TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Interesting news article
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elorac

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  08:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this article was very interesting. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20081112/thl-your-favorite-music-happy-heart-stud-0b0437e.html

The above link that I posted doesn't seem to exist now.

Mcone, I'm sorry that the article caused you worry.

I thought it was interesting because it showed scientific proof that something that was emotionally pleasing ie. listening to music that you like, can have a beneficial effect by increasing blood flow.

Edited by - Elorac on 11/23/2008 05:43:17

mcone

114 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  10:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These days, reading stuff like this causes me even MORE worry and panic. Why? Because I've already accepted the idea of emotions causing physiological effects in the body - and I know my emotions have been very volatile these last few years. So I interpret information like this to mean that my emotions have damaged my body.

This is quite a paradox. Yes, I believe that emotions and mental states affect the physical, but I struggle with the notion of whether the effects on the physical are really remediable or reversible. Of course, it is also true that the full implications of these types of things, thier impact in the overall health equation, and the extent of corresponding resilience and healing in the face of more positive emotional states isn't fully established and I definitely don't have any reliable means of determining how or what applies to me specifically.

And yet my bias towards catastrophic thinking and hopelessness can be fed (generously) by this type of information. And then again, many of the extraordinary TMS recoveries being reported here and elsewhere - from long term issues - do seem to support resiliency. Sometimes, it seems that the only real way to deal with this is to somehow cultivate hopefulness and optimisim in the face of inevitable uncertainty.

Edited by - mcone on 11/13/2008 10:52:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000