TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Can jaw pain/tTMJ be TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mom2aidan2002

14 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  14:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi--
I have had multiple episodes of TMS manifesting as sciatica over the years and have gotten pretty good at eliminating the pain using Sarno's techniques. Every once in a while I get a flare up that I can't head off by using techniques (i.e., I get obsessive about the pain and it gets worse) but have learned how to shorten those episodes pretty quickly.

Almost 2 weeks ago tho now, I went to my orthodontist (I have braces). My mouth was open for a long time and I noticed that I began to have achy jaw muscles and problems with my bite after. I have had this happen over the years with dental visits, but usually the achiness clears up within a few hours. Since getting braces I have had a few episodes of bite issues too, but I have always assumed this was due to movement of the teeth--and haven't had pain.
My orthodontist said this should clear up within 2 days, but it hasn't. My mouth won't open wide without clicking and pain and my jaw feels like it just can't relax.

And of course--all I can think about is my mouth and the pain it is in. When I talk, when I chew, when I am just sitting there--there is pain. Ibuprophen hasn't helped either. The obsessive quality of my thoughts makes me think this is TMS, but the fact I have braces and my teeth are moving makes me wonder whether this is really physical. I am not sure how to deal with this one.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Christine

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  14:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, TMJ and jaw issues are likely a mind/body issue (TMS). There have been lots of threads about it.

Some mind/body sources I've used say TMJ has to do with anger. Or wanting to speak up about something and not doing so.

Hope you can do some journaling to explore what may be causing this flare-up so you can get some relief.

I keep meaning to mention this: A TMS doc I saw (not as a patient) last week said ANY CONFLICT = TMS. Thought that was a good point.

Best wishes,

Lori
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000