TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 reemergence of back pain with new job
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MHI

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  11:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps someone has experienced this. After finally understanding TMS and knowing it is the reason for my back issues as I have successfully defeated it, I have only experienced again on two occasions. On both occasions, I took on a new job and within a couple of weeks of starting, all my back pain came back. I am not sure why as my most recent job move is a good one where I am actually using my education properly. The last time I tried a new job (on a interim basis), I developed severe back pain and then went back to my old job where after a few weeks, my back pain went away. I thought that by taking on a new job that I was really happy to do, I would not experience these problems again but I am. It is not as bad as last time but my symptoms are hanging on. I refuse to let it stop me from running or working out but I just cant shake the symtoms. It has been about 8 weeks of back and hip pain. The pain moves around sometimes from side to side and from my back into my hip. Any thoughts.

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  12:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Change good and bad can cause a relapse. Work the program. Focus on you brain not the pain.
You will be fine.
Marsha
Go to Top of Page

Jasper175

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  14:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Marsha. Sarno tells that the events of life trigger the sub-conscious mind. We will never know it. And because job changing is not often enough for the sub-conscious to learn that "New" is "Good" - it resulted in a rage of fear.

I think in this case you had no hope of control over TMS. However the pain will leave and never come back. Until next job LOL - unless your brain has learned it is safe.

You'll be fine

Rob (Jasper175)
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  10:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I have nothing to add, I just occasionally read discussions that might help my continuing mission to stay complaint free, and I also have minor relapses sometimes where this makes good sense:

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper175

Sarno tells that the events of life trigger the sub-conscious mind. We will never know it. And because job changing is not often enough for the sub-conscious to learn that "New" is "Good" - it resulted in a rage of fear.

Do you remember where you read this? Then I can reread the chapter. I have (read) "The Divided Mind" and "The Mindbody Prescription".

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  11:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always find starting a new job rather stressful, even if it's a "good" job. You're with strangers who don't know you, and you're under pressure to make a good impression on them, because first impressions count for a lot, and are very hard to remove, once made.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

MHI

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  17:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input folks. I think that where I work (with inmates) the change of job and more confrontational inmates has created a huge amount of anxiety (tingling in my back) and unconscious fears. Right now my anxiety levels are so high (flight or fight) I don't think I had chance dealing with the change (whether it is perceived as good or bad). I think that the change in jobs itself was enough to bring back the pain. Last time this happened, I went back to old job, started taking effexor (37.5 mgs) and after about 6-8 weeks, I felt better and better. I really don't want to go back on the medication because it is just masking the issue. I have made a conscious decision to go back to my old job (it is also a good job) because I feel more in control and it is more suited for my unconscious fears right now. The only problem is that I have to wait until April 1 to go back. I have a golf trip planned for end of January but I am going to go without any fear of pain. I don't think it is quitting on the new job. I just see it as "not the right time" to make a change of this nature. I want to thank everyone for their encouraging remarks and support. I didn't know what to expect. It has given me confidence that everything will be alright if I just keep applying the principles of the program. Just so you know, I watched a hockey game last night about a player from Nashville Predators who missed 2 years of NHL hockey because of back pain. He indicated that despite 2 operations, it was the psychological therapy that has hoped the most. I am not sure if he is aware of TMS but I would put all my money on this diagnosis. Thanks again and god bless.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000