TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New to TMS - Just read The Mindbody Prescription
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skuba

8 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  15:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am new to this forum and new to TMS. I am in my early thirties but I have been dealing with pain in different areas for quite some time. Most recently, chest pain, shoulder pain and neck pain.

I am a pretty active guy so I can see how I would get injured. In the past I sprained my knee 2 times snowboarding, bust my back when was a teenage skateboarding. More recently believe i hurt my chest at the gym, my shoulder at jiu jitsu and neck surfing.

I have done A LOT of physical therapy, seen orthopedists, sports medicine doctors, regular doctors. Each one says one thing and nothing seems to help. Well, like the book describes, PT seems to provide a temporary relief and improvement.

I live in fear. Afraid of doing bench presses or going back to jiu jistu because of my pain. Every time I go snowboarding I am like praying to not hurt my knees again. And so on. I just read the book and I can see myself with the same characteristics described on the book. Kind of a perfectionist, definitely anxious person. Have actually being doing psychotherapy for 3 years and been taking Lexapro, both of which seem to help. I was really able to grow as a person and understand my emotions better though psychotherapy. I can't wait for next therapy to talk about my unconscious anger, and see if we can work on it.

I would be interested to know what else can I do to combat TMS?
- I was thinking of reading parts of the book again and highlight some important areas

I believe I have TMS and even won't take the medicine the new doctor, this time a rheumatologist told me to take. A muscle relaxant. I have taken enough anti inflammatory and muscle relaxant to kill a dog already.

What else can I do?

Thanks so much for helping.

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  15:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can, make an appointment to see a Dr. that deals with TMS. Read [THE DIVIDED MIND by Dr. John Sarno]and follow the suggestions for recovery.
marsha
Go to Top of Page

skuba

8 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  16:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marsha. Do you think I should get the audio version instead of the book?
I am actually not used to audio books, but I thinking in this case it can help hearing the things, and be able to play it with frequency.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  16:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skuba

Hello,
I am new to this forum and new to TMS. I am in my early thirties but I have been dealing with pain in different areas for quite some time. Most recently, chest pain, shoulder pain and neck pain.

whoo hoo! fresh meat!

quote:

I am a pretty active guy so I can see how I would get injured. In the past I sprained my knee 2 times snowboarding, bust my back when was a teenage skateboarding. More recently believe i hurt my chest at the gym, my shoulder at jiu jitsu and neck surfing.

so far, so typical

quote:

I have done A LOT of physical therapy, seen orthopedists, sports medicine doctors, regular doctors. Each one says one thing and nothing seems to help. Well, like the book describes, PT seems to provide a temporary relief and improvement.

join the club

quote:

Every time I go snowboarding I am like praying to not hurt my knees again

hows that working for you?

quote:

And so on. I just read the book and I can see myself with the same characteristics described on the book. Kind of a perfectionist, definitely anxious person. Have actually being doing psychotherapy for 3 years

be proud of yourself that you sought help was my first thought.

My second thought was that Sarno specifically states that psycotherapy without the knowledge of TMS will not get rid of physical pain.

quote:

I would be interested to know what else can I do to combat TMS?
- I was thinking of reading parts of the book again and highlight some important areas

combat.......that word can mean so many things. If you fight hard, yell at yourself, get mad at yourself, I feel this will perpetuate it.

If you feel relieved after reading Sarno, that you just woke up from a nightmare, then the combat is simply allowing yourself to feel relieved and allow yourself to feel harmless pain the next time you snowboard, bench, or kimora someone

quote:

I believe I have TMS and even won't take the medicine the new doctor, this time a rheumatologist told me to take.

In "the Divided Mind" Sarno's 4th book there's an entire chapter written by a Rheumatologist on TMS.
quote:

I have taken enough anti inflammatory and muscle relaxant to kill a dog already.

What else can I do?

to kill more dogs???
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  16:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got both the CDs and the book and if you are considering the CDs, you should know that they are abridged. I haven't yet finished the CDs, but my impression is that the book on tape only covers roughly half of the book. The first half of the books is by Sarno, and the second half is a collection of essays by other doctors. In the CDs, I think you only get the first half. (That's the better half, I bet, but I know that I personally definitely appreciate hearing different opinions).

My suggestion, I guess, would be to get the book.

BTW, I'm working on a page in the TMS Wiki that you might find helpful. It's practically empty right now, but it should be growing over the next couple of days and the next couple of weeks (hopefully with the help of many other people). Anyway, the link is:
http://tms.bluwiki.com/go/So_You_Think_You_Might_Have_TMS
As I said, though, it will be changing a lot, so you may want to check back again in a couple of days and it should be much better.

FFT
Go to Top of Page

skuba

8 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  17:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all suggestions.
I just ordered the book from amazon.

One thing I am already doing is not thinking much about where it hurts and that it hurts. When I feel hurting I stop and tell myself that it's just a distraction played by my brain as an avoidance for unconscious rage. So I think about it a little bit.

I can't say really that that helps the pain go away, because my pain only happens in very specific movements. For example, my chest only hurts when flexed or stretched. Doesn't hurt when relaxed.

Do you guys know where to search doctors that diagnose TMS? Is there a directory? I am in the Los Angeles and Orange County area in California.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  21:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Schechter is probably your best bet:
David Schechter, MD
8500 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 705
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
or
3855 Hughes Avenue, Suite 200
Culver City, CA 90232