TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Frustrated with Tennis Elbow!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  09:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

I wanted to throw something out to the forum for feedback before I decide to do something crazy, like have surgery.

I’ve been working Dr. Sarno’s program pretty diligently since January and have had amazing results. A disabling back problem that is nearly 20 years old is no longer an issue in my life. My asthma, IBS, tinnitus, reflux, and my over all health are all much, much better now. I’m exercising regularly. Another thing I hadn’t done in nearly 20 years. I am extremely grateful to Dr. Sarno for he has literally changed my life!

But so far I’ve had minimal luck applying the program to my tennis elbow. Here's what I’ve been doing:

- Rejecting medical diagnosis (a small tear in the tendon and surgery was recommended)
- Returning to normal activity
- Ignoring the pain and thinking psychologically
- Journaling
- Reading and listening to my TMS books and tapes everyday

Attempting to return to normal activity is what caused a recent flare up of severe pain. Keying on the computer is what really seems to aggravate it (as I’m doing right now). This keying is an essential part of my job.

I have considered that there may be something ‘psychologically linked’ to keying that causes my pain. Maybe my inner child doesn’t want to do any work?

Anyway, I’m open to any comments, suggestions, advice, words of wisdom or even criticism if it might make the pain better.

Thanks!!

Edited by - Capn Spanky on 07/28/2008 09:17:48

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  17:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're getting pain from keyboarding, there is a very high likelihood it is a conditioned response, not a physical problem. Keyboarding's just not very physically intensive. :)

It sounds like you are having the "Calendar Sydrome" issue, aka the "I've done 'all the work' and it still didn't go away!" issue.

How do you react to the pain? Do you still find it distracting? Annoying? Frightening? That's one place to look, especially if you are putting pressure on yourself that "it should have gone away by now". Another is just pure deconditioning. Maybe you are just still conditioned. Try Fred Amir's book for that if you need some tips. Or it's possible that there are unexplored emotions, though I really can't say. How do you like your work?

--
What were you expecting?
Go to Top of Page

dewiniaeth

13 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  21:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had "tennis elbow" a few weeks ago. It felt like it would never go away. Maybe the first thing I had to do was stop calling it tennis elbow and just refer to it as TMS symptoms. Then I stopped worrying so much about hurting my elbows. Trust me, they were *very* sensitive, but I became active again, and the symptoms eventually did go away.

Typing at the computer used to make my elbows hurt. Now the symptoms have moved elsewhere. So, as physical as it *feels* at the time, somehow, I've stopped worrying about my elbows and therefore it's no longer a place that the pain decides to go.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  07:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by armchairlinguist

How do you react to the pain? Do you still find it distracting? Annoying? Frightening?

Yes, yes, and yes.
I'll look into that more.

quote:

Another is just pure deconditioning. Maybe you are just still conditioned. Try Fred Amir's book for that if you need some tips. Or it's possible that there are unexplored emotions, though I really can't say. How do you like your work?

I've got Amir's book, but did not read all of it. I'll look at some of his deconditioning stuff. I generally like my job. Thanks for the input, acl!
Go to Top of Page

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  07:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dewiniaeth

I had "tennis elbow" a few weeks ago. It felt like it would never go away. Maybe the first thing I had to do was stop calling it tennis elbow and just refer to it as TMS symptoms. Then I stopped worrying so much about hurting my elbows. Trust me, they were *very* sensitive, but I became active again, and the symptoms eventually did go away.

Typing at the computer used to make my elbows hurt. Now the symptoms have moved elsewhere. So, as physical as it *feels* at the time, somehow, I've stopped worrying about my elbows and therefore it's no longer a place that the pain decides to go.

I've had mine for over a year. I like your idea of calling it TMS. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  11:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome! I hope it's helpful. It sounds it may likely be conditioning plus conditioned fear/emotional reaction to the pain. I had some trouble deconditioning at work as well, so I can empathize.

--
What were you expecting?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000