all the nonsense about neuro problems when you have been checked out thoroughly. If this PT scares you, find another one that is more to your liking.

I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

joli

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  20:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, the pt is actually pretty cool cause she is pushing me
even if i hurt. but what do u do, she is thinking structure all day long.
it just does not make sense to me to not work out and when you are in pain you are unsure of yourself, or you don't wanna do it, you need help if it is important to you..
i tried and it on my own pain too distracting.
on the past i did it on my own.

I think therefore I am.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  10:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joli
it just does not make sense to me to not work out and when you are in pain you are unsure of yourself, or you don't wanna do it, you need help if it is important to you..

Resuming physical activity is one of the key things you must do to recover from TMS. Working out despite the pain, if you can deal with it, is a good way to prove to yourself that you do not believe there is a structural issue. I often found myself in the gym while enduring lower back pain and just pushed through it.

However, if the physical therapist is reinforcing the concepts in your mind that the pain may be due to structural issues, then you may be doing yourself a disservice. Whether you want to or not, your thoughts will be influenced by this person's beliefs. Their training forces them to think in a way that is contradictory to TMS recovery.

If you really need help, why not hire a personal trainer rather than a physical therapist. A trainer can help you through your workout without talk of structural issues.
Go to Top of Page

joli

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  23:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes Dave you are right, if she was into TMS i would feel more at ease, but she does continue to bring up all the findings that DUH, i know too.
but a personal trainer will do the same unless i hide the fact my back hurts.
i find that to be stressful, not to say when it hurts because i tend to push myself anyways.which my core belief is still in a doubt that i pushed myself physically and emotionally to an edge and that is why i have this nasty stuff going on.

i lost confidence, i admit.
so,i need a personal trainer who knows about TMS!!!
btw, in general i always like to have private sessions, cause i make a lot of progress in any area. so it's not just the fear, it's a way of learning.
bottom line:pt is not gonna help with TMS unless she is a TMS convert.
that will not happen any time soon with her.

Most people are stuck on : yes stress can make "it" worst, but not cause "it" (pain, injury etc),
i believe that to be such a limited way of thinking, how do they not assume that since the brain is in the body it has a direct relationship to how the body feels and it's not one way?

I think therefore I am.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  07:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joli
but a personal trainer will do the same unless i hide the fact my back hurts.

Why do you say that?
quote:
so,i need a personal trainer who knows about TMS!!!

Or find someone who is at least open to the idea.

The problem is, if a trainer knows you are in pain, they will probably be hesitant to train you for liability reasons.

You seem to be looking to others for the answer. The only solution lies within yourself. You are convinced that you need someone else to push you. You have decided that you are too weak to do it on your own. To be honest, this is a cop out. You need to accept responsibility for your own recovery.
Go to Top of Page

joli

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  10:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, once again, you are right. I am well aware of me being a chicken , which is not like me at all. It is a reflection of the past 3 years emotional drain and feeling lose of direction.
I will put it bluntly-I hate myself for feeling weak, I hate other people for making terrible decisions and I'm tired of fighting something at all times.

I wish i could just be, I am so stuck in the future, I scare myself.
I have expectations that are either too specific or too pessimistic, lots of control.

It' s either I'm naive or don't believe anything.
I need more middle.

I think therefore I am.
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  21:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle helped me to be present, not always living in the past or future. Worries and anxieties are 90% less, and the inner pressure-cooker seems to be turned down to zero.
When you say:" I hate myself for being weak" Who is doing the hating?
The false self - the ego. Ego ran my world until a few years ago, and life seemed hard, now every day I am grateful. Challenges still arise, but they are just ripples on the surface of "being". You said you wish you could just "be", and you can! Become a human "being", instead of a human"doing". You will ride the stream of life, instead of paddling upstream.
Go to Top of Page

joli

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  22:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. I know it it to be true because i actually experienced the "be" for a while but it was in condition to some level of performance in yoga. It is not unconditional yet for me. The hating myself is the ego off course, and I have a big ego (well I am a tms girl), and much of my esteem comes from performance and external appearance. the latter is nasty because really
you cannot base your self esteem on your looks but it has been a kind of a central thing since my teens. I also think I don't admit it but i care too much about what people think. Mostly I care about what my own ego thinks cause i can go right against the stream and love it.
I always stood out and i wanted to belong in the crowd, now I belong more and I wanna stand out-all ego.
Plus my family is highly critical about none sense, including the boys!
We have radar eyes for imperfections. nasty.
I think I'm looking for approval from myself and i don't give it.

I think therefore I am.
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  23:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Plus my family is highly critical about none sense, including the boys!
We have radar eyes for imperfections. nasty.
I think I'm looking for approval from myself and i don't give it.

Maybe this part of your post is the most telling.

Family relationships are a huge contributor to TMS imo. It's not that family are deliberately winding you up but they all have their own issues which they can weigh you down with. We accept these due to family loyalty or just habit or guilt, if you are not seen to support them.
Go to Top of Page

res19mbx

2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  22:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been to Schechter severals times and he is good. I just recommend you say to yourself, I am going to do what I want and just say it is only TMS, i am fine, believe it and be active
Schechter has a journal, it really helped me in the beginning, and he has a DVD
sometimes he is quick in his office and he might try to give you medications but ask him what to do to help you get active again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000