TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Where should I go from here?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hottm8oh

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  14:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a doozy of a situation on my hands and I don't know what to make of it.

For the past 2-3 years, I have been complaining of a mild right sided pain. I sought treatment for it earlier this year, but all the tests came back negative so I gave up on it. In October I ended up in the ER with right sided pain and a fever. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. Ever since I was given this diagnosis, the pain on the right side of my abdomen has gotten worse. My doctor prescribed anti-spasmotics thinking it was IBS, but they don't work.

I started talking to people and they said my symptoms sounded like gallbladder--gnawing upper right sided pain after eating that lasts for hours--so I asked my doctor for a HIDA scan. The scan showed no functional problem and no gallstones, but said it was suspicious for chronic inflammation and I was sent to a surgeon. The surgeon told me there is no way to test for chronic inflammation and he would be removing my gallbladder based only on my symptoms.

I'm waiting to have a colonoscopy done to rule out an intestinal issue such as an ulcer or to see if my diverticular disease is advanced. I also want to rule out pancreatitis, but in the meantime I'm in terrible pain after I eat. It also wakes me up in the middle of the night.

I am not comfortable having surgery to remove my gallbladder based on an inconclusive test. Since I know I have a history of TMS back pain, I can't help but wonder if this is TMS. I had some pain before this infection, but it was NOTHING like it is now. This is severe pain, and no one can seem to conclusively tell me at this point that it's definitely something "real". I do plan to get a second opinion since I'm not happy with my current gastroenterologist. She doesn't seem to be taking my pain very seriously.

I just don't know where to go from here. I'm really confused. What would you do?

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  15:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hottm8oh

I do plan to get a second opinion since I'm not happy with my current gastroenterologist.

no-one will blame you for that, probably will think this is smart.
quote:

She doesn't seem to be taking my pain very seriously.

I'd build off this, and when the next doctor seems the same way.
quote:

I just don't know where to go from here. I'm really confused. What would you do?

I'm sure i'd probably be doing what your'e doing. I hope you get clues either way. Of course, even the most experienced of tms'r forgets to look at their life and see whats irritating them under the surface when the new fearful symptoms appear, anything there?
Go to Top of Page

hottm8oh

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  15:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skizzik

I'm sure i'd probably be doing what your'e doing. I hope you get clues either way. Of course, even the most experienced of tms'r forgets to look at their life and see whats irritating them under the surface when the new fearful symptoms appear, anything there?

The TMS'er in me sees that I have been diagnosed with diverticular disease and I'm very afraid of what that means for me and my future. Will I need bowel resection surgery someday? Will I end up with a colostomy bag? These things have me scared out of my fricken mind. That's what's going on with me emotionally right now.
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  16:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear ya. I'd be feeling the same way.

It's interesting you mentioned the pain being worse upon diagnosis. You said it was mild for 2-3 years, then- you went and got it checked out and now it has you freaked. This seems to be textbook tms. (I emphasize "seems")

How much worse did it get? You say it wakes you at night, and after you eat, was it this way prior to the diagnosis?
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  16:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep your gallbladder!!!
Go to Top of Page

scd1833

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  19:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diverticulitis is serious and you will know for sure after your c-scope.
I believe there is a mind-body component to these diseases, but when acute they must be treated medically.
you might want to check out the specific carbohydrate diet. it's specifically designed to treat serious GI diseases. get the book "breaking the vicious cycle" by Gottschall(scdiet.com), and go to www.scdiet.org and read more about the diet.
If you want to know more about my experience contact me off list
Go to Top of Page

hottm8oh

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  15:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scd1833

Diverticulitis is serious and you will know for sure after your c-scope.
I believe there is a mind-body component to these diseases, but when acute they must be treated medically.
you might want to check out the specific carbohydrate diet. it's specifically designed to treat serious GI diseases. get the book "breaking the vicious cycle" by Gottschall(scdiet.com), and go to www.scdiet.org and read more about the diet.
If you want to know more about my experience contact me off list

I bought a SCD cookbook a few weeks ago. The diet is so restrictive and time-consuming that I'm not sure I can do it. I understand how it helps diseases like colitis and UC, but I don't understand how it helps diverticular disease since the holes in my intestines never go away. Plus some of the no-no foods like seeds and nuts are allowed in SCD. How does this diet prevent infections?
Go to Top of Page

hottm8oh

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  15:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skizzik

I hear ya. I'd be feeling the same way.

It's interesting you mentioned the pain being worse upon diagnosis. You said it was mild for 2-3 years, then- you went and got it checked out and now it has you freaked. This seems to be textbook tms. (I emphasize "seems")

How much worse did it get? You say it wakes you at night, and after you eat, was it this way prior to the diagnosis?

It did not wake me up at night prior to this diagnosis, and the pain wasn't nearly as severe or constant as it is now. I don't know if my TMS latched onto the bad spot on my intestines or if my gallbladder really has tanked. Either way, I'm not comfortable agreeing to surgery based on an inconclusive test. I'm so confused.
Go to Top of Page

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  06:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its good your having a coloscopy done, did they put you on Antibiotics when you got dx with diverticulitis? I would not get
the gallbadder out till they run more tests.

I just wanted to add do not assume it is tms until all dx. tests have ruled out everything else, including your pancreas. I believe stress/tms can be the culprit of digestive problems, but only when other things are ruled out by diagnotic tests.

Edited by - LuvtoSew on 01/01/2009 06:43:17
Go to Top of Page

hottm8oh

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  07:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I'm waiting for some lab results, but my doctor said that it was "not that bad." There's nothing visual on the test that would explain my pain. I do have gastritis which might explain the nausea I've been having, but it does not explain the pain. I'm going for a second opinion on my gallbladder next Thursday.

Incidentally, my right leg has been numb for three days. Stupid TMS!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000