TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 total relapse and I don't know what to do
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverleaf

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  09:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am 22 years old and I have had severe RSI more than 2 years now. 3/4 years ago I discovered the TMS theory and Sarno's book and have been going on that path of recovery since.
I have been going to hypnotherapy and other therapy to figure out mental stuff (which has had no impact of any relief of my symptoms yet) but gradually I have been slowly defying my symptoms and being able do more with my hands. I went from not to being able to eat and brush my teeth to, well, being able to eat and brush my teeth, go out , tidy up my room and even write some with some pushing, affirmations and visualization.

Then 2 weeks ago it all fell apart and I am back to vegetable state again.
I don't even exactly know what happened. I had a tough week because my two only friends let me down big time but I have tried to vent out my anger and sadness as much as I possibly could at the time. I really don't know what to do right now as I am a year back in progress again with no sign of relief.
Does anyone has advice for me?

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  11:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Silverleaf,

Congratulations on your progress.

Sorry to hear about your relapse - but don't panic, it's a normal thing to happen. It might feel that you're back to where you were, but you can progress again using the same techniques. (Did you talk about your situation with your therapist?)

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

DrGUID

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  03:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I recommend reading "The Divided Mind", a chapter of which really struck a chord with me.

My doctor and physio also ruled out anything like rheumatism or arthritis, which made me begin to think it was a psychological problem (even before I discovered Dr Sarno's books!).

But the important thing I find is changing your mindset so that you are no longer thinking about RSI and its symptoms. It can be done, and I believe it is the main precursor to a full recovery.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

silverleaf

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  03:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hilary N

Thanks for replying. My first recovery it took ages before I got some visible progress. If I do the same now will it mean that it will take the same amount of time , because it surely looks like that right now.
And because I don't know what happened last time I can't prevent a relapse again in which I have to start all over. So it seems.
Go to Top of Page

Dor

67 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  05:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You never start all over because you have already learned and that learning stays with you even when it doesn't seem so. You just must remind yourself that this is a relapse, perfectly normal, and try not to get too discouraged by it. Let it come, let it do its worst, but see it for what it is and let it go. It is the stressing about it that keeps it there not the thing itself. You do know why it happened - you really do. So stare it in the face, tell yourself this is a temporary setback, stop telling yourself that you are in a "vegetable state", get up, brush your teeth, eat, tidy up, and get on. It is the worry and the retreating that keeps it there. Hard? Yes. But, the staying down is so much harder in the long run.

Dor
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000