TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Can a cold be TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  21:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day before thanksgiving I got a stomach virus, which hung around for a couple of days and then turned into a cold which I cannot get rid of. I've been taking vitamin c, drinking soup, orange juice, resting....cannot shake this cold. I spoke to my doctor who said it just has to take it's course, I don't need any anti-biotics.

I must say that while I've been sick, I have been distracted. Haven't been doing my TMS reading or writing. So if it is TMS it's working (or at least it was, I read and wrote today for the first time in a week.)

Can TMS (or equivelant) take any shape or form? If it's purpose is physical pain/sickness in order to distract, could it come in the form of a stomach virus? Cold? Ear ache? Tooth ache? How does one know what's "real" and what is TMS?

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  06:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. virtually anything can be used to distract you from the realm of your emotions. I had a cold mutate and hang on so long one time that my MD had me tested for AIDS.
It started on Halloween and went on until groundhog day. I was also
Homeless,in a state run facility, kicked out of my family and my girlfriend has just left me. I needed that cold to stick around lest I realize how deeply in dark waters I was swimming.

In my experience colds usually represent indecisiveness and too much stuff going on in my head at one time.

Real Vs. TMS? I think Deepak Chopra said it right when he said "We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience, but spiritual beings having a physical one" and my fave...."Illness is the western form of meditation....if you won't take the time to slow down and reflect, your body will take it for you"

I work around those nasty little germ infested heathens known as children (I work in schools) .... I haven't had a cold in a few years and I am NO health nut. I take my Placebo 'airborne', wash my hands and use a lot of affirmations if I feel it coming on. It never sticks around more than a day.
Go to Top of Page

Northerner

62 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  10:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nearly every bit of research I've ever seen indicates that you catch a cold when you're feeling down. Whether it's TMS or not, it is related to your emotional state.
Go to Top of Page

stefan

56 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  22:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BB65 you nailed it again. Thank you!

Ars Longa Vita Brevis
Go to Top of Page

debbette

44 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  18:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny, my husband and I had this discussion a few weeks ago when I came down with a cold the same day my family came to visit. We both realized I pretty much always get sick when they come or we go to visit them. Interesting...
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  13:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A cold is viral, it's not TMS. How the body reacts to a cold, or how stron your immune system is in the first place, can most definitely be influenced by one's emotional or pschologic state, but again, calling that "TMS" is a gross misrepresentation IMO. However, i have had "allegy attacks" that i personally believe are TMS equivalents, and these attacks are virtually indistinguishable from colds, they involve congestion, sore throat etc.
Go to Top of Page

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  17:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't know if colds are actually tms, because the last one i had i wasn't able to kick it's ass out of my system like the previous ones using a tms approach. every cold i have ever had, however, was during times of elevated stress. also, at the height of my main tms manifestation, i didn't get sick like once. and that was a 2-3 year span. i didn't need a cold to distract me at that time, i was spun all around sideways by other tms crap.

---
author of tms-recovery . com

(not sh!t, champagne)
Go to Top of Page

basil

52 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  04:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't of thought colds were TMS.

Scott that is interesting as that has just occurred to me. I haven't had a single bout of cold, flu or general illness since this whole major RSI TMS and I use to get them very regularly. This was to the point where I use to get called a sickly child which use to anger me very much!
Go to Top of Page

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  12:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is ridiculous to say that a cold is TMS. I get a bit disappointed in this board when almost 99% of things are termed as TMS. I DO agree that many are, but a cold...no. It is viral. I do believe stress and TMS can suppress an immune system making it easier to get a cold or flu, but to say a cold is TMS is ridiculous.

Just my two cents. :)
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  20:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My frequent cold went away when I rid the rest of my TMS symptoms. Ofcourse a cold is a virus. But TMS has definitely a finger in your immune system that can make it let in colds in 13 times a year in stead of 3 times.

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  09:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One lesson I've learned from reading Sarno, Candace Pert ("Molecules of Emotion") et al is that one can't separate the physical and psychological.

I've knocked many potential colds on the head by thinking psychological. A couple of months ago I developed a wicked sore throat during the night and was thinking to myself as I slept, "Wow, I'm in for a whopping cold." When I woke up in the morning that was my first thought. But then I talked myself out of it and the sore throat went away.

I forgot all about it until every now and then during the day it would pay me a little brief visit again.

That was my only reminder and it was a prompt to congratulate myself on having got rid of it.

A couple of weeks ago whe on holiday in Malaysia I got a tummy upset. We were driving from Melacca to KL and had to stop off at a motorway stop.

We stayed there a couple of hours and I got gradually worse - was in a lot of pain and vomiting. Eventually I told myself determinedly: "It's not physical, it's pychological", repeating over and over again to myself.

My friend saw my distant look and, misinterpreting it, said "I think maybe you're getting too hung up on being sick. Maybe it would be better if you thought about something else?"

I grinned and repeated my mantra out loud. She encouraged me and we got back into the car, me still repeating my mantra. I felt much better and was able to eat again by next morning.

I know from previous experience that would normally have lasted 2 or 3 days!

Hilary N

Edited by - HilaryN on 12/18/2008 09:17:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000