TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS rage-producing events/migraines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  06:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My leg pain is still 95% better after going deep into Sarno. Still not running but satisfied for now with walking 30 to 60 minutes a day plus crunches,etc....Been having more problems with migraines, however, but I have found a way that seems to nip them in the bud...I have developed a long list of TMS rage and sadness producing events from childhood to the present. Every three days I review the list and try to re-experience a taste of the emotional pain produced by each event. I also mentally go through the list every morning for 10-15 minutes during the first part of my walk. In addition, if I feel an aura (intense drowiness is my aura) or a bit of a headache coming on, I mentally return to the list...So far it's really cutting into the frequency of the migraines.

Pd245

58 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  10:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting your tip about migraines. I'm going to try this starting today.
Go to Top of Page

Pd245

58 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  11:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I just did this exercise, and I experienced something I never have before. I read through my list of events, and when I got to the events that concern one parent, I got a burning in my chest that grew and grew as I asked myself to feel something about the events. This burning felt like it was gripping and tightening all the muscles in my chest and stomach. It felt like hot cement was flowing from somewhere deep below my ribcage and burning a hole in my chest. It gripped me for about 30 minutes and is still hanging on in my rib muscles. I realized that it was rage - that's what rage feels like! I never once thought I had rage against this parent. This rage certainly must have been repressed, as it took just a little coaxing from me and then completely took over and was a total surprise.

I bring this up because Sarno says in his books, Think about your stresses, Think about events that are enraging. I've been doing that but it hasn't worked. It's easy for me to think about these things - but I'm inexperienced at feeling. So, I'm thinking some people need to be told specifically to Feel the events, Feel the stresses. Some people move naturally from thinking to feeling, but I'm finding that for me, personally, I have to ask myself to feel.

I guess there is a philosophical difference between those who think you need to purge repressed emotions in order to start to heal, and those who believe that awareness is all that you need in order to start to heal. I tend to think that if you're the type of person who has been trained not to feel, that part of the healing process must include training yourself to allow feelings.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  06:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say that I have had no major headache for two weeks since I started this system and before this, for months, I had been experiencing one major headache every three days. Also my leg pain, which had already improved, has improved even further.
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  11:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent. This is what I've meant so many times when I said FEEL your Feelings. It is very different from thinking them.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  06:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I really do try to get deep into feelings when I look at the printed list every few days. While walking every morning, however, I move tnrough the list, mentally and without visual cues, more quickly - so I can enjoy the latter part of my walk unfettered by the need to do this rather tiring "brain work" - looking forward to a certain mindlessness to be enjoyed during the latter part of the walk - so I only attempt to tap lightly into the surface of the feelings when I walk - but sometimes I surprise myself by the gush of strong emotion (usually rage) that comes forth - especially lately when I think of having been bullied by high school jerks.
Go to Top of Page

Pd245

58 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  10:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad this method is working for you, im still working on it as well. Please keep us updated.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  19:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Fox. I too have been having success using your method!! thanks for posting.

Also... crk posted a similar idea in his Success Story recently:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5118

(read his latest post on that thread.)

Go to Top of Page

celloLWF

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the advice to 'feel' some of those emotions is crucial. I'll schedule a couple of good crys every few months, watch a sappy movie or listen to some evil or sad music, and then FEEL the power of your emotions. Let them control you...let them out of the cage.

Go for a run and blow of some steam. Try yelling a the top of your lungs while driving to work. Spend some quality time with your significant other...

Do stuff that allows you to safely feel a way that you can't in other situations.

Loren
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  15:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The list thing is still working. I've gotten a few (very few) strong headaches, but I have been able to get rid of them within an hour by focusing on some current topic in my life that I know is causing me rage and trying to dig down into the feelings associated with the situation. Still covering the full list mentally each morning when I set off walking. It is surprising that new situations from my life pop into my head and they often provoke a strong emotional response - either rage (which I try to dispel by visualizing vicious methods of revenge and shouting out/cursing and swinging my fists - luckily I walk so early that no one hears me or sees me) or sadness (and I do try to cry - when I can, it does seem to greatly relieve my stress level). I add these new situations onto the list. And sometimes I hit strong emotions with an original item on the list that I have been over and over but for some reason, I guess more detailed mental visualization of the event than before, the item hits me stronger emotionally than ever before.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000