TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Need some help, please...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shamrock

26 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  15:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been dealing with my latest back pain episode since August 2007. (Overall, been dealing with it off and on for past 3 years.) I decided to take the Sarno approach. So I read all his books, saw a TMS doc (Dr. Gwozdz), journaled, talked to my brain, stopped all physical treatments, etc.

As of now, I'm still having pain. Not as intense as in August, but still very disruptive. I attended Dr. Gwozdz' lectures and did the work he prescribed -- reviewing my TMS list (things that are bothering me from childhood, personality, etc.) many times during the day to try to focus on the emotional.

As of now, I'm frustrated and tired. Reviewing the list doesn't seem to be helping, and I feel stuck. I journaled a bunch a few months ago, and that wasn't helping much either. Plus, I'm now dealing with some left shoulder pain that comes and goes with working out and my left pinky and ring finger have been mildly numb for 1-1/2 months.

Part of me want to try other treatments (like PT, which didn't really help me 3 years ago). Another part of me wants to push forward with TMS until I "get it."

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  17:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shamrock

my left pinky and ring finger have been mildly numb for 1-1/2 months.

I get this often too. Well used too, forgot about it. On and off for 5 years perhaps. I'm sure it will return this week for a couple days now...thanx
quote:

Part of me want to try other treatments (like PT, which didn't really help me 3 years ago).

If you go this route, don't beat yourself up over it. Go one time maybe.....It could be benificial to remind you of why you don't do it anymore. You might have a "what am I doin here" moment.

quote:

Another part of me wants to push forward with TMS until I "get it."

IMO this will perpetuate the pain as much as staring at your MRI will I can conclude thru experience. You'll fall back into the "calendar Phenomenon" and become fustrated. I think you do get it already.

I feel you (me/we) need to get to a level of pain where you think "this aint so bad, I can pretty much do what I want, the pain is just there, I was'nt guarunteed a pain free life", and the process of letting go will begin. You'll then have a realization you've been doing very well for awhile now. (when I get there, I'll let you know)

Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  20:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that you are still focusing on your pain. Try and relax taking one day at a time. Continue doing the program. Inorder for this to work you must be sure that TMS is the source of your pain. If you have doubts you are setting yourself up for failure. Do not focus on the pain..do some reading and writing every day but do not let it take up your entire day. Keep youself busy and involved in your daily activities and do not anticipate pain every time you move. You cannot force to program to work it just will in time. Sometimes longer than we like. I have found in the past that when I would feel pain I would worry and the pain would increase. Now I try not to pay much attention to it and it goes away.
Marsha
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  20:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skizzik

quote:

my left pinky and ring finger have been mildly numb for 1-1/2 months.

I get this often too. Well used too, forgot about it. On and off for 5 years perhaps. I'm sure it will return this week for a couple days now...thanx

Me, too! It's so reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one. I only get it when I type. Thinking emotionally doesn't make it go away completely (like Skizzik), but it does let me get on with my life.

FFT
Go to Top of Page

Jasper175

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  14:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.runningpain.com/

NO this is not a promotional Posting. This book my friend and I a reading and talking about since we both believe in TMS and know we both have it. His circumstance is emotional in seeing the world in what they should be doing, and hating the system, and the responsibilities people should be carrying out, even in his marriage.

My problem is more - I'm trying for perfection internally and externally - trying to fix everything. I have history of getting picked on as a child, left out, woe is me life. I hold on to things broken until they are fixed that are not mine to fix.

I read Sarno's book and seen the DVD, spoke with him on the phone. I'm the one who needs therapy.

Until http://www.runningpain.com/ this book - which help explain Sarno. This book quotes and supports Sarno, but its' a life story and explains more of the Psychoanalysis, the emotional awareness, the thinking process. This is the missing portion for those like me who need the Therapy but can't find it.

The hard part is having someone to work with on this, to remind us that we're worrying or stressing about something that is not our responsibility though we see it.

Rob (Jasper175)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000